Community Message Boards

Thread: Question for Canadians (or other non-US citizens)

Question for Canadians (or other non-US citizens)

Canadians --
    If you were to travel to Cuba what airlines service the island -- I know that Mexicana goes there (as does Air Canada although they would not sell me a ticket even if I bought it outside of the US nor will they tell me from which cities they fly). I have a license from the US Treasury Dept. that will authorize me to visit Cuba and a 32 page list of agencies authorized to sell me tickets and yet most of the ones I have called do not offer that service -- so I was wonder what airlines flew there (maybe through the Carribean Islands). ANd if I had any other options -- you can not look this information up on the web as it is blocked to US citizens.

TIA

jasmine

I don't have an answer but am curious as to why you are going there? If it's too personal, just forget I asked.

I do have an aquaintance who went there (last summer I think). If I can get in touch with her, I will ask her. Also, I think sassafras traveled there a few years ago.

My sister (U.S. citizen) went to Cuba about two years ago on some sort of educational tour. Not sure what airline she flew, but I'm pretty sure she went through Jamaica.

My father was a diplomat posted there when I was in High School/College.

You can go through Canada, but I always flew threw Cancun. Not a good connection though. You arrive in Cancun about 11, flight to Cuba leaves somewhere between 6 pm and midnight. Don't remember airline, but that's the way I used to go multiple trips over multiple years. (approx '96-'98 years ago - yes, i'm young )

PM me with any other questions... I'm happy to answer, and to hear where you're going.

I have friends who work for the state department there. They are stationed in Havana (although the US doesn't maintain an embassy there they have a small corner of the Swiss Embassy). Becuase I am visiting US citizens who work for the US government there I can go legally (with visa and treasury license) and I would like to see it before it becomes overly commercialized and to see my friends who I haven't seen in two years -- and it seems as good a place as any to get a little spring sun but the US government has sure made it hard to make travel arrangements as an individual -- they publish a charter schedule but can't understand why you might need a copy of the April schedule before April -- and the phone number for the charter I would need (a different one flies each day of the week) is a disconnected number on the March schedule -- plus making all these long distance calls from work is quite a challenge so I was looking at options besides the Miami charters [my gosh is all one sentence -- I think I have lost my skills of punctuations with this exercise in frustration]

The biggest problem was the Cuban Embassy decided to hold up my visa in "retaliation" and this has all become rather last minute and I am usually a preplanner and that is just driving me crazy (plus it is expensive). I did find a trip through Cancun but they can't get me back to the US without spending a night in Cancun (which I would rather avoid because it either shortens my time in Cuba or makes me late getting back for work)

j

That was my dad - working for US State Dept there.

I hope it all works out... but I'm not surprised to hear of the frustrations you're having. I could tell you some stories ... but I won't. I'll just say that you'll have a wonderful time. Its such a beautiful country....

I can't say how, but flying through Canada can give you some really amazing rates that include resort stays.
    “When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be”

Hi there,

I was in Cuba in 1995 and I hear that it has already changed immensely since then. I remember meeting one American while we were there. It was Super Bowl weekend and a bunch of us were sitting around listening to the game on the radio. The only football they had on their tv station was soccer.

I checked out some of the charter flights from Canada to Cuba and it looks like Air Transat and Skyservice both fly there. Normally you would book them through a tour operator and there are quite a few different ones.

Can you see this site? Cuba

I'll see what else I can find...
    "Auntie, you are a good cooker." ~ My nephew, age 5

I found this site http://www.cubalinda.com/English/Tra...on/Flights.asp

would this work? Oops...Oceanjasper I see you found it too.
    Maureen

"Trying to live the life I imagined"

I hate it when I close the browser by mistake! Here is a site that lists a lot of flights into Cuba...

Air Service to Cuba

Hope that gives you some more ideas!
    "Auntie, you are a good cooker." ~ My nephew, age 5