Community Message Boards

Thread: Can I freeze Gazpacho???

Question Can I freeze Gazpacho???

Sorry if this is a really dumb question, but I'm wondering if I can freeze leftover gazpacho??? Or would it be sort of water logged upon thawing???

Also, using very fresh veggies, how long will gazpacho keep in the fridge?

Thanks,
    Kim

78704 - more than a zipcode, it's a lifestyle.
    I've kept gazpacho up to a week in the fridge and eaten it without any adverse effects. I love it as an alternative to salads.

Is your gazpacho smooth or chunky? I'd expect mushy chunks of veggies after freezing/thawing, but a smooth gazpacho would do fine I think.

Perhaps you can run an experiment?

--Kristin
    Your actions speak so loudly I can hardly hear you - Henry David Thoreau

Mine is rather chunky, but I was thinking about running the "freezer" portion through the processor and trying it out.

Thanks for the input. I'll let you know how my experiment goes.

You generally don't freeze raw vegetables unless you plan to cook with them when they are thawed. Even then, vegetables are usually blanched before freezing. I would not freeze them raw if the dish were eaten raw, like gazpacho.

Kim,
    Found this recipe that calls for freezing it so it shouldn't be a problem...

Gazpacho - Easy-to-Freeze Recipe
    Adapted from The Big Book of Preserving the Harvest, by Carol W. Costenbader (Storey Books, 2002).
    Simple Solution
    At this time of year - late summer - a recipe using ripe tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, peppers, garlic couldn't be better.

Given the abundance of these vegetables in farmers' markets and gardens, the recipe here is particularly useful because it is easy to freeze; you can make big batches of it using the harvest's abundance.

The author of this book notes that her guests always ask for this recipe and can't believe it came from the freezer.

INGREDIENTS
    6 medium tomatoes, peeled, cored, and chopped
    5 cups vegetable juice, or 40 ounces canned
    2 medium cucumbers, peeled, seeded, and chopped
    1 large onion, chopped
    1 large green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
    1 stalk celery, chopped
    1/3 cup red wine vinegar
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 tablespoon fresh dill, chopped
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
    1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper

1. Combine all ingredients and toss until the vegetables are evenly coated with oil, vinegar, and herbs.

2. Pour into two 1 1/2-quart freezer containers. Seal, label well, and freeze for up to 3 months.

3. To serve, thaw in the refrigerator overnight and store chilled. It will keep for 3 days thawed in the refrigerator.
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!