Community Message Boards

Thread: Foodie Trip - Maine to NJ - Anywhere I Should Stop?

Foodie Trip - Maine to NJ - Anywhere I Should Stop?

Going up to Maine in June for my sister's wedding. On the way back, the travel agent planned a vacation taking us through New Hampshire, Vermont and New York (Catskills area). Any places in particular a foodie should stop for either food (i.e., Vermont Cheddar!) to buy or a special restaurant along the way? Thanks in advance!
    Visit my website (mostly cooking, with life thrown in for good measure):
    http://www.sweetnicks.com

Is Moosewood along the way at all? I think that would be a cool place to stop.

You said Maine to New Jersey...if I were you I'd stay OUT of New Jersey. I would rather the whole state didn't exist. Well, at least Union, NJ. My hatred for that state goes much deeper than I can express in one life time. LOL! Notice I said STATE and not inhabitants. I'm sure there are plenty of nice people that were forced...errr...chose to live there.

What were we talking about again?

If I think of some others, I'll be sure to let you know! Moosewood was just the first place I thought.
    ERIKA (a dairy-free, and almost soy-free kind of gal)

"I don't know where she got her cooking skills from. I barely have the patience or skill to cook noodles. I'll tell you one thing, though, all she ever wanted to do as a kid was bang on pots and pans." - my mother

Also, I don't think that any trip to Vermont would be complete without some maple syrup. Yuuuuuuuum.

"I don't know where she got her cooking skills from. I barely have the patience or skill to cook noodles. I'll tell you one thing, though, all she ever wanted to do as a kid was bang on pots and pans." - my mother

Um, I live in NJ. Can't do anything about avoiding it, since we happily call it home.

Didn't want anything on the way to Maine, since we'll be on our way to the wedding with a car load of crap for the wedding and no time to stop, especially with a soon-to-be-two-year-old. That's why we're planning on stretching out the trip back and make it a little more relaxing.

I'll look into Moosewood - thanks for the tip!

If you're in Maine, you HAVE to stop in York and go to Stonewall Kitchens! They have the most amazing jams and jellies, sauces, spreads, just everything. They have a small kitchen-type shop as well. There are samples available for nearly everything they make.

Depending on where you are in Vermont, a cousin of mine couldn't say enough about stopping at Cabot Farms (cheese) or Ben & Jerry's. I think there's one more place they visited, but I can't remember where it may have been.

Your trip sounds like something I'd love to do! Have fun!!!!!

What quickly comes to mind: The Cabot Cheese factory, Ben and Jerry's is fun, (I believe both are in or around Waterbury, VT) Simon Pierce has a wonderful restaurant for lunch overlooking the river/mill. Fun to watch them blowing glass, and check out the wonderful pottery although even the seconds have become quite pricey. The restaurant uses the pottery and glassware in place settings.

Late for work, but fun to think about.

-Susan

There are lots of places in VT - Cabot and B&J being two that I'd echo - there's also a CIA (Culinary Institute of America) restaurant in Burlington and our favorite all-time meal ever was brunch at a restaurant called Perry's just outside of Burlington. PM me if you want more specifics. I think Bobmark also had a thread on Vermont, although I think the actual thread wasn't about VT, originally and just seemed to veer in that direction, if I'm not mistaken. Probably good info there.

Originally posted by NewMrsG
    There are lots of places in VT - Cabot and B&J being two that I'd echo - there's also a CIA (Culinary Institute of America) restaurant in Burlington
    Sorry to be a stickler (I live in VT), but it's the New England Culinary Institute, which I'm sure is just as good as the CIA! They have restaurants in Burlington, Montpelier, and Essex.

What sort of things are you looking for? I'll put on my thinking cap if you have some specifics in mind. I also travel to Maine a lot (where exactly are you going?), so I can help you out there as well.

Chris

Originally posted by Chris415

What sort of things are you looking for? I'll put on my thinking cap if you have some specifics in mind. I also travel to Maine a lot (where exactly are you going?), so I can help you out there as well.

