Community Message Boards

Thread: Need food suggestions for beer-tasting party

Need food suggestions for beer-tasting party

We're having a beer-tasting party at our house this weekend, and I'm having problems thinking of out-of-the ordinary food to serve. This party will be held later in the evening, so I won't be serving dinner per se, but I'd like some of the food to be a little more substantial. It's also VERY casual (I'm hoping the weather will cooperate and we can have it outside on our deck). There will probably be about 20-30 people. So far, I'm planning on making the obligatory 7-layer-dip and tortilla chips, honey-soy chicken wings, and probably some bruschetta (sp?). What else would you suggest serving??
    Alicia

You could serve chicken salad on dollar rolls--quick, easy
    and hand-held. Meatballs always seem to be a big hit.

Sounds like fun! We had a 'bad beer party' a few years
    ago and it was a BLAST!! Each couple brought a six-pack
    of their entry for the worst beer. We had a panel of
    judges who tasted each entry then rated them.

Hope you have fun!
    DoDo

I agree with the meatballs, I was about to suggest why not try CL's spinach artichoke dip instead of the seven layer dip? When ever I eat that dip and drink beer with it, its always a good combination!

Originally posted by DoDoDurk

We had a 'bad beer party' a few years
    ago and it was a BLAST!! Each couple brought a six-pack
    of their entry for the worst beer. We had a panel of
    judges who tasted each entry then rated them.
    What a great idea! May have to try that.

gobluem82 -- What about miniture pizzas? Beer and pizza go hand-in-hand. Maybe something like these:

Barbecue Pizza Bites
    From Cooking Light

1/2 pound ground round
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    1/2 cup chopped carrot
    1/3 cup barbecue sauce
    3 tablespoons brown sugar
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    Dash of black pepper
    4 (4-ounce) Italian pizza crusts (such as Boboli)
    1/4 cup (1 ounce) finely shredded provolone or part-skim mozzarella cheese
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro

Preheat oven to 450.
    Cook beef, onion, and carrot in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until browned, stirring to crumble. Drain well; return meat mixture to pan. Stir in barbecue sauce, sugar, salt, and pepper; reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes.

Place pizza crusts on a baking sheet. Divide beef mixture evenly among crusts, and sprinkle with cheese. Bake pizzas at 450 for 12 minutes or until cheese melts. Sprinkle pizzas with cilantro. Cut each pizza into 4 wedges.

Yield: 16 servings (serving size: 1 wedge)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
    CALORIES 78 (25% from fat); FAT 2.2g (sat 0.9g, mono 0.8g, poly 0.3g); PROTEIN 5.2g; CARB 9.2g; FIBER 0.5g; CHOL 10mg; IRON 0.8mg; SODIUM 178mg; CALC 57mg;
    Now, I don't know about you, but with me a feeling of fitness and well-being always lends extra zest to the cocktail hour ~ Christopher Hitchens

The first thing that came to mind was that Buffalo Chicken Dip that Little Bit posted on the BB.

I have a recipe for honey garlic meatballs that is fantastic if you want them. Maybe Barefoot Contessas Panfried Onion Dip w/ some fancy chips? I also love these little yummies..........great if your not looking for a light dish.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Brown Sugar Smokies

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 package little -- (16 ounce)
    smokie sausages
    1 pound bacon
    1 cup brown sugar -- or to taste

Directions
    1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

2 Cut bacon into thirds and wrap each strip around a little sausage. Place the wrapped sausages on wooden skewers, several to a skewer. Arrange the skewers on a baking sheet and sprinkle them liberally with brown sugar.

3 Bake until bacon is crisp and the brown sugar melted.

Description:
    "Bacon-wrapped yummies! You can make these little smokies on skewers
    or toothpick them to secure."

NOTES : Allrecipes, Submitted by Tina Clinkenbeard

Posters Notes: Prepare the night before and let marinate in sugar/bagon mixture. Also bake 45 minutes, turning halfway through baking time. Try to use throw away sheets, or cover with foil.

Sweet 'n Spicy Kielbasa

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

1 cup packed brown sugar
    6 tbsp. spicy mustard
    1 small onion -- finely chopped
    2 pounds smoked kielbasa -- cut into 2-inch
    pieces

1. Combine brown sugar, mustard and onion in crock pot; add kielbasa, stirring to evenly coat. Cover and cook on low-heat 2-1/2 to 3 hours, stirring occasionally. Yield: 6 servings.

Steph's Country Kitchen Goodness

Spinach balls!
    You can't drink rum on the beach all day if you don't start in the morning.

Tizzylish please post that meatball recipe...sounds interesting!

