Community Message Boards

Thread: Should I feel lousy on South Beach Phase 1?

Should I feel lousy on South Beach Phase 1?

I just started South Beach Phase 1 on Friday night with dinner being the first meal. Yesterday (Sunday) I had a bagel but otherwise I am being perfect.

However I haven't felt well this weekend and am unsure if I am coming down with something and it happens to be a big coincidence or if the carbs are necessary for the body to function properly. I've been really tired and have had some GI issues.

If you've done SB, how did you feel during Phase 1? I really don't think that 2 days (and having a bagel on one of them) and 1 meal would be enough to blame on SB but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Thanks!

Loren
    The term "working mother" is redundant.

Loren,
    Most likely it is the lack of carbs you're feeling. The headache, lethargy, mood swings are all things your body shows in the "withdrawal" stage. Hang in there by day 4 or 5 it should subside!
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

I did Atkins...but I've been following the Low-Carb threads on the healthy living board and most of them are SBDers. Many people complain of feeling weak and headachey on day 3 or so. Have trouble with their workouts as well. Stick with it, the yucky feeling does go away relatively quickly.
    Democrats are Sexy. Who has ever heard of a good piece of elephant?

Hi Loren,

I am on SBD Phase 1 and definately felt yucky for the first few days. I have not cheated at all except for a low carb flat out wrap last night. I feel better the further along that I get. I actually just started week 3 (I am doing phase 1 for a little extra time to make up for my splurge this weekend).

I am very encouraged by the fact that I lost 10 lbs the first 2 weeks so I figure a little tiredness is worth it.

Robyn

When I did SBD, I felt very tired and lethargic about day 3 or 4. I felt better once I adjusted. It will help to not have any carbs at all during phase I - b/c every time you do, it will take another 2-3 days to get them out of your system, so you make experience the headache/ tiredness again.

I felt cruddy the first couple of days as well. It will go away. I think it's just withdrawal.

Good grief, it's amazing how what we put in our bodies affects us, isn't it?
    Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Wow. I am both encouraged and discouraged by your responses.

Encouraged because I am not alone and discouraged because I'm wondering - is this a really healthy diet? Should I really be doing this?

I guess I'm amazed that it makes so much of a difference. Especially where you said, Molli, that if I did eat some carbs in between I'd be back to feeling lousy again.

Carbs are natural things - it's not like I'm withdrawing from some man-made item. Odd that a lack of them could get your body so out of whack.

Thoughts?

Loren

I think the phase I, at two weeks, as he calls it an induction phase, is just that. It is a time period for your body to stop craving the carbs. I noticed that after the initial 2 weeks, I didn't want the simple carbs like I used to, and when I did eat them, it made me feel horrible. Carbs are good for you, but doing this for the 2 weeks, helps you stop craving them so much.

The problem is that most of the carbs we eat are highly processed so they are not man made. I really do feel much better these days, I was tired through about day 6 (but then again, it was a long hard week at work too). I feel great now and rarely crave carbs. I even resisted a wonderful smelling and looking pan of brownies at a bbq on Friday night.

Robyn

Question

I guess Im still confused,.....why do you think cutting out refined sugar and white flour would be bad? Cocaine is also natural.....

BTW, this isnt a dig at you Loren, I just dont understand how people think these changes are unhealthy.....
    ~Kim~

Nashville Restaurant Examiner - check out my page
    Check out my blog: Zen Kitchen http://onehotkitchen-kim.blogspot.com/

"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."
    Dave Barry

When I started SBD last August, I had that dragging feeling before the second day had passed. I found those little sugar free Jello's were perfect. The first day, all I could think was that I'd never be able to do this because I felt like putting my head on my desk all afternoon. I ate a 10 calorie Jello and felt a good bit better. I decided I'd go for another whopping 10 calories and had a second one. I felt better immediately!!!! I did that 2 days in a row and never had another problem.

My guess is that mine was probably as much mental as my body missing the carbs (and especially the other crap I was feeding it)...but those little treats made the whole thing bearable.

Good luck!!!!

Yes, Kim...but brown rice is not man made, nor are potatoes or fruits. But these are all banned in the first two weeks of SBD! I guess I should say that I did SBD and I was not thrilled. I did it for 10 days, lost a pound and now I am back on WW but I will say I am very "mindful" of my carbs. I do not care for white potatoes and I can live without white rice. I just don't want to have a diet that says you can never have those things again.

I am sorry, Grace! I came here to answer your question! yes, I felt pretty bad the first few days. Also, I continued exercising like I did before SBD and I had a hard time. It was exhausting at the gym, and I could not lift the same weights as I did before. But I have heard that weakness passes. Good luck!

Loren - how are you feeling now? Any better?

I did SBD and too felt lousy for a few days in Phase 1. I attributed to both a change in the types and amount of carbs I was eating AND a big cut in the amount of caffeine I was taking in. The orginal SBD book suggested eliminating caffeine. I was/am a caffeine addict and often got headachy and lethargic if I skipped my morning dose. If you cut down on caffeine, this may have any effect on how you feel as well.

That being said, I've been following the phase 2/3 guidelines for almost 10 months and am quite pleased. I really feel much better.

I,too felt lousy the first couple of days on SB. I got through phase one, lost 6 lbs and then went back and forth between phases 2 &3( I didn't have much weight to lose. Just holiday. But it was a long winter and boy did I enjoy nuts, cheese and the occasional chocolate! Before I knew it I gained 12 pounds! Now I'm watching carbs. Everything in moderation is my motto. I've lost 7 of the twelve lbs and I'm combining my way with SB. I was so cranky when I wasn't getting enough carbs. I read somewhere that low carb diets affect moods. Boy am I a testimony of that!

Carbs and Mood

At one point when I was on SBD, my husband said that if I wasn't careful it would be re-named the South B*tch Diet!!

(I actually think it's a really good eating plan. I'm just not following it at the moment! )

Terri

Originally posted by NewMrsG
    Loren - how are you feeling now? Any better?
    I am feeling much better now, thanks Jori. It's Day 5 for me and I was feeling better yesterday as well.

DD hasn't complained of feeling lousy - she's just starving. She's only doing it because I'm doing it and, at 12, she weighs more than almost all of her friends and wants a jumpstart. She doesn't look fat, just what my mother calls "solid". She eats healthy at home since I'm cooking but her portions are large and she jumps to eat junk and lots of it when she's with friends. I talked to her and told her that a) she doesn't have to do this and b) it's just 2 weeks even if she does stick with it. I'm hoping that the experience will help her to pay more attention to what she's eating knowing that the diet itself will only serve as a model for eating in the future.

Who knows - we may get to Phase 2 and like that as a model for permanent eating. I haven't really read about that or Phase 3 yet.

Do you all stick to Phase 2 or 3 for "permanent" eating style?

Loren

TLee4 I totally agree with you 100%. Funny, my husband said the same thing about the diet as yours. I feel healthier following a "personal" version of SB. You know what bad thing I learned about myself? During that long winter when I was overdoing it on the nuts and cheese, I discovered that I am a true chocolate addict( especially during that time of the month). I craved and experienced pure nirvana when I had my chocolate fix. I can honestly compare that craving to that of a drug addict's. Afterward I had such bad headaches and stomach upset. I've found that the sugar-free Nips and Lifesavers sugar-free chocolate creme savors are good substitutes. I tried sugar-free chocolates. It's good initially but after I swallow it, forget it. GI disturbances. The SF choc. puddings sometimes bother me too. That's why I figured everything in moderation. I'm less likely to fall off the wagon and indulge in choc bingeing. And I'm losing weight.