Community Message Boards

Thread: How to clean the bottom of my new skillet?

How to clean the bottom of my new skillet?

I just recently got 2 new skillets and want to keep them looking nice. Any thoughts on what I can use to get the grease, etc off of the bottoms that is already building up? I don't put them in the dishwasher, but I am still having trouble I have tried bar keepers friend, and it didn't do too much. I also don't want to scratch them.

HELP!!
    Julie

Cool

You've forgotten to tell us what kind of cookware this is. I'm guessing stainless if you've mentioned Barkeeper's friend.

Didn't your cookware come with directions or guidelines? If not, you might try looking for the manufacturer's web site.

It is Farberware. I had sent in 2 skillets that had a lifetime warranty - and much to my surprise they replaced both!!

However, they didn't send any paperwork with them

I will search the web too!

thanks!
    Julie

Cool

Maybe this will help? http://www.farberwarecookware.com/

I believe Farberware have aluminum on the bottom rather than having the bottom clad in stainless steel.

If it is aluminum, there is really nothing you can do to prevent it from turning the grayish matte which aluminum does. You can prevent it from becoming brownish black from baked on grease by scouring the bottom on a regular basis.

If it is stainless steel on the bottom covering the aluminum, then stainless will retain its shine. You need to use Barkeepers Friend and a plastic Dobie on a fairly regular basis to keep the crud from accumulating on the bottom until its impossible to get off.

I don't put pans in the dishwasher because it's easier to wash a few pans than have them take up the amount of space they would in my DW. I'm really not sure how well a DW does taking off the kind of grease that gets baked onto the bottom of my pans.