Community Message Boards

Thread: Subbing whipped cream for cool whip question

Subbing whipped cream for cool whip question

I want to make Not Yo' Momma's Banana Pudding, which calls for cool whip OR 12 oz. sweetened whipped cream. First, has anyone made it with whipped cream? DH is allergic to cool whip. Also - how much cream do I need to make 12 oz. whipped cream? Is there a conversion somewhere?

Thanks for any advice, and here's the recipe one more time!

Not Yo' Momma's Banana Puddin'

Note: The cream cheese and butter cookies make this extra delicious.

Serving Size: 12+

2 bags Pepperidge Farm Chessmen cookies (or any butter cookies)

6 to 8 bananas, sliced

2 cups milk

1 (5-ounce) box instant French Vanilla pudding

1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened

1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk

1 (12-ounce) container frozen whipped topping thawed, (or equal amount sweetened whipped cream)

Line the bottom of a 13" X 9" X 2" dish with 1 bag of cookies and layer bananas on top. In a bowl, combine the milk and pudding mix and blend well using a handheld electric mixer. Using another bowl, combine the cream cheese and condensed milk together and mix until smooth. Fold the whipped topping into the cream cheese mixture. Add the cream cheese mixture to the pudding mixture and stir until well blended. Pour the mixture over the cookies and bananas and cover with the remaining cookies. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

I would imagine the standard small size of cream would be more than ample to make 1 1/2 cups of whipped cream -- anything left over can be used for topping

I've never made it but can't imagine anything that wouldn't be improved by substituting real whipped cream for foamy white chemicals

I happen to have an 8-ounce container of foamy white chemicals in my refrigerator! The package says 8 ounces yields 50 tablespoons, so by my calculations, 12 ounces would yield 75 tablespoons, or 4.69 cups. Having made the banana pudding in question, I definitely think the real whipped cream will be good--I think that's how I did it, but I don't remember for sure. Another recipe I just made called for 1 cup whipping cream to yield 3 cups after it was whipped, although honestly, it didn't seem like that much to me. So I'd be safe and whip two cups of cream, then measure a rough 4 1/2 to 5 cups. The recipe won't require precision--but it will be good.

Well - I just whipped up a half-pint, and it gave me approximately 2 cups - of which I used 12 oz (spooned into a measuring cup). I might have needed more - I wasn't even thinking that they probably were asking for weight, not volume. Oh well! It still tasted pretty darn good! It just might not be as fluffy as it's supposed to be. I'll report back after dinner with a review!

Okay--here's a flash of Einstein-type logic! If they want 12 ounces of whipped cream, it would probably make sense to start with 12 ounces of cream--and whip it! That would've been much easier than converting tablespoons to cups and dividing and....oh, well!

It would be hard to make that recipe taste bad. If it has a fault, it's that it's just too rich after a big dinner!

Hmmm...yeah! Guess that would have made a lot more sense, seeing as how air doesn't add much to the equation!

Well - it came out tasty, but pretty runny! I'm not sure why - the pudding was the right consistency, and my measurements seemed to be correct (except for not adding enough whipped cream). Would adding more whipped cream have made it firmer??

It might have. The fat in the whipped cream can certainly create a more solid consistency. I know that when I made the pudding, after it was chilled, it could actually be cut into squares. I would think, though, that the cream cheese would have made it firm enough. I guess you just have no choice but to make it again with more whipped cream and find out if that fixes it. Sometimes, you've just got to sacrifice for the good of the order!