Community Message Boards
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Please, it's not a race!

Hybrid View

Please, it's not a race!

I'm concerned. I was just noticing there seems to be a flurry of off-the-cuff posts lately. I like to read threads that exhibit some thought, and frankly, the word game ones are just beginning to bug me a bit. Long threads tend to clog the board up - that's why they get locked every so often by a moderator.

I dunno. I don't see accumulation of posts as a terribly important thing. Sure, it's fun to celebrate a milestone (10K, anyone?), but to post just for the sake of racking them up? I'm amazed at the number of posts some members have been making in the past few days ...
    --Mary Kate--

"In all our woods there is not a tree so hard to kill as the buckeye. The deepest girdling does not deaden it, and even after it is cut down and worked up into the side of a cabin it will send out young branches, denoting to all the world that Buckeyes are not easily conquered, and could with difficulty be destroyed." - Daniel Drake, 1833

I'm not posting on the word game threads to rack up posts, in fact that thought never occurred to me. I could care less how many posts I have. I like word games....

You don't have to read/open the word game threads.

I probably have fewer posts for time as a member than most other people. The wordplay on the last word game thread was intriguing and it was fun and interesting to see where people's minds took them. I just unsubscribed from that thread because I was tired of it and it seems to have started repeating itself. I only post if I feel I have something to add.

As for 'policing' the boards/threads, isn't that what the moderators are for? I'm more concerned about some of the snipey and mean spirited posts that show up.

Re: Please, it's not a race!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MKSquared
    I'm concerned. I was just noticing there seems to be a flurry of off-the-cuff posts lately. I like to read threads that exhibit some thought, and frankly, the word game ones are just beginning to bug me a bit. Long threads tend to clog the board up - that's why they get locked every so often by a moderator.

I dunno. I don't see accumulation of posts as a terribly important thing. Sure, it's fun to celebrate a milestone (10K, anyone?), but to post just for the sake of racking them up? I'm amazed at the number of posts some members have been making in the past few days ...

QUOTE]

Hi i just started here yesterday and i find it refreshing to have a forum such as these...i belong to a few other community boards..but this one ive found more relaxing, different and fun...instead of the same old same old...and i also like the word games....helps an old mind to think...not that im that old...just keeps you on your toes..lol..

Don't worry, I'll never catch you!
    Margaret

I admit to posting on both threads a few times, but as I was leaving work yesterday, I thought it would be interesting to take a tally of how many times each person posted. That is, until I thought about how long it would take to wade through each page.

I don't think people are trying to rack up posts -- what's the point? -- but some are definitely more active there than others!
    Kristin

Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut.

I have been playing, mainly b/c I am leaving my job next week and really don't have much to do . I could care less about my post number, but have enjoyed playing and coming up with words.

I kept trying to kill the threads by posting hard words...but people here are creative I have since unsubscribed from the threads (and hopefully won't get sucked back in ). I'm surprised at how long they are going...I keep thinking they will die a natural death, but it doesn't seem likely at this point.
    Democrats are Sexy. Who has ever heard of a good piece of elephant?

OK, fair enough. I stand corrected ... *shrug* I'll go stand, lonely, in the corner of "I just don't see the allure."
    --Mary Kate--

"In all our woods there is not a tree so hard to kill as the buckeye. The deepest girdling does not deaden it, and even after it is cut down and worked up into the side of a cabin it will send out young branches, denoting to all the world that Buckeyes are not easily conquered, and could with difficulty be destroyed." - Daniel Drake, 1833

That's okay, MK! I always skip the "cute pet doings" threads, since I don't see the allure of animals in the house. And I am positive I'm going to be alone in that corner!
    Margaret

I, too, have participated for the fun of it, not to rack up posts. One of the things I enjoy about this forum is the variety of threads -- some are fun and ridiculous, some thoughtful and supportive, some firey, and some informative. I wouldn't change a thing.
    Blogging about Barb horses at The Barb Wire and about the simple pleasures of less urban living at Nightlife. Saddle up and come along for the ride!

Originally posted by Jazzmatazz49
    That's okay, MK! I always skip the "cute pet doings" threads, since I don't see the allure of animals in the house. And I am positive I'm going to be alone in that corner!
    Nope, I'll stand with you. And for the record, I haven't been reading the word game threads either just because ,just like MK, I have no interest. They don't bother me though and I never looked at it as a "race to rack up post #s".

I admit to being one of those people posting to silly threads... In fact, I'm not only posting TO them, I'm also starting some! (Folding cat- my idea)

I'm off for the summer and this is my "play time," so to speak. Over the last week or so I've been on the Internet A LOT because I'm doing searches on about 100 lost college classmates. It gets very monotonous doing all those fruitless searches, so I come here to "escape" and keep my mind sharp. (I keep the CL BB window minimized and pop in when I need to.) I'm not doing it to rack up posts... why should I? There's no prize $ involved and, besides, I'd never be able to catch up to BB Goddesses like Sneezles, Gail, Funnybone, valchemist, etc.

Anyway, I do realize I have been posting a lot lately. Isn't acknowledgment the first step?

Like all those political and controversial threads- I've noticed an awful lot of those lately. I guess if you post it, people will come!

**Tyra- I noticed you've been posting not-so-easy-to-associate words! Didn't realize your motive... just thought you were very creative!
    "Life is a cookie."
    Alan Arkin, Grosse Pointe Blank

Originally posted by Jazzmatazz49
    I am with you! I am allergic to most pets.
    For you to be here now, trillions of drifting atoms had somehow to assemble in an intricate and intriguingly obliging manner to create you. It's an arrangement so specialized and particular that it has never been tried before and will only exist this once.

