Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What type of vacuum do you own?

What type of vacuum do you own?

After almost 15 years my Hoover canister vac is biting the dust. Now I need to replace it and don't know what to buy. Some of the better brand names are soooo expensive and I don't know if I can justify the cost. Has anyone owned a Miele, Sebo, Dyson, etc? Tell me about the vacuum you can't live without.

Thanks,

Laura

I have a Dyson. I really like it. Before purchasing it I read the reviews on Amazon.com and they were favorable.
    Elizabeth
    Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning Satan shudders and says...."Oh s***, she's awake!! "

I have a Meile (3 yrs. old) and love it. We paid a ridiculous amount for the thing, but we never have any problems with it, and it has excellent reviews. Many people have their Meiles for 20+ years! We chose this one after going through 3 cheapo vacuums in about 2.5 years.

I'm intrigued by the Dyson's - Costco has one for about $450 I believe. The one they have is an upright, and I really wanted a canister for the stairs...

We just replaced our vacuum a few months ago. We checked out the ratings in Consumer Reports and bought their highest rated Kenmore canister vac. It sucks! In the good way. Seriously. we're really pleased with it. I can't remember the model name right now, but the canister part is blue.

PS: There are several threads about vacs you might want to review while you decide too.

I own a Simplicity which is an American version of the Miele and thus cost a couple hundred dollars less. We wanted a really good vacuum as we have lots of pet hair, dirt, dust etc. We went shopping for the Miele as I've heard great things about it from other pet people but opted for the Simplicity on recommendation of the sales person. We've been very pleased with it for the 6 months or so we've had it so far. I'm still shocked I paid so much to be able to do a chore I don't really like to do!

Kim

Originally posted by lisas3575
    We just replaced our vacuum a few months ago. We checked out the ratings in Consumer Reports and bought their highest rated Kenmore canister vac. It sucks! In the good way. Seriously. we're really pleased with it. I can't remember the model name right now, but the canister part is blue.
    From the sounds of it, we've got what Lisa's got, although ours is a bit older (that's how we chose ours too- Consumer Reports! ). I love the beater brush with the carpet height settings- it does a fabulous job with dog hair on both flat berber carpets and cut-pile carpet.

What do folks think of Orek (spelling?) vacuums?
    "Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!"

--Auntie Mame

Maid Service. I have no idea what they use.
    More calm, cool, scathing logic that drives women crazy...

This is just perfect.... my 8 yr old Royal canister just semi-tanked. the power head and handle need replacement. costs approx $200 because hand tools need to be replaced since the connection is a different size.. I love the vacuum but am not sure I want to spend that much.

I just printed the consumer reports rating & top rated canister is sears kenmore progressive 22612 for $380. the Miele plus s251 is 3rd at $450 but does not receive a very good rating on cleaning carpet (???) the second ranked is a GE ( walmart) for $150. I've had a $150 vacuum before(hoover) and it shed parts as you vacuumed. wheels and belts fell off and plastic pieces snapped at will. It was all plastic crap & a total waste of money. My royal was about $650 new & worth every penny, until now. I want solid and tough. Is the sears one up to it?

Originally posted by Valerie226

I just printed the consumer reports rating & top rated canister is sears kenmore progressive 22612 for $380. the Miele plus s251 is 3rd at $450 but does not receive a very good rating on cleaning carpet (???) the second ranked is a GE ( walmart) for $150. I've had a $150 vacuum before(hoover) and it shed parts as you vacuumed. wheels and belts fell off and plastic pieces snapped at will. It was all plastic crap & a total waste of money. My royal was about $650 new & worth every penny, until now. I want solid and tough. Is the sears one up to it?
    Well, my Kenmore is a few years old but similar to the model in the Consumer Reports ratings, and we have had no problems with it at all. No shedding or broken parts, no repairs.

Cool

Another very satisfied Miele owner.

I had a very old, very reliable Hoover upright for many years which finally died. After trying a new one and a Miele, there was no comparison. It's easy to push around, has nifty attachments to get into places I couldn't touch before, and I like the way it follows me around the house like a good little pet (as compared to having to shove the upright around.)

A friend of mine is thinking of getting a 'Roomba' - has anybody heard of this? It's like a robot vacuum.
    Linda

When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left and I could say “I used everything you gave me.”

Erma Bombeck

I never heard of Roomba. there is one called "Rainbow" on the CR survey...?? The thing I like best about the Royal is that it's mostly metal and has been a solid performer. metal might dent and it may bend a bit but it usually does not snap and drop off. the problem is electronics. just can't decide if it's worth the investment, since parts will get scarcer as it gets older. it will still be useful but not for carpet unless i spend the $$ and then I've still got a machine that may be hard to fix in the future.
    Can't decide. I will be a good consumer & look at the kenmore & miele.

We have a Kirby, which does a great job picking up the pet hair... It seems to help with the allergy problems, too.

My parents have Oreck and I hate using it... I just don't think it does a very good job on the dirt.

