Community Message Boards

Thread: What is freezer jam?

What is freezer jam?

I found a recipe for some peach bread on this board yesterday that sounded really good, so I went ahead and made it yesterday. The recipe called for peach freezer jam or preserves (or fresh peaches). I thought that meant you could use freezer jam or regular preserves (from the jar). I used preserves out of a jar despite having a feeling that wasn't what the recipe meant. I should've listened to myself, because it turned into a disaster! The center of the loaves completely sunk in, and it was just a big sticky mess. So... what is the difference between freezer jam/preserves and the stuff out of a jar? The bread smelled soooooo good in the oven that it was pretty disappointing to see the end result. Therefore, I'm trying it again tonight. It is in the oven right now, and looking good so far! I'm actually using a slightly different recipe this time just in case the problem was something other than the preserves, but I do suspect that the preserves were the problem. I'm just curious now what freezer jam is and what it is generally used for.

Freezer jam is just jam that's not cooked - it's usually made with fresh fruit, sugar and pectin mixed together at room temp, then frozen. To be honest, I wouldn't think using cooked jam would make much of a difference . I hope your next batch of bread turns out better!
    The motive power of democracy is love. ~ Henri Bergson

Freezer jam is a typically uncooked jam that is not processed and has to be stored in the fridge or in the freezer for longer periods. They may tend to have lower ratios of sugar to fruit and usually have added pectin (a different type that the cooked ones).

I don't know if that could have any impact -- I could see it being a little heavier in texture of a little sweeter, but not a total flop. I would suspect forgetting the baking powder, underbaking and something in your mixing technique (reversing steps, although the worst I've done with that was some tough pancakes once) instead.

Thanks Clara and Beth. Fortunately, the bread I made last night (using fresh peaches) turned out great. The recipe was virtually identical to the first one except for using pecans instead of walnuts, more cinnamon, and shortening instead of butter. I went over the directions a million times, and I'm sure I didn't skip any ingredients or do anything really wrong as far as I could tell. Must have been those preserves, but I'm surprised it made it turn out that bad based on your descriptions of the freezer jam. I thought maybe my baking powder had gone bad, but I used the same stuff last night and it was fine. Very strange.

It might have justy been underbaked. If you spear a piece of fruit when you stick a toothpick in, you might not get any uncooked batter from the middle. I've had one or two fruit quick breads flop like that before. I'm not sure why either. Glad the second attempt worked for you.