Community Message Boards

Thread: Miracle Grow Potting Soil - Okay to use for growing herbs?

Miracle Grow Potting Soil - Okay to use for growing herbs?

I bought some seeds & I want to grow some herbs indoors in pots. I have Miracle Grow Potting Soil. The back of the bag states that it is great to use for flowers, veggies, etc. But I am a little concerned.

Is is REALLY safe/healthy to use for herbs & veggies- things that you eat?

I just wonder, what exactly IS in Miracle Grow to make things grow bigger & better? Are they chemicals?

Do you use it for veggies?
    What is your opinion on this?

I have used it in the past and for starting plants this year. Most of the starters I get, including herbs, at the store have the MiracleGrow plant markers.
    You can't drink rum on the beach all day if you don't start in the morning.

Re: Miracle Grow Potting Soil - Okay to use for growing herbs?

Originally posted by sunberst
    I just wonder, what exactly IS in Miracle Grow to make things grow bigger & better? Are they chemicals?
    The package will tell what the active ingredients are in a 3 part code: 0-0-0 (Nitrogen (N)-Potassium (P)- Phosphorous(K)). There may be other things but all are essential nutrients that plants need from the soil. The 3 main ones will leech from the soil as you water or are mobile within the plant so won't be around for ever. And yes, it's fine for growing herbs. The liquid fertilizers that you spray on should not be used for a minimum of 5 days before harvesting so would not be appropriate for herbs.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Beth, the Miracle-Grow should work fine on your herbs. If you plant seeds, don't use the MG until the seedlings develop 4 pair of leaves, though. For plants, you can use it anytime. Just follow the instructions on the label and don't use it too often!
    Vicci

Can't you just eat what I put in front of you? Do you have to know what it is?
    Ria Parkinson, Butterflies (BBC, 1978-83)

I would be cautious, actually. Most herbs are plants that are native to the Mediterranean area ... dry, with somewhat rocky soil. They are not supposed to need a lot of fertilizer. I have actually burned up herb plants by adding MiracleGro to mature plants, even when the solution was greatly diluted.

Actually, it depends on the type of soil used. If it's a nice loamy potting soil, perhaps with fertilizers added, you might not need additional fertilization. If you're planting outside in regular garden soil, fertilizers will help. I used MG last year in my veggie/herb garden for the first time and I had better results than in the pervious year when I was too distracted with many other things to really take care of my plants (yes, it happens...). I've also used all-organic fertilizers but really saw no difference between them and MG (MG is an inorganic fertilizer-- don't ask me to explain this!). I mean, there are ways to "perfectly fertilize" by testing the soil frequently and adapting your fertilization program to those results, but I tried this one year and boy, was it time consuming! As the soil is watered and moves downward (in both pots and in a garden setting), most of the fertilizer leaches down as well, but you don't need to constantly fertilize to keep the plant healthy. Just enough to keep it growing well. Remember to measure the MG accurately and use sparingly.
    Vicci

Can't you just eat what I put in front of you? Do you have to know what it is?
    Ria Parkinson, Butterflies (BBC, 1978-83)

Re: Miracle Grow Potting Soil - Okay to use for growing herbs?

I have Miracle Grow Potting Soil. The back of the bag states that it is great to use for flowers, veggies, etc.
    Beth is talking about potting soil not using the granular Miracle Grow or the water soluble fertilizer!!

Re: Re: Miracle Grow Potting Soil - Okay to use for growing herbs?

Originally posted by sneezles

Beth is talking about potting soil not using the granular Miracle Grow or the water soluble fertilizer!!
    You are right!!!

When I was at the store (Target) the only potting soil that they had was Miracle Grow. I don't plan on adding any additional fertilizers to the herbs, I was just curious about the potting soil itself.

Thanks for the input. I think I will plant the seeds tonight...

which leads me to another question. My pots are fairly small (about 6" across). Should I pour the entire packet of seeds in the pot, or just sprinkle a few? I want to grow oregano, thyme, basil & chives. This is new to me. Last year I just bought a basil plant that was already started and kept it in my kitchen (It is still alive!). This is the first time I am planting seeds for this sort of thing.

I would put two or three seeds at MOST in each pot. If more than one sprouts, you will probably want to thin it down to one plant per pot by pulling out the weaker plants.

Re: Re: Re: Miracle Grow Potting Soil - Okay to use for growing herbs?

Should I pour the entire packet of seeds in the pot, or just sprinkle a few? I want to grow oregano, thyme, basil & chives. This is new to me. Last year I just bought a basil plant that was already started and kept it in my kitchen (It is still alive!). This is the first time I am planting seeds for this sort of thing.
    No, don't use all the seeds! With Basil don't put soil over the seeds just lightly press into the medium with the pad of your finger, a 6" pot will only need 3-4 seeds and then you will need to thin. Chives are pretty much the same growing conditions but the plants can be closer together and you'll need to prune regularly to promote new growth, cut just above the white stem. Chives are great to plant around roses because greenflies hate it!
    Thyme and oregano thrive on neglect (ie underwatering) and slightly more acidic soil but even Basil and chives will thrive in 7.5 pH. With thyme be sure to water so as not to get the leaves too wet as this can cause leaf fungal diseases and they will not survive. You can even put some small limestones on the top of the pot to keep the soil as the right pH.
    My oregano is in its 3rd year and I treat it pretty much the same as rosemary...I forget about it until I need some for a recipe! Mine is in a pot on the back porch and I never even cover it for frost ('course we don't get hard long freezes like you do ).