Community Message Boards

Thread: ISO - Recipe Using Chicken & Eggplant

Hybrid View

ISO - Recipe Using Chicken & Eggplant

The Farmer's Market is tomorrow and I would like to use up the remaining produce I over-bought in my usual exuberance before over buying tomorrow morning.

Does anybody have a light (low cal/low fat) recipe using chicken breasts and eggplant. I was thinking there must be some kind of Middle Eastern/Mediterranean type of dish but my search has been unsuccessful. The eggplant is the little round Indian variant but I don't think that would make any difference except in the initial prep.

Thanks in advance.

This is a Thai recipe but it's gotten great reviews and you could lighten it by using "lite" coconut milk:

Thai Chicken and Eggplant Curry

Adapted from a recipe in "It Rains Fishes". Originally made with pork, tastes great either way. Try to use Thai basil, but any type of basil will do in a pinch.

1 (14 ounces) can unsweetened coconut milk
    3 tablespoons green curry paste
    1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast , sliced into thin strips
    1/2 lb Japanese eggplant , cut into thick coins
    3 kaffir lime leaf
    2 tablespoons fish sauce
    2 teaspoons brown sugar (or palm sugar if you can)
    3/4 cup sweet basil leaves (preferably Thai)
    slivered hot chili pepper (amount to taste)
    steamed jasmine rice

1. Heat coconut milk in wok and whisk curry paste in until smooth.
    2. Bring coconut milk to a boil, add chicken, then simmer for 8-10 minutes until chicken is opaque.
    3. Add eggplant, lime leaves, fish sauce, brown sugar.
    4. Taste for sweetness, saltiness etc, and correct if needed.
    5. Continue to simmer until eggplant is tender and chicken is cooked through, about 8-10 minutes more.
    6. Stir in basil leaves and chilies and serve with steamed jasmine rice.

3-4 servings
    30 minutes ( 10 mins prep time, 20 mins cook time )
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

I haven't made this myself yet, but keep meaning to. It's from the 2/04 issue of Bon Appetit. I'm not sure how light it is, but I'm sure you could cut way down on the oil, and the almonds too if you wanted to lighten it.

MOROCCAN CHICKEN WITH EGGPLANT, TOMATOES, AND ALMONDS

This version of a tagine, the classic Moroccan stew, calls for dark meat because it stays moist when braised. If you prefer white meat, reduce the cooking time by 15 minutes.

6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
    3 cups sliced onions
    6 large garlic cloves, minced
    1 tablespoon Hungarian sweet paprika
    1 1/2 teaspoons coarse kosher salt
    1 teaspoon turmeric
    1 teaspoon ground coriander
    1 teaspoon fennel seeds, ground
    1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
    2 cups drained canned diced tomatoes (from 28-ounce can)
    1 cup water
    3 tablespoons (or more) fresh lemon juice
    8 chicken thighs with bones, skinned
    8 chicken drumsticks, skinned
    1 large eggplant, unpeeled, cut into 1-inch cubes
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh marjoram
    1/2 cup whole blanched almonds or slivered almonds, toasted
    Chopped fresh cilantro

Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in heavy large wide pot over medium heat.

Add onions and garlic. Cover and cook until onions are soft, about 10 minutes. Add paprika, salt, turmeric, coriander, fennel, pepper, cumin, and ginger; stir 1 minute. Add tomatoes, 1 cup water, and 3 tablespoons lemon juice; bring to boil. Arrange all chicken in single layer in pot; spoon some sauce over. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer 15 minutes. Turn chicken over, cover, and simmer until chicken is tender, about 20 minutes longer.
    Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400°F. Brush large rimmed baking sheet with olive oil. Place eggplant and remaining 4 tablespoons olive oil in large bowl; toss to coat. Spread eggplant out on prepared baking sheet and bake until soft and brown, stirring occasionally, about 25 minutes. (Chicken and eggplant can be made 1 day ahead. Cool slightly. Refrigerate separately until cold, then cover and keep refrigerated.)

Stir eggplant and marjoram into chicken. Simmer uncovered 10 minutes to heat through and blend flavors. Season stew to taste with more lemon juice, if desired, and salt and pepper. Transfer chicken to large shallow bowl. Sprinkle with almonds and cilantro.

Makes 8 servings.

