Community Message Boards

Thread: Anyone Try the Key Lime Cheesecake Yet?

Question Anyone Try the Key Lime Cheesecake Yet?

I'm looking for reviews on the Key Lime Cheesecake from April 2004 CL. I'm thinking about making it to bring for Easter dinner but would love to hear if anyone's made it yet and how it turned out.

Also, my BIL is a big fan of Blueberry Pie so somone usually brings a store bought one. I should make a Blueberry pie. Any good recipes out there for one of those?

As always, TIA!

Sarah
    Sarah

I made a blueberry pie last July 4th with blueberries from my bush and it was wonderful. I think the blueberries make all the difference - mine tend to be pretty tart, which I like. Anyway, the recipe I have is from the New York Times. I suspect the recipe for the filling is pretty standard. The recipe for the crust is a little different (by the way, after the crust came out of the food processor, I was afraid it would never come together - but it did).

Blueberry Pie with Lattice Top

For the pastry:
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    2/3 cup confectioners' sugar
    1/2 tsp kosher salt
    1/8 tsp baking powder
    12 tbs unsalted butter in small cubes
    1 1/2 tbs freshly grated lemon zest
    1 egg yolk, 1 more if needed
    2 tbs heavy cream
    For the filling:
    5 cups blueberries
    3 tbs cornstarch
    3/4 cup sugar
    2 tbs lemon juice
    1/4 tsp kosher salt

1. In a 1-gallon plastic bag, combine flour, confectioners' sugar, salt and baking powder. Wrap butter cubes in plastic wrap. Place both in freezer for at least 30 minutes. Pour contents of flour bag into a food processor and pulse a few times. Add butter and pulse until mixture is reduced to flakes. Add lemon zest, egg yolk and heavy cream and pulse 5 times. Dough is ready if it holds together when you press mixture between your thumb and index finger. Otherwise, add another egg yolk.
    2. Pour dough onto a countertop. Using the heel of your hand, knead dough bits until they cohere. Form into two balls, one slightly smaller than the other, and flatten each into a disk. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least 3 hours.
    3. In a large bowl, mix together the blueberries, cornstarch, sugar, lemon juice and salt.
    4. Roll out larger ball of dough between 2 sheets of floured plastic wrap. When it is 1/8-inch thick, remove top layer of plastic and invert dough into a pie dish. Gently lift edges and press into dish, without stretching dough. Chill. Roll out other ball of dough, and when it is 1/8-inch thick, slice into 1/2-inch wide strips.
    5. Remove pie shell from refrigerator and pour berry mixture into it. Arrange strips of pastry in a lattice pattern on top. Cut overhang of dough to 3/4 inch, then roll it up and over lattice edge, making a neat rounded border. Crimp this border. Chill unbaked pie while you heat oven to 400 degrees.
    6. Bake pie until filling bubbles on edges and crust is golden brown, 40 to 45 minutes. Check after 20 minutes. If crust is browning too quickly, cover it with a round band of aluminum foil. Place finished pie on a rack and let cool to room teperature. Serve with huge dollops of whipped cream [or ice cream! - cai].

Yield: 8 servings

Bumping!! I've been eyeing that Key Lime Cheesecake recipe too...
    Kuvy

"Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage."
    Anais Nin (1903-1977)

I'm hoping someone has reviewed this too. I'm going to make it for Easter. I make one from Gourmet magazine that is the best ever, so I'm hoping this will be a good substitute for that very rich one!

Is this the one that has tofu in it??
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

Originally posted by cai
    I made a blueberry pie last July 4th with blueberries from my bush and it was wonderful. I think the blueberries make all the difference - mine tend to be pretty tart, which I like. Anyway, the recipe I have is from the New York Times. I suspect the recipe for the filling is pretty standard. The recipe for the crust is a little different (by the way, after the crust came out of the food processor, I was afraid it would never come together - but it did).

