Community Message Boards

Thread: Freezing fruit salad?

Freezing fruit salad?

We have a lot of fruit salad leftover from a party and I'm wondering if I can freeze it. It contains: honeydew melon, cantaloupe, blueberries, watermelon, and grapes.

Thoughts? Hate to throw it all away but there's no way we can eat it. Thanks!

I don't know that the grapes would freeze well. BUt I've had the rest frozen and thawed from the store, so I don't see why you couldn't do it.

My only concern would be that it would freeze into a lump and create a mess that you really wouldn't want to use later. Thinking about it, I would probably make sure I drained the fruit pretty well from the juices. Then I would seperate the fruits on a large cookie sheet to freeze, popping them into a storage container after they froze.

I'll be interested to see if there are any other thoughts.
    Merry: I don't think he knows about second breakfast, Pip.
    Pippin: What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?

I'm food bloggin' almost daily at Tummy Treasure!

Others probably will differ but I think the quality of the fruit will really degrade by being frozen. You could use the frozen stuff for smoothies perhaps.

It's hard to conceive of how much fruit you have left over without being able to finish it in the next few days -- it would certainly keep that long in the refrigerator. But I eat massive amounts of fruit --

You can freeze these things, but then you can't really thaw them to use them. Use for smoothies, as already mentioned, or make paletas (fruit popcicles), or plan to eat frozen.

Grapes rolled in sugar before freezing...YUMMMMM! As said, it'll make great smoothies!
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Frozen grapes alone are great snacks! We always have some in the freezer here in AZ. Very tasty!

Grapes actually do freeze well. Use them in cold drinks as ice and then eat them afterwards.

Thank you for your help! I'll be batching to freeze tonight.