Bon Appétit
    February 2004
    I believe in the forest, and in the meadow, and in the night in which the corn grows. -Henry David Thoreau

Wow Sneezles, that thai recipe looks delicious. Thanks for posting it!
    I believe in the forest, and in the meadow, and in the night in which the corn grows. -Henry David Thoreau

This one is just an eggplant recipe but the addtion of cooked (grilled, roasted or poached) chicken would be great and served over rice...

Eggplant in Mustard Sauce

A hot and spicy eggplant preparation, adds extra spice to any meal.

No. Of Servings: 4
    Time To Prepare: 30 minutes
    Submitted By: Chitra Nag

Ingredients

- 1 large Eggplant
    - 3 tbsp Mustard seeds
    - 8 Green Chili (serrano or equivalent)
    - 14 stalks Cilantro
    - To taste Salt
    - 5 tbsp Cooking Oil
    - 1 Tsp Turmeric powder
    - 1/2 cup Water
    - 1 Tsp Sugar

Instructions

1. Slice eggplant into 1/2 inch thick pieces that look like half moons.
    2. Rub some turmeric powder, salt and sugar on the eggplant pieces and set aside.
    3. Grind mustard seeds along with four green chilies, ten stalks of cilantro and salt to fine paste in a blender, adding half a cup of water. This will take up to five minutes depending on the power setting on your blender.
    4. Heat oil in a frying pan and fry eggplant pieces to light brown.
    5. Strain the ground mustard paste, adding directly to the fried eggplant. At the same time add 4 sliced green chilies and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 8 to 10 minutes.
    6. Garnish with some chopped cilantro and serve hot with chapattis, parathas or rice.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

The following is a really great recipe, it uses simple ingredients and taste great.

Chicken Provencale
    For Vegetables:

2 cups cubed peeled eggplant

2 medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped

1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced

1 medium red sweet pepper, cut into thin strips

1 medium green sweet pepper, cut into thin strips

1/4 cup red or dry white wine, or chicken broth

2 tablespoons snipped fresh basil or 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil, crushed

2 cloves garlic, minced

1/2 teaspoon salt

For Chicken:

4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (1 pound total)

Salt

1 tablespoon oil">olive oil or cooking oil

1/2 teaspoon paprika

FOR VEGETABLE: In a large saucepan combine the eggplant, tomatoes, onion, red and green sweet peppers, wine or chicken broth, basil, garlic, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes. Uncover and simmer for 5 minutes more, or till vegetables are tender and nearly all of the liquid is evaporated.

FOR CHICKEN: Rinse chicken; pat dry. Place each breast half between 2 pieces of plastic wrap. Working from the center to the edges, pound chicken lightly with the flat side of a meat mallet to a 1/4-inch thickness. Remove plastic wrap. Sprinkle chicken lightly with salt.
    In a large skillet heat the oil and paprika over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook for 4 to 6 minutes, or till tender and no pink remains, turning once.
    TO SERVE: Spoon vegetables on plates and top with chicken.

Nutrition Facts

Makes 4 servings
    Facts per Serving

Calories: 354 Fat: 7g Carbohydrates: 13g
    Cholesterol: 137mg Sodium: 454mg Protein: 57g
    Fiber: 3g % Cal. from Fat: 18% % Cal. from Carbs: 15%

Thanks everybody - these all look wonderful and I love to cook veggies with chicken because it's easier than thinking up separate combinations

The Thai dish will have to wait until AFTER my next visit to the Farmer's Market - Ironically I've got the kaffir leaves and light coconut milk but no Thai basil (or any other today for that matter).

What is the difference between green curry and red curry paste anyway - I've never used either but hopefully I should be able to find in the Indian food section.

The Moroccan dish looks sumptious and I just did a Morrocan veggie stew with turkey sausage which I loved. I'm not quite sure how to proceed with defatting the eggplants as it appears that roasting them with oil is part of the prep -- what else could I do to give them the necessary taste and consistency.

The Provencal dish looks great - I LOVE dishes I don't have to think to much about. I do a similar one but with canned artichoke hearts and tomatoes for days when I am really at wits' end.

The Eggplant and Mustard dish is something that I will try the next time I make tandoori chicken. I love Indian food.

Mmm, that Chicken Provencale looks great. Thanks for posting!

Cheers,
    Phoebe