Community Message Boards

Thread: Colored Powdered Sugar???

Colored Powdered Sugar???

Is it possible to make colored powdered sugar? I have tried searching the boards and the web, but I haven't had any luck. Has anyone tried this before? Is it even possible?

Thanks in advance.

-Anna
    "Broken cookies don't have calories" - Unknown

I was tinting coconut last weekend and came across this in my search for directions...

From: http://www.baking911.com/decorating_...ar&coconut.htm

It is possible to dye powdered sugar in two forms.
    TINT: Supplies - Assorted food coloring and 1/2 lb. Confectioners Sugar. To Make - Place confectioners sugar in a blender. Make a small well in the center and place a drop of food coloring into the well. Blend until sugar is evenly tinted.
    PETAL DUST: For dry powdered sugar, there is a wonderful product sold in cake decorating stores called Petal Dust, a very concentrated powdered color that comes in small plastic pots. The range of color is enormous and you use a toothpick to transfer a tiny amount of the Petal Dust to one cup or so of powdered sugar at a time. Stir with the toothpick and add Petal Dust until a desired shade is achieved. The powdered sugar may then be sprinkled over the surface for decoration or over a stencil.

Not sure if it works, but hope it helps!

78704 - more than a zipcode, it's a lifestyle.
    Cool! I may use this to jazz up the easter cake! I feel the need for pretty pastel colors.

--Kristin
    Your actions speak so loudly I can hardly hear you - Henry David Thoreau

Thank you so much. I had never heard of petal dust, but now I have an idea of what to look for.

My intent for the colored powdered sugar was to jazz up some lovely Easter treats. It would be a lovely way to celebrate the holiday. And I can't wait to get baking again (I gave up sweets for Lent).

Thanks again.

Petal dust may be a little hard to find unless you have a cake decorating store nearby (I don't think Michaels carries it) - it similar to luster dust. I hadn't heard of mixing it with powder sugar before - the common use is on chocolate - you brush it on directly to add a tint or mix with alcohol to get better coverage. Here's a link from the store where I take chocolate classes - Do It With Icing

You might try looking for colored sanding or crystal sugar (thick crystals - try Michaels or King Arthur) or just coloring your icing (use colors made specifically for icing and not food coloring). A lot of grocery stores are carrying a spray can from Betty Crocker or Micheals carries a similar product made by wilton. It gives you the same effect as an air sprayer without having to buy the equipement and colors - although it is a lot messier (make sure you protect surround areas). I've seen it in blue, green, pink and yellow. ).Betty Crocker product

I bought some small sugar eggs (about the size of red hots) that I used to sprinkle on a cake. They were egg shaped but it may be easier to find the flat type (grocery store, Michaels, etc

Thanks for the tip on the petal dust. I guess I will forget about going that route.

I don't want to use the colored powdered sugar for icing, just dusting so the spray won't work. Thanks though for the advice.

-Anna

I just colored some powdered sugar for Russian Tea cakes I am making for a baby shower. I used liquid food coloring and had to stop blending a few times to mix the food coloring and sugar between my fingers to form little clumps..then blend again. It turned out fine.

LorAnn Oils has some basic powdered food color for a reasonable price--