Community Message Boards

Thread: How do you store leftover onion(s)?

Question How do you store leftover onion(s)?

Just wondering what you all do... My mom usually puts them in the fridge but I thought that would dull the taste. I put them in a plastic baggie and put with my potatoes (in a dark place) but find that they sprout green things in a couple of days if I don't use it up.

Any suggestions?
    Charisse

if the oven has already been cut and/or peeled, I put it in a baggie in the vegetable crisper. Onions are in high rotation at our house, so there's no worry of sproutage or spoilage.

I've put 1/2 an onion in a baggie before, and it did okay for a day or two. It's hard to tell if it lost taste, though, because when I chopped the leftovers up, they've usually been sauteed and then added w/other ingredients for a dish.

You could always chop them up and then freeze them - I haven't done it, but I've heard that they defrost fine.
    In a nutshell, I'm saying no to fishbread.
    - Wendy W - CLBB

If I know I'm going to use it up in a day or so, I'll leave it on the countertop in those ziploc containers. If I think its going to be awhile before I use it up, I put it in the frig.
    Democrats are Sexy. Who has ever heard of a good piece of elephant?

I just put them in a plastic baggie and throw it in the veggie drawer in the fridge. Works fine.

Or, you could buy one of these from Tupperware:

Now that's some cool Tupperware, I've never seem those before. Wonder who thinks up these things.

I throw them in a baggie and put them in the fridge.

The tupperware is kinda cool, though!
    Wouldn't you like to be a Susan, too?

I use the Tupperware things and they work great! They seem to last awhile longer than a ziplock.
    *Susan*

"One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries."

A.A. Milne

chilling them cuts down on the tears. i usually stick them in the fridge in a baggie. you can also freeze them just fine or even buy chopped frozen onions for recipes.
    storing onions and potatoes together makes the onions go bad faster. something about the potatoes i guess. i read that somewhere a while ago so now i store my whole onions in the pantry and my potatoes in a paper bag in the bread drawer. potatoes also stay good longer in a paper bag as opposed to the plastic bags they come in.hth!
    i need some tupperware gadgets i think - why don't i know anyone who sells it? do they still do tupperware parties?
    angela - mom of abby age 2, miles born 4-18-05;physician; yoga enthusiast; amateur cook

Great - thanks guys!! Guess my baggy will do and angelamarie I will keep them separate from my potatoes!!

Those tupperware gadgets are way cool
    Charisse

I have 2 of those Tupperware gadgets (purchased on impulse at Target). The little piece sticking out acts as a hangar so you can hang them from your 'frig shelves with the flat side facing in. Sort of acts as a space saver, too!
    Jennifer

And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.
    --Abraham Lincoln

Write it on your heart that everyday is the best day of the year.
    --Emerson

I used to have one of those Tupperware containers. Then DH kept storing leftovers in them - one day he put leftover soup in it, and didn't shut the cover the whole way. So after I opened the fridge door to discover it had spilled out everywhere, I hit the container and then could not remember where I had put it!

We have a Tupperware kiosk at our mall - maybe I'll have to pick one up and hide it from him.
    In a nutshell, I'm saying no to fishbread.
    - Wendy W - CLBB

I try to buy small onions to begin with. Then, I cut an onion in half when I want to use it, but only peel the part I am using. The other goes into a baggy in the vegetable drawer. Keep for a few days!
    For bulk onions, when you buy them in the market, I have an ONION KEEPER, it is a large unglazed claypot with a lid, the pot has holes on the sides to let the air circulate and this sits on the counter in my laundry room which is next to the kitchen. I have a companion garlic keeper.
    Curleytop

You can actually buy the tupperware things online at www.tupperware.com or you may find that you have a consultant in your area. I don't know if there's a lot of people that actually sell tupperware anymore although I do know a regional manager in my area -- met her at Weight Watchers!
    Elizabeth
    Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning Satan shudders and says...."Oh s***, she's awake!! "

I love onions and use them all the time, so they don't have a tendency to go bad in my house, but I just wrap them in foil to keep the smell at bay and put them in the cheese drawer.

Potatoes and Onions

This is super late. hahaha. But onions and potatoes cause each other to go bad quickly. So store them in seperate places.
    Quote Originally Posted by cniles View Post
    Just wondering what you all do... My mom usually puts them in the fridge but I thought that would dull the taste. I put them in a plastic baggie and put with my potatoes (in a dark place) but find that they sprout green things in a couple of days if I don't use it up.

Any suggestions?

I use the plastic thing that looks like an onion. It does a pretty good job keeping it fresh.

Cut onions will keep refrigerated for up to three days if tightly wrapped. Some of the flavour qualities of onions begin to evaporate as soon as it's chopped, but as long as the onion pieces are firm, crisp, and not slimy, they are good to use. That said, it's likely that your chopped onion will lose flavor before it goes bad.

When I have leftover onion, I usually store it in the freezer. If packed loosely enough, I can easily break the frozen chunk up to get how much I need without thawing it out.