Community Message Boards

Thread: help save the cookies

help save the cookies

I am making the Oatmeal- Spice Cookies from the Sept 97 issue. I followed the recipe except for the brown sugar. Since I was out I looked up the substitute and it told me to replace it with regular sugar and 3 tablespoons Molasses. I did that and baked the first batch and they came out horrible. They are suppoed to be thick and chewy and mine are thin and rock hard. Can I safe my batter or should I just toss it?

Thanks
    Martina

Hi Martina,

I have been in the cookie baking business for 13 years and have had similar problems over the years. My gut feeling is that it's not your substitution. What you did sounds about right. If your cookies came out flat and thin, it could be that it has something to do with another ingredient. Too much shortening? If you used all butter, that almost always results in a flat cookie. Not enough flour?

In any event, if they taste okay, I'd continue. If they taste lousy, toss it. You will lose the cost of the ingredients, but at least not your time and electricity. Believe me, been there, done that.

Debbie

PS Maybe it's just a bad recipe. Did you check the reader reviews on the Food page?

I, too, tried to make these cookies, and they ran all over the baking sheet, and that is the only time since I have been making cookies, that I had to dump them. I think that it is poor recipe!
    Curleytop

Thanks for all the ideas. Well, this is what I did. I figured if the cookies run they need more flour to keep them together. So I added more flour which fixed the flat part of the cookie problem but they were rock hard. So ( I am by no means an experienced cook or baker) next thing I added was some more butter. Figured it would make it more soft which it did. The cookies are still not the way they turned out last time but they are better than before.

By the way the first time I made these cookies about a week ago they turned out super cool. My whole family loved them and they were exactly what we had been looking for . A soft and chewy oatmeal cookie. I will try this recipe again because they are good when they turn out right.

Martina

This is one of my favorite low fat oatmeal cookies. Mine usually turn out soft and chewy, but I found one thing that gave me much more consistent results with this recipe was to use margerine instead of butter. Whenever I used butter they were still good, but a little flatter and not as soft and chewy. Try using different flavored chips in these, too. Yum!

Good luck,
    Karen