Community Message Boards

Thread: Help- my White Sauce won't thicken!

Help- my White Sauce won't thicken!

I am in the midst of making the EW Updated Mac and Cheese. The sauce is made by heating the milk and then adding a thick mixture of flour and a bit of milk. Great way to eliminate fat except mine is not thickening! It did come to a boil for a minute.
    Any ideas on how to thicken it? Should I add more flour/milk?

I usually start out with melted butter, than add the flour until combined and slightly brown, then add the milk stirring with whisk-then I get it to a simmer and bring it down to a low to let it thicken-will take 20-30 mins but should work. Best of luck!

That's how I usually do it too greatcook but this recipe is an attempt to lighten up Mac and Cheese.
    Many people here rave about the recipe...it must be me.

Thanks for your reply!

Kima, how long have you been cooking it? I find that a white sauce made the way you described takes longer to thicken than one made with butter. I don't know how long since I have never timed it, but I do know that almost every time I make a white sauce that way I manage to convince myself that *this* is the time it isn't going to work, and then it finally thickens up.

Claire

you only need a little bit of butter dear-can't you spare a tablespoon or two? (we have light butter here-and that's what I always use-so I feel a little less guilty

Hi Kima! saw your welcome msg to me in your other thread.

as for the sauce, i'd say it'll probably take a while to thicken up.

but if it doesn't and you get desperate, you could try adding a bit of tapioca or cornstarch. a little bit should do the trick. but make sure you mix it properly or you can get little chunky bits of tapioca. i usually dissolve the tapioca in a bit of water to make sure i get all the lumps out and then add the mixture to my sauce.

I tried posting three times yesterday and finally gave up!
    Thank you for all your advice. i put the sauce back on the heat and it finally thickened up quite a bit.
    I have no problem adding butter but at that point, with the sauce already made, it wouldn't have helped. Just need to have a little patience- the recipe says it will thicken in 2-3 minutes but mine ook about 10!

(I found the dish quite bland in the end too)

Nice to see you here sandee!!!

Another "no fat" white sauce that I've done before with good success is to brown the flour in a dry nonstick pan ... this will take out some of the raw flour taste. You have to be diligent and watch the flour, stirring constantly, but it does toast up. From there, you just add the liquid ingredients as you normally would ... milk or stock or combo.
    JMW - Mpls