Community Message Boards

Thread: Attn. Meat mavens! Best cuts for grinding your own beef?

Attn. Meat mavens! Best cuts for grinding your own beef?

I've finally decided to make use of the grinding attachment for my KA mixer -- also decided I'd like to try and get into the habit of making my own ground beef.

What is the best cut to use? I'm very confused -- I've read a bunch of old threads, some say to use chuck, others say don't use chuck. Some recommend sirloin. Does anyone do a "blend" of different cuts?

I'm looking for a somewhat lower-fat result, but I know you need a certain amount of fat in ground beef for it to cook correctly, and so that you don't get dried-out hamburgers.

Also, when buying meat for grinding, are we talking roasts or steaks? (That may be a silly question, but I'm meat-impaired. )

Any other tips?

TIA!

Helene
    "We reject as false the choice between our safety and our ideals. Our founding fathers, faced with perils we can scarcely imagine, drafted a charter to assure the rule of law and the rights of man, a charter expanded by the blood of generations. Those ideals still light the world, and we will not give them up for expedience's sake."
    --President Barack Obama, 1/20/09

First, once you start grinding you're own meat you'll never go back. It's so much nicer to know what's in it. You can have a lean chuck grind just don't use too much of the fat. I use chuck roasts and sirloin roasts because I figure it's a once a month deal that way. I pretty much judge what I'm going to use by the price at the store and then trim as much or a little fat as necessary.
    I also grind my own pork, chicken and turkey...
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

I'm glad to see this thread...

I'm now the proud owner of a Kitchen Aid Professional. I received a promo offer of a free attachment (if you purchase a mixer by May 31). I have my eye on the food grinder attachment...

Has anyone made their own sausages?
    "Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!"

--Auntie Mame

I haven't ground my own in awhile, but that is such a wonderful gadget. I learned from Curleytop to buy sirloin when it goes on sale. It is nice and lean.

Spitfire, I have made my own chorizo (a CL recipe)and Italian sausage (without casings with the Penzey's seasoning) using the grinder with excellent results.
    Life is all about a$$; you're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, trying to get a piece of it, behaving like one, or you live with one.

Maxine

Originally posted by Wendy w

Spitfire, I have made my own chorizo (a CL recipe)and Italian sausage (without casings with the Penzey's seasoning) using the grinder with excellent results.
    Wendy,

What Penzy's seasoning do you use exactly?

TIA!

--Auntie Mame

We grind our own beef all the time. I usually buy top sirloin (when on sale) or sirloin tip roasts. I do look for the leaner cuts and buy in bulk.
    *Susan*

"One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries."

A.A. Milne

I also grind my own meat. I usually use sirloin roasts, also, with an occasional chuck roast, and I always buy them on sale. I also buy pork shoulder to make sausage out of. We like the Frugal Gourmet's Red Wine Italian sausage a lot. I don't usually stuff it into casings, though. I just package it in 1# bags and use it in spaghetti, etc . (It's great on pizza!). I bought my meat grinder attachment for the KA about 2 years ago, and I think it's well worth the money.

Patrice

Spitfire, Penzey's makes an Italian Sausage seasoning that you can add more hot red pepper to if you want it spicier. I am embarassed to say that I haven't eaten it myself, but gave it as Christmas gifts 2 years ago. The recipients said that it was very lean and tasty.
    Life is all about a$$; you're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, trying to get a piece of it, behaving like one, or you live with one.

Maxine

Just wanted to say that I bought a chuck roast the other day, and ground it last night. So easy!!! I haven't cooked with the meat yet -- I portioned it out and put it in the freezer. Will probably take it out for a test run this weekend.

Thanks again for the advice!

H.
    "We reject as false the choice between our safety and our ideals. Our founding fathers, faced with perils we can scarcely imagine, drafted a charter to assure the rule of law and the rights of man, a charter expanded by the blood of generations. Those ideals still light the world, and we will not give them up for expedience's sake."
    --President Barack Obama, 1/20/09

Patrice and Wendy, would you two mind terribly posting the recipes for your sausage? Thanks!

