Community Message Boards

Thread: What would you serve with fish tacos??

What would you serve with fish tacos??

I posted my question under the fish taco thread but since I'm down to the wire time-wise and need to make a decision I thought I'd better start a new thread.

If you were going to serve fish tacos to a large group of people (say...maybe for July 4th - I still haven't decided what I want to make!!) what would you serve with them. I'm thinking about the Borracho beans but maybe that would be too heavy for summer? I just don't know what would be good with these in hot weather. Would a salad be too much with the cabbage/romaine on the tacos? What goes with tacos in the summer? Any suggestions?

* Exported from MasterCook *

Fish Tacos

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Fish & Seafood Sandwiches & Wraps
    To Try

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    Marinate in Lime Juice:
    4 oz. fresh tilapia fillets -- halved (I've made this twice and used Dory and Cod, both were great) (4 to 4)
    Blend then Coat fish in:
    3 Tblsp. all purpose flour
    3 Tblsp. yellow cornmeal
    1 tsp. chili powder
    1 tsp. kosher salt
    1/4 tsp. cayenne
    Serve with:
    3 cups napa cabbage -- shredded (I used romaine lettuce)
    Mango-Avocado Salsa:
    1 ripe yet firm mango -- peeled, diced
    1/2 cup grape tomatoes -- halved
    1/2 cup cucumber -- diced
    1/4 cup red onion -- minced
    1 Tblsp. jalapeno -- seeded, minced
    1 tsp. sugar
    1/4 tsp. kosher salt
    1/4 tsp. ground cumin
    juice of one lime
    1 firm yet ripe avocado -- pitted, peeled, thinly sliced (I diced mine)
    2 Tblsp. coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
    Creamy Chipotle Sauce:
    1/4 cup plain lowfat yogurt
    1/4 cup reduced-calorie mayonnaise
    2 tsp. sugar
    1 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce -- minced (1 to 2)
    juice of 1/2 lime
    Corn tortillas (I used flour - I don't care for corn)

Preheat oven to 500 with rack on the top level.

Marinate tilapia fillets in lime juice for 10 minutes, turning to coat. Place baking sheet on oven rack and preheat 5 minutes.

Blend flour, cornmeal and seasonings in a shallow dish. Coat marinated fish on both sides with flour mixture. Remove hot pan from oven and spray with non-stick spray. Place fillets on hot pan and roast on top rack 5 minutes.

Serve fish and tortillas with shredded cabbage, mango salsa and chipotle sauce.

Mango-Avocado Salsa:
    Combine first 9 ingredients. Before serving, stir in avocado and cilantro.

Creamy Chipotle Sauce: (my favorite part!!)
    Stir all ingredients together in a small bowl and adjust seasonings to taste. Let stand at least 10 minutes to allow flavors to blend. (May be made several days ahead. Keep chilled until ready to serve.)

4 Servings

Source:
    "Cuisine at Home - Feb 2003"
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    NOTES : I can't rave enough about this recipe! It's a real 10 in my book! And I'm not much of a fish lover, but it's not the fish that's the star in this recipe - it's the FABULOUS Mango-Avocado Salsa and the Creamy Chipotle Sauce!! YUM!!! I will make this over and over and over again. Perfect food in my opinion!!
    "Let food be thy medicine" ~ Hippocrates

Beans... a green salad... maybe some "Mexicali" sauteed chard or kale... a bit of mango salsa with chips...

I, personally, like to serve a nice lime-infused potato salad. I generally make coleslaw with fish tacos, so that can actually serve as a side too. And a nice big fruit salad is ALWAYS welcome on our table in the summertime.
    It's so beautifully arranged on the plate - you know someone's fingers have been all over it. --Julia Child
    BURP! Where Food Happens

This is one of our favorites (copied over from an old post):

I will make this one over and over again! (And the bonus is it's soo easy! I used frozen mangos I had on hand from Trader Joe's - just defrosted and cut them up into smaller pieces, and I also used frozen corn which I defrosted, and then cooked per the recipe directions. I also left out the chipotle, only because I served it with the Chipotle-Lime marinated flank steak, and I thought it would be chipotle OD! And we didn't serve it over greens, just by itself. Easy, easy, easy)

CookWare(tm) from Cooking Light(r)

Roasted Corn, Black Bean, and Mango Salad

SOURCE: Cooking Light YEAR: July 2000 PAGE: 94

INGREDIENTS FOR 8 SERVINGS:
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    3 cups fresh corn kernels (about 6 ears)
    2 cups diced peeled ripe mango (about 2 pounds)
    1 cup chopped red onion
    1 cup chopped red bell pepper
    1/3 cup fresh lime juice
    3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    1 drained canned chipotle chile in adobo sauce, chopped
    2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
    8 cups gourmet salad greens

INSTRUCTIONS:
    Browning corn in a skillet gives it a nutty, caramelized flavor that contrasts with the tartness of the mango. But brown it good--corn likes it that way.

1. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic; cook 30 seconds. Stir in corn; cook 8 minutes or until browned, stirring occasionally. Place corn mixture in a large bowl. Add mango and remaining ingredients except greens; stir well. Arrange 1 cup greens on each of 8 plates. Spoon 1 cup corn mixture over greens. Yield: 8 servings.

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION:
    CALORIES 204 (15% from fat); FAT 3.3g (sat 0.6g, mono 0.8g, poly 1.5g); PROTEIN 9.2g; CARB 39g; FIBER 6.9g; CHOL 0mg; IRON 2.8mg; SODIUM 315mg; CALC 56mg

This bean salad from Kuvy ROCKS!!

Frijoles Pintos y Negros Borrachos

1 Tablespoon Oil
    1/2 onion, finely diced
    1 bunch green onions, minced
    2 Romas, chopped
    1 14 oz can pintos, rinsed
    1 14 oz can black beans, rinsed
    1 jalapeno
    1/2 cup beer
    1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
    Salt

Heat the oil in a roomy skillet or saucepan over fairly high heat. Add both onions and saute slightly. Add roma tomatoes, saute another minute. Add beans, chile, beer and cilantro, lower the heat, and simmer for 15-30 minutes. Season with salt.
    *Susan*

"One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries."

A.A. Milne

Yes, I was thinking a black-bean cold salad of some type, but had no recipe to offer. Fruit salad would be good too, one with fresh fruit. If you wanted rice, maybe a green chile-based or cilantro rice recipe.
    Never mistake motion for action.
    -Ernest Hemingway

Thanks for all the suggestions!

The taco recipe has a built-in mango salsa part to it and we'll also be drinking Mango Margaitas (is it wrong that I haven't been able to forget about them since we had them on Memorial weekend? ) so I'm hesitant to add something else with mangoes in it. But, the bean salad that Grace posted looks awesome and I'm going to work it in at some point this summer.

Susan, that bean recipe is the one I was thinking about making. The reviews make it sound really great and I've been looking for an excuse to make it but wasn't sure how it would work as a summer recipe.

Mobear, I hadn't even thought about rice, but a cilantro rice does sound good!

Lorelei, for some reason I never think of fruit salads but that sounds like it would go well with this dinner.

Thanks again!!

Oh, no mango? Why didn't you say so! Here's a really good black bean and corn salad that's just as good as the other one, but faster, easier and no mango!

CookWare(tm) from Cooking Light(r)

Black Bean-and-Corn Salad

SOURCE: Cooking Light YEAR: November 2000 PAGE: 152

INGREDIENTS FOR 8 SERVINGS:
    1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
    1/4 cup cider vinegar
    2 tablespoons brown sugar
    1-1/2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
    1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 garlic clove, minced
    1 cup fresh or frozen whole-kernel corn, thawed
    1 cup chopped red bell pepper
    3/4 cup chopped onion
    1/3 cup minced fresh cilantro
    1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained

INSTRUCTIONS:
    "This dish is refreshing, crisp, and slightly sweet. It's great as a salad anytime or at parties as an appetizer served with tortilla chips. As simple as it is, this recipe gets the most ardent compliments, even if it accompanies an entree whose production was much more time-consuming." --Deborah Shore, Scotch Plains, N.J.

1. Bring first 7 ingredients to a boil in a small saucepan. Reduce heat, and simmer 2 minutes or until sugar dissolves. Combine vinegar mixture, corn, and the remaining ingredients in a large bowl; cover and chill. Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1/2 cup).

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION:
    CALORIES 82 (5% from fat); FAT 0.5g (sat 0.1g, mono 0.1g, poly 0.2g); PROTEIN 3.9g; CARB 17.3g; FIBER 2.6g; CHOL 0mg; IRON 1.4mg; SODIUM 164mg; CALC 22mg

Originally posted by Grace
    Oh, no mango? Why didn't you say so! Here's a really good black bean and corn salad that's just as good as the other one, but faster, easier and no mango!
    Well, we like mango, just didn't want to overdo it.
    Grace, this recipe looks great!! My menu is finally coming together!! Thank you!

I think the Ensalada de Repollo for CL (May or June, can't remember) would be great in addition to the Black Bean and Corn salad. It's so light and refreshing - perfect for summer. And I don't think it would be too much cabbage, personally. If you do make it, I suggest doubling the dressing and chopping up a couple serrano chiles and adding them to the dressing.

The tacos sound amazing by the way...

Laura

I made the fish taco recipe this week and served them with the baked black beans w/ crusty cheddar topping from the BB. Both earned a yum!
    For serving a crowd your idea for a cold salad would be much easier. Or maybe you could do a crockpot bean dish as a side?

Laura, I don't remember seeing that recipe. I'll go back through my mags and see. Thanks for the suggestion!

Cindy, I'm so glad to hear another positive review of this recipe. I usually treat my guests as guinea pigs as far as trying new recipes goes (I haven't the taco recipe before either) so it's reassuring to hear that you liked the tacos, too. We really like the black beans with crusty cheddar topping, too. I need to make that again soon.