--Bill Bryson, "A Short History of Nearly Everything"

I'm there with you MK. My prediction: by the end of the week, 10k posts will be no big deal.
    "Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. We need to have the strength and power of a football player, the stamina of a marathon runner and the concentration of a brain surgeon. But, we need to put all this together while moving at high speeds on a cold and slippery surface while 5 other guys use clubs to try and kill us. Oh, yeah, did I mention that this whole time we're standing on blades 1/8 of an inch thick. Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. Next question."

As one who has probably racked up more firvolous posts than most of you have total, I find it hard to understand why someone's frivolity has to be slammed? There are thousands of frivolous posts ( Penzey's ; Haikus ,Radio , Plumbing ). There are tons of threads that I find offensive but I tend to ignore rather than post my opinion. And I've simply begun to just roll my eyes at political threads since they're simply a train wreck, more times than not.
    If JenniferCL has a problem with a thread then she can deal with it. If you have a problem with a thread why not take it up with Jennifer?

Are we now to limit the number of responses we can have on a thread?

Oh well, I'm off to find the directions on folding the cat...Squeaker needs a lesson or two...
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

Originally posted by sneezles
    Are we now to limit the number of responses we can have on a thread?

Oh well, I'm off to find the directions on folding the cat...Squeaker needs a lesson or two...
    # of posts NEVER crossed my mind. Who cares anyway? This could be considered a frivilous, post-adding thread too.

editing to add: WOW, I have almost 400 posts???
    Everyone needs to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. . .

Originally posted by PAMMELA

# of posts NEVER crossed my mind. Who cares anyway?
    Look at the number of "look! I just made 276 posts!" threads. People do care.
    "Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. We need to have the strength and power of a football player, the stamina of a marathon runner and the concentration of a brain surgeon. But, we need to put all this together while moving at high speeds on a cold and slippery surface while 5 other guys use clubs to try and kill us. Oh, yeah, did I mention that this whole time we're standing on blades 1/8 of an inch thick. Is ice hockey hard? I don't know, you tell me. Next question."

# of posts NEVER crossed my mind. Who cares anyway?

ok ok i have to admit i was i was only because i was new and didnt know you had to have at least 10 posts to get an avatar...but now that i have one...i dont care about how many posts i have i just wanted a cute avatar dang it...

Originally posted by feistyDeeDee
    i dont care about how many posts i have i just wanted a cute avatar dang it...

LOL Me too! And I still can't figure out how to put one on (my own I mean!).

And I guess i'm still rather new here as I don't recall reading about the YAY # of posts threads. I guess I should say, I don't care!
    Everyone needs to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. . .

There are those that like to toot the horn when they reach a certain level and then there are those of us who just post and post and post....
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

I'll hijack the thread and try and answer your question. A custom avatar must reside on somewhere on the web and it can't exceed 50x50 pixels. You can find any picture that fits that criteria and use it. It CAN NOT be on your hard drive (even though the BB says it can ). Hope that helps
    Democrats are Sexy. Who has ever heard of a good piece of elephant?

And I guess i'm still rather new here as I don't recall reading about the YAY # of posts threads. I guess I should say, I don't care!

lol i hear ya...

Originally posted by tbb113

I'll hijack the thread and try and answer your question. A custom avatar must reside on somewhere on the web and it can't exceed 50x50 pixels. You can find any picture that fits that criteria and use it. It CAN NOT be on your hard drive (even though the BB says it can ). Hope that helps

ok i was reading this too, and also wanted to ask how did you get the animated avatar?...are they on here or did you get it from a website?

It had never even occurred to me that people would post to see their numbers go up. I'M SHOCKED. Try as we may, though we're not, we could never catch up with the board originals.

I thought the word games were fun. However, since it is upsetting some, I shall refrain.

Besides, Mary Kate, you were the first to congratulate d_ferrero, when she hit a thousand. What was that about, do you get to chose how much we can post?
    Last edited by jmarie; 07-30-2004 at 01:30 PM.
    You may have had a lot of unfair things happen, but when you look back over your life, remember something good that has happened for you. Replay the good memories. Joel Osteen

I started the word thread, and I mentioned the post total thing, but it really wasn't set up to get the posts.

Someone on another board compared the word association thread to "Bulletin Board Heroin".

After looking at the number of pages, I'd have to agree.

Still, if people enjoy it, who am I to judge? Let them eat cake!
    More calm, cool, scathing logic that drives women crazy...

Originally posted by Escher
    Still, if people enjoy it, who am I to judge? Let them eat cake!
    No thanks, it might have a booger in it.

As Escher mentioned, the "Word Association" thread began with:

Originally posted by Escher
    Want a quick way to boost your post total?
    I doubt it didn't cross anyone's mind.
    Kristin

Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut.

Originally posted by badunnin
    No thanks, it might have a booger in it.
    LOL
    "Life is a cookie."
    Alan Arkin, Grosse Pointe Blank

I think using these threads as filler just doesn't have much impact. Most people here will use post numbers as somewhat of a reference point, but it is far from the only or the most important indicator of a person's character. There are lots of other ways to judge that... spellling for exapmle.
    ~ I used to be undecided, but now I'm not so sure ~ Boscoe Pertwee