Blueberry Pie with Lattice Top

For the pastry:
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    2/3 cup confectioners' sugar
    1/2 tsp kosher salt
    1/8 tsp baking powder
    12 tbs unsalted butter in small cubes
    1 1/2 tbs freshly grated lemon zest
    1 egg yolk, 1 more if needed
    2 tbs heavy cream
    For the filling:
    5 cups blueberries
    3 tbs cornstarch
    3/4 cup sugar
    2 tbs lemon juice
    1/4 tsp kosher salt

1. In a 1-gallon plastic bag, combine flour, confectioners' sugar, salt and baking powder. Wrap butter cubes in plastic wrap. Place both in freezer for at least 30 minutes. Pour contents of flour bag into a food processor and pulse a few times. Add butter and pulse until mixture is reduced to flakes. Add lemon zest, egg yolk and heavy cream and pulse 5 times. Dough is ready if it holds together when you press mixture between your thumb and index finger. Otherwise, add another egg yolk.
    2. Pour dough onto a countertop. Using the heel of your hand, knead dough bits until they cohere. Form into two balls, one slightly smaller than the other, and flatten each into a disk. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least 3 hours.
    3. In a large bowl, mix together the blueberries, cornstarch, sugar, lemon juice and salt.
    4. Roll out larger ball of dough between 2 sheets of floured plastic wrap. When it is 1/8-inch thick, remove top layer of plastic and invert dough into a pie dish. Gently lift edges and press into dish, without stretching dough. Chill. Roll out other ball of dough, and when it is 1/8-inch thick, slice into 1/2-inch wide strips.
    5. Remove pie shell from refrigerator and pour berry mixture into it. Arrange strips of pastry in a lattice pattern on top. Cut overhang of dough to 3/4 inch, then roll it up and over lattice edge, making a neat rounded border. Crimp this border. Chill unbaked pie while you heat oven to 400 degrees.
    6. Bake pie until filling bubbles on edges and crust is golden brown, 40 to 45 minutes. Check after 20 minutes. If crust is browning too quickly, cover it with a round band of aluminum foil. Place finished pie on a rack and let cool to room teperature. Serve with huge dollops of whipped cream [or ice cream! - cai].

Yield: 8 servings
    Thanks, Cai. This sounds goood.

Yes, silken tofu, drained. Just picked it up at Costco.

Here's the recipe from the home-page...It says april 2004 so assume it's the right one.
    It was rated 4 stars there.

Key Lime Cheesecake
    From Cooking Light

Silken tofu and fat-free cream cheese create a lush, low-fat cheesecake. Egg yolks thicken the lime curd to yield a velvety texture. You won't use all of the sweet-tart lime curd for the cheesecake; serve leftovers over angel food cake or fresh fruit. Lightly blotting the lime rind on a paper towel makes it easier to sprinkle over the cheesecake batter.

Crust:
    8 sheets honey-flavored graham crackers
    2 tablespoons apple juice
    1 tablespoon butter, melted
    Cooking spray

Filling:
    3/4 cup Key Lime Curd (see below for recipe)
    1/3 cup sugar
    1 tablespoon cornstarch
    2 large eggs
    1 large egg white
    1 (12.3-ounce) package soft silken tofu, drained
    1 (8-ounce) block fat-free cream cheese
    1 tablespoon grated lime rind

Preheat oven to 350.
    To prepare crust, place crackers in a food processor; process until crumbly. Add apple juice and butter; pulse 4 to 5 times or until moist. Press mixture into bottom and 1/2 inch up sides of a 9-inch springform pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350 for 8 minutes. Cool.

To prepare filling, combine Key Lime Curd, sugar, and next 5 ingredients (sugar through cream cheese) in food processor; process until smooth. Pour into prepared pan. Sprinkle evenly with rind.

Bake at 350 for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 325 (do not remove cheesecake from oven); bake an additional 20 minutes or until almost set. Turn off oven, and partially open oven door. Cool cheesecake in oven 20 minutes. Remove from oven; run a knife around outside edge. Cool to room temperature. Cover and chill 8 hours or overnight.

Note: Nutritional analysis includes Key Lime Curd.

Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 wedge)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
    CALORIES 239 (30% from fat); FAT 7.9g (sat 2.8g, mono 2.6g, poly 1.7g); PROTEIN 10g; CARB 30.9g; FIBER 0.5g; CHOL 131mg; IRON 1.3mg; SODIUM 277mg; CALC 112mg;

Key Lime Curd
    From Cooking Light

This recipe goes with Key Lime Cheesecake

1/2 cup sugar
    1/2 cup bottled key lime juice (such as Nellie and Joe's)
    5 large egg yolks
    1 1/2 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces

Combine first 3 ingredients in a medium, heavy saucepan. Cook over medium heat 7 minutes or until thick, stirring constantly with a whisk. Remove from heat. Add butter; stir with a whisk until butter melts. Place pan in a large ice-filled bowl for 20 minutes or until lime curd comes to room temperature, stirring occasionally. Cover and chill.

