Community Message Boards

Thread: I can Freeze a ham, right?

I can Freeze a ham, right?

Okay, I was going to buy my Easter Ham this weekend to beat the rush, but DH says that's a bad idea, because it's not a good idea to freeze an uncooked ham. Is it bad? I never pondered it because I never needed to. Any suggestions?
    Thanks
    Theresa

If I am recalling this correctly, most hams are already cooked. I have frozen ham slices many many times. It's not a fresh ham, right? Look at the label--most hams only need heated, not cooked. Maybe, if I am right

Erin's correct in that a cured or smoked ham is cooked and a fresh ham is not but both can be frozen.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

With Easter being just two weeks away and hams being smoked, I'm not sure why you'd need to freeze it all, unless the issue is refrigerator space. I'd prefer not to suffer the loss in quality, however slight.

BOB

Originally posted by bobmark226
    With Easter being just two weeks away and hams being smoked, I'm not sure why you'd need to freeze it all, unless the issue is refrigerator space. I'd prefer not to suffer the loss in quality, however slight.

BOB
    Actually, the Honey Baked Ham comes with directions for freezing if you're not using it within a week...not that has ever been a problem around here with one of those babies!

Everything on storage of every kind of ham known to man (not really) can be found by scrolling down to the bottom of the USDA's ham page:

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/OA/pubs/ham.htm

Bob, assistant to Ms. Sneezles who does not vacuum

Originally posted by bobmark226
    Bob, assistant to Ms. Sneezles who does not vacuum
    D@mn, had such high hopes, too!