Community Message Boards

Thread: should I toss this malted milk powder?

Question should I toss this malted milk powder?

I used malted milk powder in an ice cream recipe a few weeks ago. It's the first time I ever used it, and it came in a plastic zip-top bag from King Arthur. It is now hard as a rock- one big clump in the bag. It smells the same as before though- not bad, just malty!

Should I toss it, or should I keep it? I guess I could break off chunks as needed and whirl them back to powder in the food processor. Does malted milk powder normally harden like this?

Thanks!

Yes, it can harden like that. I always buy mine in a glass jar at the grocery store, and if I keep it for a really long time it will eventually harden. I would think that you would be fine to break it up and still use it. I've never tried it because I would probably have to break the jar just to get it out.
    Cheryl-If I was organized, I'd be dangerous.

Cool

Well, gee... Does that mean I should toss the jar I've had in the pantry since the eighties?

No, Gail, just do what I do: rake the surface with a fork until you have the amount of powder that you want. Repeat at five-year intervals...

Cheers,
    Phoebe

Cool

Oh-kay. So if Gail and Phoebe are still with us after eating 80s-vintage malted milk-scrapings, I'm probably okay with mine.

Thanks all!

It's probably okay if you can figure out how to unclump it.

I keep malted milk powder in the refrigerator or freezer and mine has lasted for over a year. I've never tried King Arthur, though. Mine's just plain old Carnation.

Cool

Originally posted by gertdog
    Oh-kay. So if Gail and Phoebe are still with us after eating 80s-vintage malted milk-scrapings, I'm probably okay with mine.

Thanks all!
    Oh, to be perfectly fair, I've HAD the stuff forever. Just haven't used it. Probably should have a look just to make sure there aren't little green moon colonies set up in there now...

Cool

Originally posted by gertdog

Thanks all!
    Oh, to be perfectly fair, I've HAD the stuff forever. Just haven't used it. Probably should have a look just to make sure there aren't little green moon colonies set up in there now...

But, for what it's worth, I come by this tendency from a mother who had a 30 year-old bottle of Karo Syrup.

Hmm. I seem to have picked up a stutter. Sorry about that.

Cool

(grumbling) Two posts and it still didn't bump!

Red face

I'll have to chime in, too, and say that I was just fooling about the five-year intervals with malted powder. I really wouldn't keep anything with casein or other milk solids around that long. But I do scrape the surface of my block-hard Penzey's Dutch process cocoa when I need some, and I've had that stuff for about two years.

Cheers,
    Phoebe