Here you go Searcher. Luckily, I have posted this a couple of times. This reminds me, I haven't made this in ages.

Mexican Chorizo
    from CL Jan/Feb 1999

1/2 pound boned pork loin
    2 T cider vinegar
    1 T chili powder
    1 1/2 t paprika
    1 t vegetable oil
    1/2 t sugar
    1/2 t dried oregano
    1/2 t ground cumin
    1/4 t salt
    1 garlic clove, crushed
    *I added 2 generous shakes of Penzey's adobo powder

1. Trim fat from pork. Combine all ingredients in a food processor, and pulse until well-blended. Plalace mixture in a zip-lock bag; seal and marinate in the refrigerator for 8 hrs. or overnight.
    ** I doubled the recipe and ground the pork with the KA grinder attachment. I then added the meat to the rest of the ingredients and marinated overnight as specified.

2. Place a medium skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add pork mixture; cook 5 minutes or until done, stirring to crumble. Yield: 1 1/2 cups (serving size: 1/4 cup) Please note that they did not include calorie and fat breakdowns, they did that with the soup recipe that accompanied it.

Maxine

Thanks for posting the chorizo recipe, Wendy! I can't wait to get my KA grinder attachment.

I just ordered Bruce Aidell's Complete Sausage book. He wrote June's Cooking Class article in CL. The book contains a lot of awesome-sounding sausage recipes (like Chicken & Apple, Country Sage, Venison, Buffalo, German brats, Thai Chicken & Turkey...).

Did I say how excited I am to get that attachment? With all the sausages DH & I want to try, it's going to be like Munich during Octoberfest in my house

Now, if only we can start brewing our own beer.

--Auntie Mame

Originally posted by SPITFIRE

Now, if only we can start brewing our own beer.
    You should.
    And you are welcome.

Maxine

Penzey's has a great Bratwurst seasoning too! We make our own sausage all the time, but we generally make 100 lb batches so we use a commercial grinder that we bought. Yummmm...once you make your own you'll never buy it at the store again! Enjoy!!
    *Susan*

"One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries."

A.A. Milne

Sorry I haven't posted the recipe yet - I'm been busy at work and haven't been able to log on - they actually expect me to work while I'm here . I'll post it tonight or tomorrow am.

Patrice

OK, Here's your recipe for Red Wine and Cheese Italian Sausage - this is from "The Frugal Gourmet"

* Exported from MasterCook *

ITALIAN CHEESE AND RED WINE SAUSAGE

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 1 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Bbq List Sausage

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    4 pounds boneless pork -- shoulder or butt
    1 tablespoon coarse ground fennel seed
    2 bay leaves -- crushed
    3 tablespoons chopped parsley
    5 garlic cloves -- crushed
    1/2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
    3 teaspoons salt
    1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1 cup grated parmesan or romano cheese
    3/4 cup dry red wine
    4 yards sausage casings
    olive oil for cooking

You will enjoy this variation on the plain Italian pork sausage. The addition of cheese and wine raises this sausage to dinner table conversation.

Grind the meat using the coarse blade.

Mix all ingredients together and allow the mixture to sit for 1 hour before stuffing into casings.

To cook, place in a frying pan with a tiny bit of olive oil and just enough water to cover the bottom of the pan. Cover and cook until the water evaporates. Then, continue to brown, turning once.

Use throughout the book where Italian sausages are called for.

Makes 4 pounds.

Source: The Frugal Gourmet Cooks with Wine

Posted to the BBQ-List by Edwin Pawlowski on 7 Dec 1998

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 160 Calories; trace Fat (3.7% calories from fat); 2g Protein; 10g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 6518mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 1 Vegetable; 0 Fat.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

My Notes: I don't bother putting the sausage into casings, since we prefer either patties or sausage crumbles. This freezes well- I package it in 1# packages and Food-Save it. I also partially freeze the meat before I grind it. Enjoy!

Patrice