Community Message Boards

Thread: Marketing Artwork, What are the best examples?

Marketing Artwork, What are the best examples?

I'm fascinated by the artwork companies choose to represent their product. A peanut with a top hat, spats and monocle? A sort of doofy looking bear selling toilet paper? Well, sure, why not? Most are kitchy or hip but I've seen a few packages and advertisements that I've thought are really compelling enough to make me buy the product. Today though I bought a box of Late July crackers, purely based on the artwork. I hope they are tasty.

Seen any good marketing lately?
    ~ I used to be undecided, but now I'm not so sure ~ Boscoe Pertwee

Oh, I am totally a sucker for good packaging. I bought these crackers to go with a cheese spread a couple of weeks ago, just because I liked the packaging the best (and I knew they'd be good b/c they were from Stonewall Kitchen):

I sometimes find myself buying something despite the packaging. For instance, Kashi To Good Friends. I just think those pictures of people are a little weird. And I think the name is weird. But I buy it anyway, because I like the product. I probably would never have tried it if it hadn't been for recommendations here on the BB, though, because those pictures of smiling people would have creeped me out to much.
    We figured there was too much happiness here for just the two of us, so we figured the next logical step was to have us a critter.

- H.I. McDunnough, "Raising Arizona"
    --------------------------------------------------
    Ask me about Kelly's Kids children's clothes!

I have a soft spot for Celestial Seasonings tea packages. A few years ago they had a sales campaign which included tea tins in with your tea bags. Boy did I end up with a lot of them! I was actually grateful when they stopped that particular campaign, because my obsession was getting a trifle out of hand.
    I believe in the forest, and in the meadow, and in the night in which the corn grows. -Henry David Thoreau

I can't really read the name on those crackers Rebecca, are they really called Dead End Crackers? That is good packaging if it can overcome a name like that.

Oh I love those celestial seasonings boxes! Their little quotes are fun. And I like the republic of tea's little round tins too.

Originally posted by rosie_one
    I can't really read the name on those crackers Rebecca, are they really called Dead End Crackers?
    Tee hee! No, they are called Down East crackers. And they are very yummy, totally living up to their packaging (if not their price tag... they were $4.99! )
    We figured there was too much happiness here for just the two of us, so we figured the next logical step was to have us a critter.

Oh, and I meant to tell you that I bought some Late July crackers recently for exactly the same reason. I got the Cheddar ones. A little on the salty side, but very flaky and buttery. I liked them.

I tend to be a sucker for packaging, too but I really love the Down East (Dead End ) crackers! They sell them at the Viking store that I pass every day on my walk home from work. I know they are pricey, but since there is no grocery store downtown. . .they are the only thing I can get when the cracker craving kicks in (which is quite often - I seem to have this weird affinity for crackers dipped in fat free cottage cheese ))

originally posted by Rebecca T
    I just think those pictures of people are a little weird
    Ha! I have always thought that. Who came up with that marketing strategy?
    Now, I don't know about you, but with me a feeling of fitness and well-being always lends extra zest to the cocktail hour ~ Christopher Hitchens

Down East! Of course... doh.

It was the road on the package that threw me. HA. Dead end crackers. I must need new glasses.

Originally posted by RebeccaT

I sometimes find myself buying something despite the packaging. For instance, Kashi To Good Friends. I just think those pictures of people are a little weird. And I think the name is weird. But I buy it anyway, because I like the product. I probably would never have tried it if it hadn't been for recommendations here on the BB, though, because those pictures of smiling people would have creeped me out to much.
    OMG - I feel the exact same way. They need a total overhaul on all of their cereals. I can't imagine how many people might pick them up if they didn't have the huge heads on the front of the boxes. Is there even a picture of the cereal on the package?? I would have never in a million years bought these cereals had I not heard several people raving about them. Now they're my favorite - especially the Cinna-Raisin Crunch. I just have to "decant" them into a plastic cereal container as soon as we get home.

This is funny - I thought I was the only one that hated the Kashi boxes!! I never would have tried it without the recommendation from this board. Now GoLean Crunch is an absolute staple in my pantry.

Just another reason I love this board so much!

Originally posted by leightx
    They need a total overhaul on all of their cereals. I can't imagine how many people might pick them up if they didn't have the huge heads on the front of the boxes. Is there even a picture of the cereal on the package??

There is a picture on the package. On the Cinna-Raisin crunch box the two "heads" are holding a bowl of the cereal.
    What I find weird about Kashi is the description of the cereal. On the Cinna-Raisin it says: Crispy Whole Grain Flakes, Cinnamon Granola & Raisins, and Crunchy Blossoms.
    I can imagine people looking at the box and thinking "What the heck is a Crunchy Blossom?" (Which is what I thought before I bought it!)
    Like other people -- the only reason I tried it is because so many people on this BB raved about Kashi..and my grocery store finally stocked it!!!

I love the crackers, both the plain and the cheese version, which has a different tin, but it's really the tins I love and save, use them for everything!

Then, too, I've always loved

BOB

I love it when a company goes retro w/ their packing.