Community Message Boards

Thread: How long do chestnuts last?

How long do chestnuts last?

And are they any good? I found them hidden in the back of the cupboard the other day and when I looked at them they had something white on the outside of the shell. Are they any good or should I just throw them out? How long do they keep? I can't believe they got buried and forgotten about, I bought them for Christmas.

I just bought a can of chestnuts and the expiration date is December 2006. (They had other cans there that had expiration dates for the end of this year too - I'm sure this isn't a fast-selling product.) So it seems they do last awhile (in a can anyway). Does your jar or can have a date anywhere? I have seen jars of chestnuts in the grocery store and didn't notice any white stuff but I didn't look too hard. I've never actually used chestnuts (this will be my first time - I got them for the Pork and Chestnuts in the Jan/Feb issue) so I can't give any other advice.

Another post to just say oops - you're probably talking about the raw nut, huh? Sorry if that is the case and I got confused. I really don't know much about those!

I can't remember where, but during the holidays I remember reading that chestnuts should be used fairly quickly. I don't think yours would still be good, especially if they have something white on the outside of the shell. I was disappointed in the chestnuts I got over the holidays. I used them within a few days of buying them, but about half had mold growing on the chestnuts inside of the shells! Ick!
    Beth
    "If I had a minute for every hour that I've wasted I'd be rich in time." Jack Johnson, "Broken"

Beth, thanks for answering the question. I guess I will toss them. How disappointing. I guess I will look for canned(jarred) chestnuts this holiday season.

After buying them you can store them in the freezer. We have neighbors in the mountains who have their own tree and that is how they keep them.