Pat

Sure thing! I never used the meatball recipe for this, I always use CL's Beef Meatball recipe since its one of my favorites.

These also hold over great in a crockpot or chafing dish.

Honey-garlic Meatballs

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 55 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

2 lbs. ground chuck
    1 c. dried breadcrumbs
    3/4 c. milk
    1/2 c. onion -- minced
    2 eggs
    1 can water chestnuts -- chopped fine
    2 tsp. salt

Mix above ingredients well. Shape into 1" size balls. Place in single layer on cookie sheet and bake 15-20 min. at 375 degrees. Drain well and set aside.

Sauce:

2 Tbsp. butter
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    3/4 c. ketchup
    1/2 c. honey
    1/4 c. soy sauce (I use Lite)

Melt butter in saucepan and saute garlic briefly. Add ketchup, honey and soy sauce. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer five minutes. Add meatballs to sauce. Return to a boil and simmer uncovered 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally or until sauce glazes meatballs.

Makes 55-60

Description:
    "Trish/FL Recipe Link"

Not low fat, but this is very tasty and would go great with beer!

Reuben Dip

1/2 cup mayonnaise
    1/2 cup Thousand Island dressing
    16 ounces sauerkraut, rinsed and squeezed dry
    8 ounces shredded corned beef
    16 ounces shredded Swiss cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
    In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise and dressing.
    Spread sauerkraut into a 9x13-inch baking dish. Layer corned beef, Swiss cheese, and the mayonnaise-dressing mixture on top of the sauerkraut.
    Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.

Serve with crackers, party rye bread slices, or pumpernickel snack sticks.

That is such a neat idea for a party! I may borrow that for a party I was planning for this fall. I have another appetizer suggestion. I have been asked to bring these to many functions. The chicken gets so tender in this recipe.

Chicken-Bacon Nuggets:

2 large skinned and boned chicken breast halves
    8 bacon slices, cut into 1/3's
    1/2 cup orange marmalade
    1/4 cup soy sauce
    2 T sesame oil
    1 tsp ground ginger
    1 garlic clove, minced

Cut chicken breasts into 24 (1 inch) cubes. Wrap each cube with bacon and secure with a wooden pick.

Stir together marmalade thru garlic in a shallow dish; add chicken nuggets. Cover and chill 2 hours, turning occasionally.

Coat a rack and broiler pan with cooking spray. Place chicken nuggets on rack in broiler pan. Bake at 450 for 10 minutes. Turn and bake 10 more minutes.

We used to have a regular Sunday night beer tasting with one of our friends and we always had lightly salted popcorn cooked without fat to cleanse our palate between beers.

I think we got the idea from a book...OK, I just looked it up in The Beer-Taster's Log by James Robertson. Here's what he says: "When tasting beer, it is important to know what foods will not interfere with the palate. Salty and oily foods should be avoided, as they directly affect the palate's sensitivity to certain features of the brew. Of course, this eliminates virtually all the foods traditionally associated with enjoying beer: pretzels, sausages, chips, salted or plain nuts, and so on. We have found the plain, lightly salted, unbuttered popcorn is the most effective in "clearing the palate" between brews and does little to blunt the taster's ability."

OK, so that's obviously if you're really really serious about tasting the beer. If it's mostly a party where you'll be trying different beers, then that's a whole different thing. We were really just about tasting and comparing beer at our little events, so we'd usually eat first and then break out the brews and popcorn.

Have fun!
    ande

Rachael Ray just did an episode the other day where she made ham salad and served it inside Grands biscuits ... a small, handholdable, yet substantial bite to eat. Just made the recipe as one of the dishes I'm lugging to Supper Club tomorrow ... let me know if you want the recipe.
    Visit my website (mostly cooking, with life thrown in for good measure):
    http://www.sweetnicks.com

These suggestions all look great! I think I'm going to make the chicken-bacon nuggets instead of the wings I had planned (they taste great but get SO messy) and the mini-pizzas as well. But I'm definitely saving all of these recipes since I'm always looking for new and different appetizers to make. I knew I could count on you!
    Alicia

I thought I'd let you know how things went--the appetizers were enjoyed by all--thanks for the suggestions! The top three beers, from a blind taste-test, were:
    -- Sam Smith Oatmeal Stout
    -- Old Peculiar
    -- Celebrator

The bottom three were (no huge surprise):
    -- Old Milwaukee NA
    -- Michelob Ultra (low carb)
    -- Coors Light

One big surprise, thought, was that the 4th favorite beer (out of 13) was Sam Adams Light. The party was a lot of fun, even for those who weren't big beer drinkers. Thanks again!
    Alicia