Community Message Boards

Thread: Barley in a rice cooker???

Barley in a rice cooker???

I'm a new rice cooker owner, and I want to see what kinds of grains this new toy can cook. My manual only gives directions for different varieties of rice. Has anyone ever tried cooking pearled barley in a rice cooker?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Laurie

I know that most rice cookers time the cooking by the weight in the pot. Doesn't barley take longer to cook? What the heck, try it with maybe just a 1/2 c of barley. That way you wouldn't waste too much. Or you could finish cooking it if wasn't done.

Just MHO...
    *Susan*

"One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries."

A.A. Milne

*Susan*

"One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries."

A.A. Milne

Susan,
    That herbed barley from the first link looks really good! Thanks for the link!
    Susan
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Susan,

Thanks for the info! This bb is always such a great resource! I don't have enough time now to try this tonight, but when I do, I'll report back.

Laurie

Originally posted by sneezles

That herbed barley from the first link looks really good!
    Susan, that one caught my eye too...but is pearled barley the same as quick cooking pearled barley? I don't think I've ever seen a quick cooking.

And I've also never seen a rice cooker that I could time! Mine is a 3 cup Salton ($20 ) that I've had about 10 years and it's automatic! I'd love to do more with it than just rice, but I wonder...may have to try this just to check!
    Last edited by Jewel; 03-25-2004 at 10:20 PM.
    ~ "The right shoe can change your life...."- Cinderella ~

Originally posted by Jewel

Susan, that one caught my eye too...but is pearled barley the same as quick cooking pearled barley? I don't think I've ever seen a quick cooking.

And I've also never seen a rice cooker that I could time! Mine is a 3 cup Salton ($20 ) that I've had about 10 years and it's automatic! I'd love to do more with it than just rice, but I wonder...may have to try this just to check!
    Pearl barley comes in both regular and quick-cooking forms. Regular takes about 45 minutes to cook while the quick-cooking takes about 10-12 minutes. So now I'm confused by the time given in the recipe!
    I don't know of any rice cooker that has a timer I thought the recipe was using the 40 minutes just as an indication how long it should take to cook.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Funny, I just tried Tuesday night. I didn't have enough brown rice so mixed some barley in with it (1 cup rice, 1/2 cup pearl barley, and 3 cups water). It was good but next time I would add just a little more water.

My rice cooker doesn't have any kind of timer. I think it just cooks until the water is absorbed then switches over to the "keep warm" setting. Works every time!
    Barbara

Nutella is love! - 9yr old ds