Community Message Boards

Thread: Precooking chicken before grilling - Tips?

Precooking chicken before grilling - Tips?

This is my very first post so I hope I do this right!

I'm hosting a BBQ tomorrow for about 40 people. Since chicken always looks done before it really is cooked, I was thinking of precooking some marinated drumsticks before placing them on the grill.

Does anyone do this? Do you have some tips?

I've been reading through some of my google hits and everyone has a different method...steaming, microwaving, oven simmering - but they don't list specific instructions.

TIA

Welcome to the BB!
    We usually cook on gas or in the big smoker so we have more control over the heat level than a charcoal grill. You can precook in the microwave for about 10-15 minutes or oven-simmer in the marinade for about the same amount of time. Dark meat such as legs and thighs take about 45 minutes on the grill without pre-cooking.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Wow - that's a lot of chicken to cook

I also cook on a gas grill which gives one a lot more control. However, I also don't cook in the kinds of quantity you are talking about.

Personally I would cook the chicken indoors in the morning until almost done and then put them on the BBQ for a few minutes to let them heat and get the sauce and skin crunchy. I wouldn't want to have to concentrate on chicken cooking while also trying to entertain that many people.

Originally posted by blazedog
    Wow - that's a lot of chicken to cook

I also cook on a gas grill which gives one a lot more control. However, I also don't cook in the kinds of quantity you are talking about.

Personally I would cook the chicken indoors in the morning until almost done and then put them on the BBQ for a few minutes to let them heat and get the sauce and skin crunchy. I wouldn't want to have to concentrate on chicken cooking while also trying to entertain that many people.

What she said!!
    Everyone needs to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. . .

Wow that was fast!

We're going to use the gas grill, too. I think the last time we used charcoal I burned a shirt with a flying ember.

I was thinking of precooking all the chicken in the oven, but I'm worred about the chicken drying out.

Any hints on oven temps or times?

Found this pdf. file from Empire Kosher Chicken and on page 16 of the file it recommends 20 minutes @ 400.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!