Chris
    The reception will be at the Samoset in Rockport. The next day, we're going to Waterville -- this area we know because my sister went to Colby in Waterville, so we're going to visit all our favorite stops there. Then from there onto Jefferson, NH and overnighting in Concord. Then going through Bennington, VT, Troy NY and overnighting in Catskills. The travel agent put together this itinerary to spread out our trip home for the 2-year-old. It includes stops at Santa's Village, Friendly Farm and Catskill Game Farm. Since all those were really for our son, it would be nice to throw in some stops for us, too! Happy for any suggestions you may have. Thanks!

Originally posted by MISSINDI

The reception will be at the Samoset in Rockport. The next day, we're going to Waterville -- this area we know because my sister went to Colby in Waterville, so we're going to visit all our favorite stops there. Then from there onto Jefferson, NH and overnighting in Concord. Then going through Bennington, VT, Troy NY and overnighting in Catskills. The travel agent put together this itinerary to spread out our trip home for the 2-year-old. It includes stops at Santa's Village, Friendly Farm and Catskill Game Farm. Since all those were really for our son, it would be nice to throw in some stops for us, too! Happy for any suggestions you may have. Thanks!
    Hmm...I might not be able to help after all. Bennington is more than an hour from me to the south, and to be honest, I just drove through there for the first time a month ago! (I live between Burlington and Middlebury.) And although I too went to college in Maine, I'm not that familiar with that part of the state. I've been to all those parts, Waterville, Troy, Concord, but don't have any foodie recomendations. Although there's a great sushi restaurant in Concord if that appeals to you!
    Chris

Chris - you're right - my DH and I are actually headed to Burlington next week for our anniversary and had been thinking about going there for dinner, so I just caught it myself!

Since I'm highjacking the thread anyway (sorry! ) - any idea how pricy dinner is there (at NECI)?

Chris - you're right - my DH and I are actually headed to Burlington next week for our anniversary and had been thinking about going there for dinner, so I just caught it myself!

Since I'm highjacking the thread anyway (sorry! ) - any idea how pricy dinner is there (at NECI)?
    Congratulations and have a wonderful time! I hope the weather cooperates! To be honest, I've never eaten a full-fledged dinner there, although I do think I ordered a one-person pizza for dinner once. My recollection says the meals are less than $20, although I've been known to be wrong before! I found their menu online, but no prices.

For what it's worth, I like the Culinary Institute, but I've had much better food and experiences at other restauants than I've had there. There is the most romantic Italian restaurant that has the most delicious food and most decadent tiramisu I've ever had. I can give other recc. if you're interested....

Guess I'll stop talking and hijacking now!
    Chris

Chris - I'll pm you - hope that's okay!

Sorry about the rant about NJ. I didn't realize it was your home state! Geeez.....good one, Erika.

The Moosewood is in Ithaca, near Cornell. If you are in Troy, NY, you can take 88 from Albany to Binghamton, and go north on 81? to 79 west to Ithaca. It should take several hours.

If you are going from Concord NH to Burlington you either go on interstate or through some of the back roads. If you get on 89, you can stop in Norwich at the King Arthur store. Exit 4, I think, is Queechee where Simon Pierce is. There is a gorge and place for to walk around. Ben and Jerry's and Cabot will be south on Route 100 from 89.

South of Burlington is the Teddy Bear Factory and the Shelborne farm which your child should love. If you are heading to Troy from Burlington, you porbably are heading south on 7 and will go through Middlebury. There is an Arabian horse farm just outside the city and Middlebury is fun to walk around.

From there you will go south and cross to Troy/Albany.

Sami
    Don't give up, Moses was once a basket case.

3 years ago my DH and I rented a cottage on a lake outside of Montpelier and went to dinner twice at the N.E. Culinary Institute restaurants downtown. The first time we went to the fancier site upstairs for our anniversary and it was wonderful, and then on another night to the downstairs site. We sat outside and had wonderful mussels in a wine herb broth with crusty sourdough and a tasty chardonnay. 3 years later I'm still salivating at the memory.

