Community Message Boards

Thread: Smuckers Baking Healthy

Smuckers Baking Healthy

Can anybody relay their experiences with this fat substitute in baking? I don't bake much because I try to avoid fats and sweets, but this stuff seems like a good alternative if it works. It's fruit based. The thing I really want to use it for is cookies, especially oatmeal. How do you think it would work in a recipe if I used half the butter called for, and half of this? Thanks, bakers!
    Wendy

Depends on the recipe. If it's fruit-based, though, you can get along just as well with the traditional fruit purees rather than buying something special... applesauce (draining improves it), prune puree, apple butter.

For cookies, I would recommend NOT going with something fruit-based, anyway. I've had good success subbing half syrup (corn syrup or brown rice -- brown rice is better) for the butter, and creaming together. Reduce the sugar, though. Fruit anything in a cookie tends to produce a squishy, cake-like cookie, while syrup gives a chewier, sometimes near-crispy result.

fat substitution

I have used Lighter Bake (Sunsweet & it has worked well for me. It comes with a usage chart on the label. Basically you will substitute the oil & use this product. Whenever you are cutting on fat in a recipe you must minimize mixing & coat pans with cooking spray. It works nicely in cakes, muffins and cookies like oatmeal/raisin.
    C Light as well as Eating Well had articles about them CL used a prunee butter (fat substitute in their black botton cheesecake cups).

My favorite light oatmeal cookie recipe calls for it and it works great. I have used it in banana bread, too, with good results. I recommend it. It is sometimes difficult to find, but it is worth the search, IMHO.

I'm glad to see this thread. I picked up a bottle of this a few mos ago and haven't had the guts to try it yet! Maybe I'll try it with some banana bread.

Terri

Originally posted by CompassRose
    I've had good success subbing half syrup (corn syrup or brown rice -- brown rice is better) for the butter, and creaming together.
    I've never heard of brown rice syrup. Do you find this near the baking goods (karo syrup) or breakfast syrups (maple)? I'm happy to see replies to this post...I'm going to try out all the suggestions soon.
    Wendy

You find it in the health-food store. Supposed to be better for you, too -- low glycemic impact for a sugar, relatively speaking. (It's like barley malt, produced by fermentation of the rice somehow.)

The brand I use is Lundberg. It IS expensive, though, and corn syrup is almost as good. The thing about the b. rice syrup is the "crispy" edges -- it's about the closest I've come to "proper" cookies with low fat. Corn syrup isn't quite the same. Depending on the cookie, other types of syrup will work too, e.g. molasses, or even honey (though honey can be unpredictable).

Originally posted by catharine
    My favorite light oatmeal cookie recipe calls for it and it works great. I have used it in banana bread, too, with good results. I recommend it. It is sometimes difficult to find, but it is worth the search, IMHO.
    O.K. Catharine,
    Recipe...PLEASE!!! I'm always a sucker for a good oatmeal cookie recipe, and if it's light to boot that's a bonus!

Karen

P.S. I just used Lighter Bake for the first time a few months ago in an old EW Zucchini bread recipe, and it's now my favorite zucchini bread recipe. It turned out very moist and tasty.

[i] It is sometimes difficult to find, but it is worth the search, IMHO. [/B]
    That's the funny part, it was right there on the shelf staring out at me from inbetween the oils.
    Wendy

Originally posted by karen w

O.K. Catharine,
    Recipe...PLEASE!!! I'm always a sucker for a good oatmeal cookie recipe, and if it's light to boot that's a bonus!

Iím overjoyed to be able to share these with you, Karen. Youíve always been so helpful and responsive to my requests. Here is the recipe and the original thread where I posted it.

Revamped Vanishing Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
    Makes 48 cookies (so they say )

Nonstick cooking spray
    1/2 cup butter, softened
    1/4 cup fruit-based fat substitute [I use Smuckers brand- found near shortening]
    1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
    1/2 cup granulated sugar
    2 eggs
    1 t. vanilla extract
    1 1/2 cups all-pupose flour
    1 t. baking soda
    1 t. cinnamon
    1/2 t. salt
    3 cups Quaker Oats (quick or old-fashioned) uncooked
    1 cup raisins

Prep time: 15 min; cook: 10 min.
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly coat cookie sheets with cooking spray. In a large bowl, beat together butter, fat substitute and sugars. Add eggs and vanilla extract, and mix to combine.

In a small bowl, combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Stir flour mixture into butter mixture. Stir in oats and raisins. Drop by rounded tablespoons onto cookie sheets. Flattens lightly with the back of a spoon. Bake about 10 minutes, until slightly golden. Cool on wire racks.
    Per serving (1 cookie); 86 calories (26% fat); 1.2 unsat. fat, 1.3 g. sat. 67% carb., 7% prot., 0.8 g. fiber.

ENJOY!

Catharine
    Thanks for posting the recipe. I have some prune puree that I can use for this recipe...will be good to experiment with it. I have only used it in an Eating Well chocolate cake recipe.

Catharine,
    Thanks so much for the recipe. It looks really good. I'm definetely going to try this one soon.

Karen

YUM.

I made chocolate chip cookies today substituting half the butter for the Baking Healthy fat substitute with great results. The batter was gooier than with the full amount of butter, but chewy after cooling, they way I like. Next time I'll try to do less mixing (as recommended above) to try to get batter with a thicker consistency. There was a very small difference in the flavor, but worth sacrificing if you're interested in making a batch of cookies with half the fat. I feel better about a big batch of cookies made with one stick of butter rather than two.
    Wendy

Here's a carrot cake recipe that I put on my "to try" list. It sounds really good!

Donna's Carrot Cake

4 cups (10 ounces) grated carrots (spooned, not packed into cup)
    2 cups sugar
    8 ounces canned crushed pineapple, undrained
    1 cup canned fruit puree*
    2 eggs, lightly beaten
    2 teaspoons vanilla
    2 cups flour
    2 teaspoons baking soda
    2 teaspoons cinnamon
    1 teaspoon salt
    3/4 cup shredded coconut

Preheat oven to 350 degrees or 325 degrees if using a glass or non-stick pan. Grease a 9 x 13 inch baking pan or two 9" round baking pans.

In a large bowl combine carrots, sugar, pineapple, prune puree, eggs and vanilla; stir to blend thoroughly. Add remaining ingredients except coconut; mix completely. Stir in coconut. Spread batter in pan. Bake about 40 - 45 minutes or until set in the middle. Cool on rack. Remove from pan if desired. Frost if desired.

Frosting:

8 ounces low fat cream cheese
    1 tablespoon butter
    3 cups powdered sugar
    1/4 teaspoon butter flavored extract
    1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
    1/4 cup flaked coconut, toasted

In a small bowl, combine cream cheese, butter, and sugar. Beat until smooth. Spread frosting on cake. Sprinkle with nuts and coconut.

* Fruit purees, which are butter and oil replacements, are found in the grocery store isles with the cooking oils and shortenings. Two brands are "Sunsweet Lighter Bake" and "Smuckers"s Baking Healthy".

Serves 16

Nutritional Information per serving without frosting:

Calories 215
    Fat, gm. 1
    Protein, gm. 3
    Carb. gm. 48
    Cholesterol, mg. 25
    Fiber, gm. 1.6

Serves 16