Community Message Boards

Thread: ISO: Recipes Using Fat-Free Half and Half

Here is a great recipe! I have made it twice using chicken. I too don't know what to do with the leftover non-fat 1/2 and 1/2, so I made it again .
    * Exported from MasterCook *

TURKEY OR CHICKEN PAILLARDES WITH PASTA AND PEAS IN LEMON SAUCE

Recipe By :L.A. TIMES 12/06/00
    Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Low Fat Pasta
    Poultry

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    TURKEY OR CHICKEN
    4 Slices Chicken Breast
    2 Cloves Garlic -- Crushed
    1 Teaspoon Salt
    1 Teaspoon Pepper -- Freshly ground
    1/4 Cup Flour
    1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
    1 Tablespoon Butter
    PASTA AND SAUCE
    1/2 Pound Angel Hair Pasta
    Salt
    2 Tablespoons Onion -- Chopped
    1 Clove Garlic -- Minced
    2 Tablespoons Butter
    1/2 Teaspoon Pepper
    1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
    1 Cup Chicken Broth
    1 Tablespoon Lemon Zest
    1/2 Cup Land O Lakes Fatfree 1/2 and 1/2
    1 Cup Peas -- Frozen/thawed
    1/4 Cup Parmesan cheese -- Grated
    1 Tablespoon Parsley -- Minced

POULTRY: Using meat mallet or rolling pin, pound poultry slices slightly between pieces of plastic wrap. Spread slices with garlic and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Coat both sides with flour.

Heat large skillet over medium-high heat and add oil and butter. Cook poultry slices on both sides until browned, 1 to 2 minutes per side. It may be necessary to do this a few times at a time. Remove from skillet and keep warm. Do not wipe out skillet.

Cook pasta in boiling salted water until done. (4 minutes). Drain and set aside and keep warm

In skillet used to cook poultry, saute onion and garlic in 1 Tbsp. butter over medium heat and season with pepper and dash salt. Deglaze pan with lemon juice, scraping up bits of garlic and onion from bottom. Add broth and lemon zest and cook until bubbly, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in cream and cook until sauce thickens, 1 - 2 minutes.

Add remaining butter and remove from heat. Toss well then add cooked pasta and toss until pasta is coated with sauce. Stir in peas and cheese.

Arrange pasta, peas and poultry on serving dish and sprinkle with parsley.

NOTES : It was good! A keeper.

Lightbulb

Hi - I love cooking with fat free half and half. I use it anytime a recipe calls for evaporated milk, milk or heavy cream. It is richer than skim milk so sauces don't turn out watery. Try it in this month's issue recipe for Roasted Chicken with Wild Rice Soup, page 126. It's great!

Question ISO: Recipes Using Fat-Free Half and Half

I have a pint of fat-free 1/2 and 1/2 that's about to expire. Does anyone have any recipes I can use this in? I've been thinking about soup, but would be interested in anything. And, I've never used this stuff before. Is it any good?
    Thanks!

Cool

ugh. just think about what they've done to it to make it fat-free, so my mother says.

Lightbulb

I wouldn't really consider this recipe a true brle, but rather a fruit and cream recipe. We enjoy it a lot!

Raspberry Brle

PREP: 10 min; COOK: 10 min; BROIL: 3 min
    Makes 4 servings

If raspberries aren't available, try blueberries, or sliced strawberries, peaches or nectarines.

1 cup raspberries

1/3 cup sugar

2 tablespoons cornstarch

teaspoon salt

2 cups fat-free half-and-half or fat-free (skim) milk

teaspoon vanilla

4 teaspoons packed brown sugar

1. Place raspberries evenly in bottom of four 10-ounce custard cups or ramekins.

2. Mix sugar, cornstarch and salt in 2-quart saucepan. Stir in half-and-half. Heat to boiling over medium heat, stirring frequently. Stir in vanilla. Spoon
    over raspberries.

3. Set oven control to broil. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon brown sugar over mixture in each custard cup. Broil with tops 4 to 6 inches from heat 2 to 3 minutes
    or just until brown sugar is melted. Serve immediately. Cover and refrigerate any remaining desserts.

1 Serving: 195 calories (20 calories from fat); 2 g fat (0 g saturated); 0 mg cholesterol; 170 mg sodium; 44 g carbohydrate (2 g dietary fiber); 2 g protein.

Smile

Thanks everybody! I ended up using it in a creamy white chili recipe that called for whipping cream. It was wonderful. I have saved the other two recipes.

luv2cook, I tend to agree about fat free poducts and rarely use them. I think most of them are gross to put it bluntly. But I think it's hard to avoid all fat free and low fat products if you want to use CL recipes. I often read about how "healthy" people think they are cooking and eating by using these products, but I wonder how "healthy" this actually is. How do they make fat free 1/2 and 1/2 anyway?!

Here's a link to the Nutrition Health Newsletter, which is written by the Center For Science in the Public Interest. http://www.cspinet.org/nah/10_99/rsvfp.htm

They gave a thumbs up to fat-free half and half. According to this article, fat-free half and half is made mostly of skim milk and carrageenan for body. According to Merriam-Webster's dictionary, the definition of carrageenan is "a colloid extracted from various red algae and especially Irish moss and used especially as a stabilizing or thickening agent".

Based on this information, I personally don't think fat-free half and half is "gross". Used in moderation, I have no problem with it. I feel better knowing that it's made of mostly skim milk.

well really aren't all those things made from powered skim milk?