Yield: About 1 1/2 cups (serving size: 1 1/2 tablespoons)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
    CALORIES 54 (45% from fat); FAT 2.7g (sat 1.2g, mono 0.9g, poly 0.3g); PROTEIN 0.9g; CARB 7g; FIBER 0.0g; CHOL 69mg; IRON 0.2mg; SODIUM 13mg; CALC 8mg;
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

Wallycat,

Yes, that's the one. I just saw the review from CL recipe finder. Here's what that reviewer says...

"Brought this to a BBQ. Made a great dessert. Everyone loved that it was low-fat (for cheesecake). I used tequila instead of apple juice to bind the graham crackers. The bad thing about the recipe is it's unclear directions -- eight sheets of graham 04/07/04"

I think I am going to go for it but I won't have a review until after Easter.

Thanks,
    Sarah
    Sarah

Made this sunday & would rate this only pretty good. The cheesecake texture was very nice but the crust seemed too chewy. Don't get me wrong, it was certainly edible, but just did not knock anyone's socks off. The lime curd recipe gives a little extra curd. I would say I have maybe 1/4 cup leftover, not 3/4 as written. So I would say it was good but not a repeater for us.

Valerie,

I appreciate your review. I never did end up making it myself!

Thanks,
    Sarah
    Sarah

Even though this recipe got cool reviews, I made it for Friday's dinner group. We all liked it. The crust was fine, not chewy. The group felt that it wasn't firm, like cheesecake, but more light and chiffon-ey (sp?). Even DH enjoyed a leftover piece last night. He sort of paused when I told him it contains tofu.

One change I made was to put the leftover curd over the top, after it had cooled. I knew I would end up throwing the leftover curd out, and that was the best part!

Originally posted by rmg_CA
    I'm hoping someone has reviewed this too. I'm going to make it for Easter. I make one from Gourmet magazine that is the best ever, so I'm hoping this will be a good substitute for that very rich one!
    Would you post the one that you use from Gourmet when you have a chance, please?
    TIA
    "Let food be thy medicine" ~ Hippocrates

Sure will... here ya go. If you go to www.epicurious.com and search for this recipe, they have a picture of it so you can see how the "ribbons" go on.
    Robin

From May 2002 Gourmet Magazine
    Key Lime Cheesecake with Mango Ribbons

If you can't find fresh Key limes in your area, you can substitute bottled Key lime juice. We've tried several different kinds in our test kitchen, and the only one we like so far is Manhattan brand*.
    Active time: 1 hr Start to finish: 8 hr (includes cooling)

For crust
    1 1/4 cups fine graham cracker crumbs (5 oz)
    3 tablespoons sugar
    1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter, melted

For filling
    2 (8-oz) packages cream cheese at room temperature
    1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
    3/4 cup fresh Key lime juice (strained from about 1 1/2 lb Key limes) or bottled
    1/2 cup sour cream
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla
    2 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    3 large eggs

For topping
    2 large firm-ripe mangoes
    1 tablespoon fresh Key lime juice (strained) or bottled
    1/2 cup chilled heavy cream
    1 tablespoon sugar

Special equipment: a 9- to 9 1/2-inch springform pan; a mandoline or other adjustable-blade slicer

Make crust:
    Preheat oven to 350F and butter bottom and side of springform pan.

Stir together crumbs, sugar, and butter in a bowl with a fork until combined well, then press evenly onto bottom and one-third up side of pan. Bake crust in middle of oven 8 minutes and cool in pan on a rack.

Make filling:
    Reduce oven temperature to 325F.

Beat cream cheese with an electric mixer at medium speed until fluffy, then beat in sugar. Add lime juice, sour cream, and vanilla and beat until smooth. Mix in flour and salt at low speed, scraping down side as needed, until just incorporated, then add eggs all at once and mix just until incorporated.

