Community Message Boards

Thread: Craft Project - preserving / framing leaves?

Craft Project - preserving / framing leaves?

I have an idea for a decor project I'd like to do, but I'm not sure exactly how to go about it or if it's even possible.

I'd like to take some leaf samples -- probably fern fronds, but perhaps other types of leaves -- mount them on art paper & frame. If you can point me to a web site that gives directions for such a project, or can provide directions, that would be great. My main concerns are:

Color -- will they get all faded, or is there a way to preserve their color?
    Texture -- any way to keep them from getting dry/crumbly?
    Mounting -- what's the best way to affix them to the paper invisibly?

The "pressed flowers" etc. I've seen were a bit faded and, well, crumbly and misshappen. So ... if you have any ideas I'd love to hear them. Or, I may be imagining something that's not really possible ...

*bump*

I have never done this but I read your post and I was curious. I found a website called www.foliagenetwork.com and they had these instructions about how to preserve dry leaves:

Now that you have dry leaves, their are a few things you can do. You can either leave them as is or add a bit more protection. This can be accomplished by placing the leaf between two pieces of wax paper. Place a dish towel over the wax paper and press with an iron (on medium heat). Press on each side for approximately 3-4 minutes. Remove leaf from wax paper. You will notice a fine coating of wax which will preserve your leaves.

You can also purchase a spray preservative at your local craft store. This will leave a glossy coating on the leaf. Important: This must be done in a very well ventilated area as the fumes are toxic. Children should not do this, please ask your parent or another adult.

I also found a couple things about glycerin preservation (from http://www.umeedu.maine.edu/coehd/fo...t/preserve.htm):

Make a solution of glycerin and water. Use twice as much water as you do glycerine. (For example- 2 cups of water and 1 cup of gylcerine) Pour this into a flat pan. completely cover your leaves with the solution. You will have to weight them down to keep them covered. Let them set for 2-6 days. The leaves will absorb the solution and will be soft and bendable. Take the leaves out of the solution and wipe with a paper towel. The fall leaves will stay soft and bendable indefinitely.

I hope this helps. It's a neat idea and I'd be interested to know how it turns out.

ooooh that is EXCELLENT information ... I may have to try both methods and see what happens with each!

Thanks!