We have a Kirby, which does a great job picking up the pet hair... It seems to help with the allergy problems, too.
    Us too! We got ours on eBay from a vacuum repair place and only paid about $400 for the vacuum and attachments, which is much less than people pay buying through one of the vacuum sales reps. The seller sanitized it thoroughly and sent a manual and video so we could figure out how to use it. We love ours, and it really does do a great job on any kind of carpet. We previously had a Bissell that couldn't pick up anything, so the difference when we got the Kirby was amazing.
    I will still never be able to stomach medleys. I either want to hear a song or not hear a song; I never want to hear part of a song.
    - Alan Light

I think it depends on what you're looking for - the Miele is one of the few (the only perhaps?) that is a sealed HEPA system. If you're not as worried about allergies, that's not as important.

Here's a thread on from www.thathomesite.com with lots of opinions, links, and review:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load...440927510.html

We've had an Oreck for 5yrs? Maybe longer - I love the way it works on carpet but not great for floors. So I also have a fairly cheap light weight Dirt Devil.
    Stephanie

Originally posted by ebobbitt
    I have a Dyson. I really like it. Before purchasing it I read the reviews on Amazon.com and they were favorable.
    We are considering buying one of these because of the "no filter, no bag" feature, but I am curious...how do you empty it? Is it easy to do? Our biggest problem is pet hair so hopefully a Dyson is the solution. Thanks!
    Michelle

Kirby.
    Leisa

Just don't buy an overpriced direct sales vacuum (like Electrolux). They are good, not that much better than one you'd get at Walmart, and the salesman gets most of the selling price. I bought one when I was a young bride. I fell for the in-home demo!
    Margaret

Originally posted by HejazSunKat
    A friend of mine is thinking of getting a 'Roomba' - has anybody heard of this? It's like a robot vacuum.
    My SIL has one. It's ok, but I wouldn't have one. It doesn't work well on carpet. I've seen her use it on her vinyl flooring, and even then it left quite a bit of visible stuff on the floor.

I have a Kenmore upright that's about 5 years old. Still works well, and I've never had any problems with it.

Leigh
    "Mommy, Can we Please, Please, Please have spinach for dinner?" DD2(age 6)

I have a Kirby, too. The salesman was DH's friend. Our vaccuum died so I went for it. I think it really picks up the dirt and I love all the attachments.
    Wouldn't you like to be a Susan, too?

While doing some research yesterday, I read that the Dyson has a model called "Animal" that is geared toward pet hair. I don't think that comes in a canister version, though. On the ratings, some vacuums are designed for hard floors like tile, wood, linoleum while others are designed for carpet. That will affect the rating but it may not be designed for that purpose. I did see a brochure on a Miele that is not their top of the line model and is about half the price of the top model. I need to see this in person to tell if it is acceptable. Thanks for all the input.

Laura

Originally posted by kcmo727

We are considering buying one of these because of the "no filter, no bag" feature, but I am curious...how do you empty it? Is it easy to do? Our biggest problem is pet hair so hopefully a Dyson is the solution. Thanks!
    We have a yellow Dyson because we don't have pets. I bought it on sale at Linens n Things and was able to use a coupon so that brought the price down quite a bit. Costco has the purple version, which has a special filter for pet hair but is more expensive.

The hose is very long, so it's fine on stairs. The vacuum has an adjustment for bare floors and for carpets. We use it on both, but have to put on an attachment to get right next to the baseboards and under the kitchen cabinets.

It's fairly easy to clean. You just detach the cannister with the icky looking dustballs, hold it over a trash bag and pull a trigger mechanism to open the bottom. All of the dust falls into the trash bag, but you also have to take the filter part out and knock out the remnants. A bag is much easier cleaning-wise, but I figure we're saving paper and don't have to worry about running out of bags.

We have the yellow dyson and it works great on pet hair. I didn't think the purple one was worth the extra money.

kcmo727 - I find that my Dyson is very easy to empty. Actually there's two methods in the instruction manual and you can pick the one you like best. I have two indoor cats, both longhaired and it works fine on the carpet. I must say the first time I used it I was really surprised at how much dirt it got out of the carpet.

BTW, mine is the yellow one.
    Elizabeth
    Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning Satan shudders and says...."Oh s***, she's awake!! "

Originally posted by Jazzmatazz49
    Just don't buy an overpriced direct sales vacuum (like Electrolux). They are good, not that much better than one you'd get at Walmart, and the salesman gets most of the selling price. I bought one when I was a young bride. I fell for the in-home demo!
    Well, I think my grandmother got her moneys worth out of our "overpriced direct sales Vaccuum". and my mother. and me. We are still using the old green canister Electrolux that is probably 30 years old. At least. Works like a charm. I wouldn't mind a fancy new one with all those filter things etc, but in a pinch, the Electrolux works very well.
    Understand, when you eat meat, that something did die. You have an obligation to value it - not just the sirloin but also all those wonderful tough little bits.
    Anthony Bourdain

I have the Dyson "Animal" and I really like it. I bought it because it has a 17 foot hose, so I can do the stairs without moving the vacuum. The animal comes with an attachment with a moving beater brush inside to do the stairs and that is the only difference from the yellow one.

The Simplicity has the hepa filter (the top end model). We were concerned about about potential allergies/asthma as our young daughter has had some respiratory issues so decided to make the investment in to a vacuum that has the sealed hepa system (as does the Miele).

Kim