Community Message Boards

Thread: Reheating Fish?

Reheating Fish?

I'm new to the seafood cooking world, so please forgive me if this is a silly question!

I always prepare meals on Sundays to take with me to work for the rest of the week. I generally take chicken salads, soups etc. However, with my new found love for baked/grilled fish I was hoping to also take this in with me and reheat it for lunch. Is this possible? If so, would I reheat it any differently than, say, chicken?

I do have access to a microwave and refrigerator/freezer.

Thanks in advance!
    ERIKA (a dairy-free, and almost soy-free kind of gal)

"I don't know where she got her cooking skills from. I barely have the patience or skill to cook noodles. I'll tell you one thing, though, all she ever wanted to do as a kid was bang on pots and pans." - my mother

IMO, fish just doesn't do well when it's reheated. But I'm somewhat of a fish snob as I go out of my way to get the freshest fish possible. The fish odor and taste that many people find repellent is actually the smell of fish beginning to rot. Fresh fish smells like clean seawater. Ever had the misfortune to be around an office kitchen when some misguided soul has nuked fish leftovers?

That said, I have some recipes that I prep the day before which don't have to be cooked until the next day such as salmon baked in individual packets with veggies.

IMO, you would be better off having poached salmon for lunch which is designed to be cooked beforehand. A really good tuna salad is also great for lunch.

I sometimes reheat salmon at home, or use it in pasta, but I wouldn't heat any fish in the microwave at work. I've experienced the smell of nuked fish in the lunchroom and wouldn't want to be the cause of it. As blazedog said, you could have cold poached salmon, or you could use leftover salmon in salad. Salmon's the only one I ever use as a leftover.

Thanks for the advice. I've never smelled reheated fish in the microwave. It seems that everyone here either goes out or brings in lean cuisine. I think they are all either a) afraid of their stoves or b) don't realize that the grocery store extends beyond the confines of the frozen food department.

Hmmmm...does anyone know if there is anything seafood related sold at Trader Joe's or Whole Foods that would work well in being heated up in a microwave? Should I just ban myself from the use of seafood and microwave together?!

I'll probably just settle for heated up chicken and just serve seafood on the weekends.
    ERIKA (a dairy-free, and almost soy-free kind of gal)

"I don't know where she got her cooking skills from. I barely have the patience or skill to cook noodles. I'll tell you one thing, though, all she ever wanted to do as a kid was bang on pots and pans." - my mother

If I bring fish leftovers to work, I only nuke them enough to get the chill out. Seafood has such a delicate threshold of overcooking, I don't think it's wise to take a chance. I normally like my food very hot but I make an exception when I'm reheating a seafood dish.

This is especially true for shrimp which become little hockey pucks if they're overcooked.
    "There's no food in your food!!" Joan Cusack to John Cusack in "Say Anything."

I don't think you have to confine yourself to seafood on the weekend. It's just that fish isn't the best candidate for being reheated.

There are some stir fry dishes with shrimp that I eat as leftovers but as the previous posted pointed, you need to be very careful about reheating on a low level or the shrimp becomes unappetizing. I really can't imagine reheating a fish that was simply grilled or baked since fish takes so little time to grill or even bake in its raw state that reheating it on purpose doesn't make sense (IMO).

Why not grill fish when you get home from work rather than try to heat up leftovers. Fish is especially well suited for being made in single servings. There are a ton of salmon recipes that call for a simple glaze and would be done by the time you've changed and washed up from work.

Originally posted by blazedog
    Ever had the misfortune to be around an office kitchen when some misguided soul has nuked fish leftovers?

I have to agree with blazedog - one of our professors used to reheat fish for lunch and the entire floor would reek all afternoon. I love fish, but it's just something that doesn't work too well for eating in an office environment.
    In a nutshell, I'm saying no to fishbread.
    - Wendy W - CLBB

I've worked in two office that absolutely prohibited fish in the lunchrooms, and with good reason - you know how microwave popcorn can be smelled all over the entire floor? Fish is worse.

We've done well with just putting frozen fish in the refrigerator the night before, and it's usually thawed by the time we get home and we have it for dinner.
    "Why should you go to jail for a crime someone else noticed?" - attorney Bob Loblaw, Arrested Development

"Spend time with your kids so we don't have to" - Florida Dept. of Juvenile Justice bumper sticker

www.nostinkycheese.blogspot.com

I have to agree with those who say reheating fish in an office microwave isn't "politically correct." Maybe having the fish for dinner AGAIN on Monday night would be an option... you could turn it into a fish sandwich, a salad topped with the fish or even incorporate it into pasta.

Originally posted by blazedog: Ever had the misfortune to be around an office kitchen when some misguided soul has nuked fish leftovers?
    Yes, YES!! There was a lady in our office who nuked leftover restaurant-prepared shrimp with linguini. (Restaurant-prepared...Read: LOADS of garlic.)

She nuked it too long. She roamed from office to office with a can of lysol but to no avail. It was hours till the smell dissipated.

When she saw me nuking fish leftovers, she said, "Brave..." I then told her never to nuke fish leftovers longer than it takes to just get the chill out of the dish. Fish leftovers (with or without pasta) are about the only food I don't reheat till piping hot. It's perfectly safe to nuke fish leftovers, as long as you are right on top of it, like when you make popcorn. Burned popcorn reeks!
    "There's no food in your food!!" Joan Cusack to John Cusack in "Say Anything."

Wink cold fish sandwich

I've often cooked catfish for dinner & theres sometimes a few fillets left over.I've made sandwichs the next day just like I'd be useing cold cuts.There's something about fresh fried catfish that you won't get that fishy smell from.I know you were asking about seafood but.
    grow organic & eat fish