Pour filling into crust and set springform pan in a shallow baking pan. Bake cake in middle of oven until set in center, 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes. Cool completely in springform pan on rack. (Cake will continue to set as it cools.)

Run a thin knife around edge of cake and remove side of pan. If desired, transfer cake with a large metal spatula to a serving plate.

Make topping:
    Peel mangoes and, leaving fruit whole, slice very thinly lengthwise (slightly less than 1/8 inch thick) with mandoline (use caution peeled mango is slippery). Halve wide slices lengthwise. Gently toss mango slices with lime juice.

Beat cream with sugar in a bowl with electric mixer until it just holds stiff peaks, then spread over top of cheesecake. Bending and curling mango slices, arrange them decoratively over cream.

Cooks' note:
    Cheesecake (without topping) can be made 1 day ahead and chilled, covered. If desired, bring to room temperature. Add topping just before serving.

* Available via Manhattan Key Lime Juice (212-696-5378).

Makes 8 to 10 servings.

Gourmet
    May 2002

Gourmet Entertains

Originally posted by rmg_CA
    Sure will... here ya go. If you go to www.epicurious.com and search for this recipe, they have a picture of it so you can see how the "ribbons" go on.
    Robin
    From May 2002 Gourmet Magazine
    Key Lime Cheesecake with Mango Ribbons
    Thank you!!

I was planning on making the Magarita Cheesecake next month for a party but now I'm thinking about making this one. Any thoughts?
    "Let food be thy medicine" ~ Hippocrates

I have just started using Key limes. I made the classic lemon bars with key lime juice instead. Is there a noticeable difference between fresh and bottled juice? I was just thinking that maybe since the bottled juice is mostly in specialty food stores (at least that's where I've seen it), that maybe it was of a better quality than bottled lime and lemon juice that you can get a a regular grocery store.

Also, I had key limes bars at a restaurant (I'm not that creative to think of making the classic lemon bars and trade the juice to key lime) and they were light green. Did they use food coloring or what was the trick?

Originally posted by Lauren
    Even though this recipe got cool reviews, I made it for Friday's dinner group. We all liked it. The crust was fine, not chewy. The group felt that it wasn't firm, like cheesecake, but more light and chiffon-ey (sp?).
    Every lowfat cheesecake I've made came out like this... not a cheesecake texture at all, and to me, it's just not cheesecake without that classic, firm feel in your mouth. Has anyone made a lowfat cheesecake that had that texture?

Crust:
    56 reduced-fat vanilla wafers (about 8 ounces)
    1 tablespoon butter or stick margarine, melted
    Cooking spray

Filling:
    3 (8-ounce) blocks fat-free cream cheese, softened
    2 (8-ounce) blocks 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened
    1 cup granulated sugar
    3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    4 large eggs

Preheat oven to 400.
    To prepare crust, place wafers in a food processor; pulse 2 to 3 times or until finely ground. Add butter; pulse 10 times or until mixture resembles coarse meal. Firmly press mixture into bottom of a 9-inch springform pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400 for 10 minutes; cool on a wire rack.

Reduce oven temperature to 325.

To prepare filling, beat cheeses with a mixer at high speed until smooth. Add the granulated sugar, flour, salt and vanilla, beating well. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
    Pour cheese mixture into prepared crust; bake at 325 for 1 1/2 hours or until almost set. (Cheesecake is done when the center barely moves when pan is touched.) Remove cheesecake from oven; run a knife around outside edge. Cool to room temperature; cover and chill at least 8 hours.

Yield: 16 servings (serving size: 1 slice)

This is CL's pumpkin cheesecake recipe. I left out the pumpkin and spices and used this recipe to just make a plain cheesecake. It has a nice dense texture. I didn't let it chill for 8 hours. Probably more like 3 hours. I use this as my base recipe to add different flavors to. I use a graham cracker crust more than the vanilla wafer crust, but both are good.

How did you guys have leftover lime curd? I followed the directions to a T and only got about 2/3c. total - not even the 3/4c. the recipe called for. I considered halving the recipe for the curd since I did know what I'd do with the leftovers but I'm glad I didn't. Weird.

I also didn't know what "8 sheets" of graham crackers yielded crumb wise but I used gingersnaps for the crust and just guesstimated. Came out fine.