Community Message Boards

Thread: Rev: Grace's Coleslaw

Thumbs up Rev: Grace's Coleslaw

I know that this recipe has previously been posted several times on the CLBB and I have had it in my to try pile for over a year, if not two, but last night I finally made it and it is DELISH! Thank you Grace as I have now found a yummy coleslaw to enjoy that reminds me of the coleslaw that they serve at the Iowa Machine Shed (although I actually think that this may be better and not full of fat)! DH gave it two thumbs up too! Here is the recipe for those who have not seen it yet!

GRACE'S COLESLAW

1 (16 oz) bag of Dole shredded cabbage and carrots (or any brand)
    -or-
    2 bags of broccoli slaw

1/3 cup sugar
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/8 tsp. pepper
    1/4 cup milk
    1/2 cup non-fat mayo
    1/4 cup buttermilk
    1-1/2 Tblsp. cider vinegar
    2-1/2 Tblsp. fresh lemon juice

Mis the dressing ingredients well in a small bowl with a wire whisk until the sugar is dissolved and the dressing is creamy. Pour over the cabbage or broccoli slaw and toss together well. Cover and refrigerate 2 hours.

I subbed light miracle whip for the mayo as DH does not like mayo and that is what I had. Also, I did not have buttermilk, so I made my own with milk and lemon juice. This turned out wonderful and I think it is even better after sitting in the fridge overnight. It is sweet (which I love) but still has a bit of tang from the lemon juice, vinegar, and bettermilk. Yummy! I will definitely be making this again. Thank you Grace!
    "What I do today is important because I am paying a day of my life for it." ~unknown

Thank you for posting this and thanks in advance Grace! I was going to post looking for coleslaw recipes that I could make SB friendly.

I'm looking forward to it!

Loren
    The term "working mother" is redundant.

Thumbs up mmmm, mmmmm, good!

WOO HOO, this sounds wonderful! Missed it the first time around so thanks for bringing it back for a rerun! And thanks, Grace, for sharing! xoxoxox

Lynn
    I take life with a grain of salt... a wedge of lime, and a shot of tequila.

Visit my blog at: http://www.lifewithlynnb.blogspot.com

Hey wow! I haven't seen that one around for awhile! But yes, it's still my favorite cole slaw - good stuff. I will say though that I can't take credit for it's invention, only for posting it originally. I got it from the newspaper of all places, and it was a copykat recipe for KFC coleslaw. I did make the change to FF mayo though - it called for full fat mayo originally. But FF mayo works great in this recipe - no wierd taste whatsoever.

Glad to see people still enjoying it!

Ditto what Grace said. I love that recipe and I always use fat-free milk and non-fat mayonnaise.

Peggy
    To take the first step in faith, you don't have to see the whole staircase: just take the first step. - Dr. Martin Luther King

Thanks for posting the recipe. I love coleslaw, but haven't found a low fat recipe I like. This looks good and I actually have everything I need to make it.

If this is better than the coleslaw at the Machine Shed then it will be yummy. I love their coleslaw!

It is not exactly the same as the Machine Shed, I think that theirs is sweeter, but this is still very good!
    "What I do today is important because I am paying a day of my life for it." ~unknown

Thanks for this great recipe Grace! I made it a couple of days ago and have been living off it since! (I adore coleslaw)

You should have made this for me while I was visting but I'll forgive you!
    I used regular mayo and 1% milk soured with vinegar.

Sorry Maureen - I should have cooked more while you were here! But I'm glad you liked it!

Oh well next time!!!!

I made this last night to go with the jerk chicken and island rice from May 2004. It was a perfect complement to the meal. Thank you for posting the recipe. This is going on my repeat list.

Thank you for sharing this delicious recipe Grace! I made it last night to accompany barbecued chicken, and now I'm eating the leftovers for lunch. It's soooooo good! My first time making coleslaw - and it's a success! Thank you again! It's a keeper and repeater!
    Kara