You can also watch the cooks through a glass paneled wall which was kinda cool. Remember it fondly.

One other thought for what it's worth. You're heading out of Maine kind of quickly. If you're in Rockport might be kinda fun to go to Camden or other Maine spots. I can't wait for our week at the end of June on a lake outside of Boothbay. A great place to celebrate our 20th anniversary. Ah vacation....

-Susan

Originally posted by ssusan
    One other thought for what it's worth. You're heading out of Maine kind of quickly. If you're in Rockport might be kinda fun to go to Camden or other Maine spots. Ah vacation....
    -Susan
    We'll actually be in Maine from Thursday through Sunday, but caught up in wedding festivities. She's getting married in Camden, actually. We just thought we'd take it a little slower getting home (only deadline is to be in NJ by Wednesday)... of course, open to different routes, as well.

No problem, Erika. I don't know you, so, of course, didn't take it personally. NJ, like any other state, has good points and bad points, but as long as we live here, we focus on the good.

I'm Maine bound too!

Maine is my most favorite state in the nation and we're heading there in June, too!

I plan on eating as many lobster rolls from the shacks on the dock as possible all week! That's the height of my culinary desires for the week.

One year DH and I ate an awesome dinner at Jamison House (spelling?) in Freeport, right next to LL Bean. It was a great meal.

Sorry I don't have any real input, but I couldn't leave this thread alone. Since I have family in the state, we don't eat out often while we're there and when we do, it has to be seafish.

My grandmother always goes to a tea house in Waterville but I don't know the name of it. And Brown's Warf in Boothbay Harbor has good lobster. If you're up for a clambake, check out Cabbage Island, it's a great experience!

Enjoy where ever you eat! You can't come home without Vermont Maple Syrup and some maple lollipops!

Karen

Thumbs up

Since you are overnighting in Concord and then heading to Bennington, this could be on your way with really no trouble. You would just have to head south on the Everett Turnpike for about 30 minutes to Manchester and then you would take Route 101 West. Route 101 will take you all the way to Keene NH, then Route 9 to Brattleboro VT (which has a really cool downtown with good shopping and eclectic food shops/restaurants, also a great old movie theater) Route 9 through VT goes west all the way to Bennington I think. Hogback Mountain is a great wayside stop for views. ANYWAY. Forget Ben and Jerry's. Go this way and stop in Jaffrey, NH at Kimball Farm for great lobster rolls, and ice cream. Get the Banana split (Kimball Special if you don't like bananas) and if you are a lightweight, skip the lobster roll! These things are legendary. For about $6, it is easily about 7-8" high, with homemade ice cream (raspberry choc. chip is my personal fav) and homemade whipped cream! You will NOT be disappointed. There is a small airport next store where you can take the kids to perhaps see some planes land...It is on Rte. 124, right off Rte 101. Here is the link to their directions page...

http://www.kimballfarm.com/location_directions.html

Let's see, the Chelsea Royal Diner on Rte. 9 just outside of Brattleboro was always good. You can also search on www.yankeemagazine.com for events and restaurants in New England. I forgot what season you were going...have you been to North Conway NH? Close to Jefferson, and HUGE shopping, and home to the Roadkill Cafe restaurant. Drive the Kancamangus...skip the Old Man, he fell down! The Polar Caves is great for kids. Open May-Oct I think. Ellacoya State Park on Lake Winnipisauke is great for swimming, nice clean bathhouse to change...OK, I have taken up enough of this board.
    Have fun, enjoy the great state of NH!!! (And the others too!)

This place is awesome. Lord's Harborside Be sure to get the baked stuffed lobster. I'm drooling at the thought. yum!

York is quaint too... and Ogunquit.

Have a great time!
    ~ I used to be undecided, but now I'm not so sure ~ Boscoe Pertwee

I just skimmed this post, but did anyone mention King Arthur Flour? They are in Vermont. Also, if you like mini breweries, there is a real nice little brewery in Vermont called Kross.

To highjack further, and certainly just my opinion, I'd go to Smokejacks just down Church St. before I ever went back to NECI.

BOB