Community Message Boards

Thread: ISO - My Bubbe's Butter Sugar Cookie Recipe

ISO - My Bubbe's Butter Sugar Cookie Recipe

I have been searching for years for a recipe for the butter cookies my Bubbe made.

They were rolled cookies made with butter. I seem to recall there being a faint undertone of orange but I could be mistaken. There weren't any fancy ingredients like sour cream or cream cheese. I used to bake them with her as a little girl. Since her measurements were all based on pinches and Yahrzeit candle glasses, nobody in my family, nobody in the family ever got the recipe :

Maybe somebody else has a better preserved culinary heritage to share with me?

Thanks in advance.

Sorry, I never baked cookies with my grandmother but do have 2 very well tested recipes to share...

Rolled Sugar Cookies

1 1/2 cups butter, softened
    2 cups white sugar
    4 eggs
    2 teaspoon vanilla extract
    5 cups all-purpose flour
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1 teaspoon salt

Cream buter and sugar until light in color. Add eggs and vanilla and blend well. Combine dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, and salt) , then add and mix just until all is blended. Cover and chill dough for an hour or over night. Preheat oven to 375 F (190 C). Roll out half of the dough on floured surface to 1/4 - 1/2 inch thickness. Cut with cookie cutter. Place on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 8-10 minutes until lightly browned at the edges. Cool before decorating or eat plain. Makes approximately 4 - 5 dozen depending on cookie size.

Seems I'm ahving a bit of trouble opening my MC! So will have to post the other recipe later...times like this makes me hate pc's!!
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!