Community Message Boards

Thread: Trader Joe's Frozen Guacamole

Trader Joe's Frozen Guacamole

I went to Trader Joe's last week to get my most favorite of all time Black Bean & Cheese Taquitos and also to get my favorite frozen guacamole and they don't carry the guacamole any more!!!!!!!!!!!! How is that possible?? Does anyone else out there love the guacamole?? I think it's better than the fresh one they carry and this way i just throw it my freezer and pop it out whenever i'm ready to use it, it lasts longer than the fresh one. I can't believe that they don't have it any longer.... I hate when this happens!!!
    Everyone needs to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. . .

Pammela,

A good close second is Avo, which is fresh guacamole sold in the deli areas of Vons and Albertsons. The box contains 2 pouches and is very good for pre-made.

Ellen

Ellen, thanks a whole bunch! I would be trying all different kinds as I have only eaten that guac for quite a long time! I will try it! I always add a little sour cream and grated cheddar to my guac.

Sorry, have to say it (even with qualifying the fact that I've never had Trader Joe's guac)...homemade is better!
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

I hate when TJ abruptly drops my favorite stuff. About ten years ago, they stopped carrying frozen framboises from France - those were the best - sigh.

I have never seen the frozen guac there-

At my TJ's they have frozen avocado slices and then the fridge guac packets in the box.

Sorry to hear about this tragedy!

They recently stopped carrying the frozen veggie corn dogs that we liked. They've replaced it with their own brand, which is mushy and gross.
    Grab the guns. I'll make pancakes. ~Sarah Conner

Analagous to "thread-killers," sometimes it seems to me that the minute I fall in love with a product, it gets discontinued! But I can't take credit for this one -- I've never seen frozen guacamole at TJ's. If I had, I would have bought it, because I love gaucamole!

Cool

While I am sorry to hear you can't find the product you've enjoyed and I'm sure you're all tired of me being the stick-in-the-mud when it comes to TJ's Joy on this board, apparently I'm not the only one who's been bitten by a sudden flood of discontinuations. Three for me in a three-month period was more than I felt the store was worth to me.

Originally posted by sneezles
    Sorry, have to say it (even with qualifying the fact that I've never had Trader Joe's guac)...homemade is better!
    I would never disagree with this statement! It's just whether you want to take the time to make it on busy weeknights....apples and oranges, although homemade is always better!

Originally posted by Gail
    While I am sorry to hear you can't find the product you've enjoyed and I'm sure you're all tired of me being the stick-in-the-mud when it comes to TJ's Joy on this board....
    Trust me, you're not alone. Most of the time I just zip my lip and sigh...

BOB

This is some consolation for those of us who just sit around and pine for one of those to open in our area.

*sigh*

However, I'm with Sneezles, fer gosh sakes go get yourself a few avocados, tomatoes, some onion and garlic and get chopping then add hot sauce, lime juice and coarse salt and fresh pepper to taste (cilantro, chilies and tequila optional). Once you have made it there is only fresh guacamole, all else pales. It will ease your pain promptly! (especially if you wash it down with a margarita or two)
    ~ I used to be undecided, but now I'm not so sure ~ Boscoe Pertwee

Cool

I didn't see Pammela's comment till right now, but I was going to say that while I'm a firm believer in fresh (I go the serrano, cilantro, salt, onion and lime route myself-- tomato optional) I've been known to pick up little containers of the stuff from Whole Foods myself. Sometimes it just seems none of the avocados are ripe...

Costco's frozen guac is pretty good - if a little salty for my taste. I like to add in some salsa. It's nice to have a packet in the freezer for emergencies. I also like TJ's frozen avocado slices - and plan to add the two together next time to cut the saltiness and add more texture. The price of each of these items seemed really reasonable compared to the price of fresh avocados in MI most of the year, IMO.

Laurie

And I've never understood why people feel the need to put all kinds of stuff -- like peppers & hot sauce -- in their guac!

The point of avocado and/or guacamole with Mexican is to provide a cool counterpoint to the spicy food. In Indian food, you have the same effect with yogurt & yogurt sauces. So, to me, real guacamole has roughly mashed avocado, a LITTLE minced onion, a LITTLE diced tomato (for color, monstly), and a TINY dollop of real mayonnaise, if desired. Squirt lemon or lime juice into the mix, or onto the food after the guac is applied. It's all you need, I promise!

I add mild chunky salsa - more for the tomatoes than to spice it up. In case you were wondering....

Well if we asked everyone on the BB their favorite way to make guacamole, each and every one of us would have a different favorite! I just liked the frozen for the ease of having it and the comment about getting ripe avocados is so true! You can't always find them the evening you want to make fresh guac and if you didn't plan ahead (who me?) then you're SOOL. Of course almost everyone would prefer to have homemade, but things don't always work out that way. Ahhhh, the wonders of the modern world (and Trader Joes!)

For you southern WI people, rumor has it that a TJ's may be coming to the old Ken Kopps on Monroe St. in Madison. Here's to hoping it happens. I've been dying to go to TJ's every since I started reading this board!