Community Message Boards

Thread: Ceramic vs wood flooring in kitchen

Question Ceramic vs wood flooring in kitchen

We're considering building a new home and the model that we saw had a ceramic tile floor in the kitchen that we really liked the look of. We've heard, however, that ceramic can stain easily and also chip.

Do any of you have ceramic floor and if so, are you happy with it? Or would you prefer to have wood? How hard is it to keep clean.....(with two kids )? Also, is ceramic tough to stand on for long periods of time?

TIA
    "It is no small thing that someone so fresh from God loves us."

Charles Dickens

We moved into a house here that has ceramic tile from having linoliem in our old house. The only problems we have had with staining would be in the grout. DH has accidently dropped a few bowls/dishes that shattered but nothing happened to the tile - no chips or anything.

I dont find it very comfortable to stand on for long periods of time unless I am wearing my shoes - we have a foam mat infront of the sink and infront of the island that makes it a lot more comfortable. The tiles are the first thing the dogs head for though - because it really keeps it cool on the floor. I really enjoy the look of it though and if I were building a new house I would go with tile again.

shoyski, I have slate tile in my current kitchen. I imagine this would be 'tougher' to stand on than ceramic and I don't have any problem. We have a black grout so getting that stained isn't really an issue, plus the tiles and grout are sealed.

We just bought a new house and we've decided to go with wood floors this time around for the kitchen. I like the warmth it brings to the room as it's one of my favorite places to be. I imagine, due to it's layout (it has a bar and breakfast room) it will become a room often used, so I wanted to make it as welcoming as possible.
    Adele

My Blog - http://passioknit.blogspot.com/

This house came with wood in the whole downstairs, including in the kitchen. It has a nice continuous look. However, dropping a can in it can put a slight ding in it. I also heard that if you have wood in kitchens you should be careful of the steam a dishwasher creates when it washes affecting the wood, but since our wood is sealed, we haven't had that problem at all .

In my current and previous homes, I have had tile in my kitchen and really liked it. To me there are only 2 downfalls to tile in the kitchen - standing on it for long periods can be tough, and the grout will discolor easily if it is a light color or if you don't seal the grout each year. So, I wear sneakers if I'm going to be in the kitchen all day preparing for a party or something and I try to seal the grout once a year ( it takes no time at all ).
    Terri _A
    I'm anal retentive. I'm a workaholic. I have insomnia. And I'm a control freak. That's why I'm not married. Who could stand me?” -Madonna

Read my ramblings about food and my nutty life on A Girl in the South!

The house I grew up in, my MIL's house, and the house we just bought all have tile in the kitchen. I'm not a big fan, though it is nice and cool.

My heels hurt terribly after standing on tile unless I wear shoes, and I hate wearing shoes in the house. If the subfloor below the tile isn't perfectly stiff, tile can crack easily, and it is unforgiving if you drop anything. It's also slippery when it gets wet.

I am planning to rip out the tile in our kitchen and replace it with wood next year, but that's just me!

We put an addition on our house last summer which includes a bigger kitchen -- so I also was in the same spot you are. Just like anything else there is good and bad about both ceramic and wood flooring. For me personally, the wood floor seemed to be the obvious choice because of the amount of time I spend in the kitchen. I've worked for long periods of time on ceramic floor and it killed my feet. I also found the wood flooring has a very warm and inviting feel to it versus the cold feeling of ceramic. The other thing to consider is the fact that you can have a wood floor refinished at least once in it's lifetime.

I've had both tile and wood and prefer the wood for several reasons, some already stated. The wood is definitely easier on the back and feet. With the tile, I would inevitably drop something into the grout and even though the grout was sealed, it still stained. (Darker grout would help this.) The wood is easier to clean IMO. It is a little more delicate than tile, but I'm having no problems with mine. I didn't notice what part of the country you are in, but there is also just a "warmth" about wood that I like (even though I'm in hot, humid Houston).

Kim

I've always had tile and when I redo this kitchen in a few years I will be putting in wood. I like tile, but it is tough to stand on for hours on end and we had one tiny section that was not perfectly set and the FIRST DAY we moved into our new house, the neighbor boy dropped his chair and it cracked the tile about an inch long, right in the middle of the floor. And of course the tile is discontinued and there is no more of it to be had. Though it's not easy to replace just one tile though so not sure we would have even if we had the tile to do it.

I like the idea that tile is a lot more durable and you don't have to baby it, but wood has the "right" look to me and much easier on the feet.

Kristi
    co-founder
    Planet Marshmallow
    www.planetmarshmallow.com

In our previous house we had ceramic tile in the kitchen and I hated it! The grout stained terribly, it cracked in several places and anything dropped on it shatters into a thousand pieces.

We were renting this house, so we couldn't seal the grout. The landlords wouldn't pay for it. Consequently, the floor always looked dirty.

I love the hardwood we now have. I don't find it difficult to care for and the occasionally dropped glass will sometimes bounce!

Renee
    Happiness is a good piece of chocolate and a good cup of coffee.

If you do tile in the kitchen, go for the porcelain tile - it's so durable you could pave your driveway with it! We just put it in our new house and used a beautiful red color with a darker grout. Gorgeous. If you are worried about the chill factor you can lay a heated pad under certain areas of the tile for warmth. I also have a throw rug in areas that I stand in for periods of time.

I've had wood as well, I like them both equally.
    Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Hi!

I grew up with tile in all the ouse. Then our two homes have had tile kitchens. I most say I am when at home most of the time barefoot and I have never had a problem with tiles. Now my tiles are dark and dirt does not show as much.
    All the new homes I noticed have pergo or hardwood floors. It does give an elegant look to the kitchen.
    I do know that tiles are "extra" when building homes and I was very surprised at the price ! (ouch!).
    My neighboor did her kitchen in wood floors and she put awsome tiles as counters looks awsome.

