Community Message Boards

Thread: Help with waffles and adding in fruit

Question Help with waffles and adding in fruit

Ok, so I decided to make waffles this morning and my DH had the idea of making blueberry waffles ... however, I have never done this before and figured I could just add the frozen blueberries to the batter. Well, I ended up with a mess and a waffle that was not quite "right" Should I have used fresh berries? If you can use frozen, should they be defrosted first?

So, I am asking all of you who make waffles for your advice on how to make waffles with add-in's... fruit or even chocolate chips.

TIA
    Patsy

for chocolate chips, I add them right to the batter, just before cooking. They seem to be okay. Stir the batter each time you add a batch of pancakes to the griddle or to the frying pan, since they sink to the bottom of thiner batter quick.

For blueberries, I don't add them to the batter. I take frozen berries and microwave them 30 seconds to 1 min depeneding on the amount of berries. That way I can control the amount of juice that gets soaked up by the pancake/waffle.

good luck! Making Chocolate chip pancakes is a favorite activity for myself and DD.

Karen

I make blueberry waffles and I just make sure my waffle iron is sprayed with Pam. After I add the batter I sprinkle frozen blueberries on top and close the lid. I don't have any problem with them turning blue or sticking. Good Luck.
    Maureen

"Trying to live the life I imagined"

I would try sprinkling the frozen blueberries on top as previously suggested. That goes along with everything I have read and done in the past. For chocolate chips, you could do the same thing, OR if you want to mix them in, use MINI chips so they don't sink and are more dispersed throughout the waffle.
    kathyb

Less rhetoric, more cowbell!

Re: Help with waffles and adding in fruit

Originally posted by patsyk
    Should I have used fresh berries? If you can use frozen, should they be defrosted first?

So, I am asking all of you who make waffles for your advice on how to make waffles with add-in's... fruit or even chocolate chips.

TIA
    Patsy
    Patsy,
    Here's a recipe from Cook's Illustrated with a tip onusing frozen berries. The recipe is for pancakes but I use it for waffles as well.

BLUEBERRY PANCAKES

Makes about sixteen 4-inch pancakes, serving 4 to 6

When fresh blueberries are not in season, frozen blueberries are a good alternative. To make sure that frozen berries do not bleed, rinse them under cool water in a mesh strainer until the water runs clear, then spread them on a paper towel-lined plate to dry. If you have buttermilk on hand, use 2 cups instead of the milk and lemon juice.

1 tablespoon juice from 1 lemon
    2 cups milk
    2 cups (10 ounces) unbleached all-purpose flour
    2 tablespoons sugar
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 large egg
    3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and
    cooled slightly
    1-2 teaspoons vegetable oil
    1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries, preferably wild,
    rinsed and dried (see note)

1. Whisk lemon juice and milk in medium bowl or large measuring cup; set aside to thicken while preparing other ingredients. Whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in medium bowl to combine.
    2. Whisk egg and melted butter into milk until combined. Make well in center of dry ingredients in bowl; pour in milk mixture and whisk very gently until just combined (a few lumps should remain). Do not over mix.
    3. Heat 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes; add 1 teaspoon oil and brush to coat skillet bottom evenly. Pour 1/4 cup batter onto 3 spots on skillet; sprinkle 1 tablespoon blueberries over each pancake. Cook pancakes until large bubbles begin to appear, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Using thin, wide spatula, flip pancakes and cook until golden brown on second side, 1 to 1 1/2 minutes longer. Serve immediately, and repeat with remaining batter, using remaining vegetable oil only if necessary.

LEMON-CORNMEAL BLUEBERRY PANCAKES

Follow recipe for Blueberry Pancakes, adding 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest to milk along with lemon juice and substituting 1 1/2 cups stone-ground yellow cornmeal for 1 cup flour.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Thanks so much for all the suggestions! I figured I should have done something differently... but, just wasn't sure. Looks like we'll be giving this another shot next weekend!

Thanks, again!
    Patsy