In my opinion, based on my experience, I will NEVER NEVER NEVER have tile in any room where standing for long periods of time is necessary - i.e. the kitchen. Also, in a climate that has long winters, depending on the floor, your floor can be cold, which further aggravates standing on it. Yuk! It's just nasty. I would wear my tennis shoes all winter long.

If I had my option I would have a nice lineoleum or laminate wood flooring in my future kitchens.
    Springtime is my time of year!

I had tile floors in my old house and I hated them. The tiles weren't flat, so they were a pain to clean. The grout was also light. Everything that dropped broke. It was also rough to stand for a long period of time, and I'm only 26. My mom had tile in her house, and the tiles chipped constantly. I love wood. My next house will have wood floors in the kitchen. I like the look, and I think it will be easier to clean. You can buy more dense woods that won't show dents as much. I also really like the look of these new bamboo floors that are on the market, but the price is really exhorbitant right now. I'll probably wait a few more years until the price lowers more before I indulge. http://www.bamtex.com/
    If loving me is wrong, you don't want to be right.

Don't touch the hair!
    JB

I'm in the process of remodeling my condo and went through that same decision dilemma. My daughter has tile in the kitchen in her condo (in FL) and I like the look but knew that it would be harder on my legs and back and I spend a lot of time in the kitchen because I love to cook. I ended up doing my entire first floor (minus an entry area and 1/2 bath in engineered hardwood. It was just put in last week and I L-O-V-E the way it feels underfoot. I tend to be barefoot most of the time and it feels 'soft.'

I'm sure I'll get some dents and dings eventually but I don't think I'll regret the decision. The woman from the flooring company said that my Swiffer would become my best friend and she's right.

I also had tile put in the entry and bath and was told to clean it with vinegar and water so as not to leave a residue. I haven't sealed it yet but may be doing that this weekend.

I am busy right now and can't post a picture. But we chose darker grout for our kitchen floor because my husband had heard about the staining of the lighter grout and I have to tell you....I LOVE IT! It looks great!

I love my ceramic floor so much! Now what I did was to put a thick rug at the refrigerator door, because we were told that would be the place most likely to get a chipped tile.

I also placed one at the kitchen sink and at the stove door. We purchased extra tile and grout and have it saved in a back cabinet to replace any tile that might get chipped or cracked or broken. We laid our tile in 1996 and I am proud to say not one chipped, cracked or broken tile. I have dropped the mayo jar several times and a pot dropped off my pot rack once, but both landed on the rug.

I wouldn't trade tile, in the kitchen for any other type of flooring. Let us know what you decide!
    You may have had a lot of unfair things happen, but when you look back over your life, remember something good that has happened for you. Replay the good memories. Joel Osteen

We have a hardwood floor in our kitchen. When we moved into our house two years ago, there was a vinyl floor in the kitchen and we replaced it with the hardwood. We love the way it looks, and for a long time it was fine for us. However, DS is 17 months old and is always dripping/spilling or dropping something on the floor (usually the culprit is a leaky sippy cup), and the floor has really taken a beating. Sometimes we can't get to a spill right away, so something will seep into the spaces between the planks. A year ago, our washing machine leaked (the laundry room is off the kitchen) and water got underneath the part of the kitchen floor that is closest to the laundry room, so that part of the floor has a weird, "weathered" look to it. So the plan is to replace the hardwood with ceramic tile in the next six months. I had ceramic tile in the kitchen in my prior house and I tell ya, it is hard on your feet and back when you're standing for long periods of time. I never had a problem with the tile staining, but it did chip (not easily, though). I'm not thrilled with the idea of ceramic tile, but wood just isn't practical, for us at least, with a little one. hth.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

Your replies were incredibly helpful and I was glad I thought to post here and ask. We currently have wood and I really like it, but wanted to know about ceramic having never experienced it before. We ended up going with wood for a variety of reasons.

I have a tendency to get cold easily so the thought of having to wear shoes all winter for a ceramic floor didn't thrill me. Also, the whole deal with it being hard on your back wasn't good because I already have a bad back. And one of the biggest reasons is that with two kids (ages 6 months and 3 years old), I don't want to have to worry about scraped knees or hard falls.

There are definitely pros and cons with both, as I can tell by reading your responses, but I think (and hope )that wood is the best for us at this stage in our life.

Thanks again and have a great weekend!
    "It is no small thing that someone so fresh from God loves us."

Charles Dickens

Just wanted to tell you tiles can be heated if you don't want to step into cold tiles in winter.

My old home had tiles and I didn't like them. Grout staining was a problem and where the tiles met with another room (thresh-hold) ((kitchen into dinig room etc..) the tiles would crack. I now have a pergot floor (similar to a hard wood) and I love it. Very easy to clean etc.... Good luck deciding!

My husband works in a flooring (mostly hardwood) store so needless to say when we built our house we put hardwood throughout....EXCEPT for the kitchen and bathrooms. He didn't want to chance having the wood in an area where there could be water damage. Especially if you go with pre-finished hardwood --- the water can seep in the seams and then "wick" through a bigger area. We have ceramic tile in the kitchen and I'm really happy with that decision. There are some downsides, as mentioned above but where I work (insurance adjusters) I have seen the damage that water can do to hardwood --- scary!

Lucius Best: You tell me where my suit is, woman! We are talking about the greater good!
    Honey Best: Greater good? I am your wife! I'm the greatest good you are ever gonna get!

"The Incredibles" (Lucius Best aka Frozone)