Community Message Boards

Thread: Replacing regular cheese with goat cheese?

Replacing regular cheese with goat cheese?

Does anyone know if goat cheese can be used at any time in place of regular cheese? Milk based cheeses (but not other dairy products) upset my stomach, but I've had goat cheese on pizza and have had no problems with it. Usually I avoid recipes that call for cheese, but now I'm hoping I've stumbled upon a solution!

Well, I think it would depend on the recipe. Goat cheese is semi-soft, I believe, and has kind of a strong flavor. It's not going to melt like, say, cheddar or swiss, and the flavor profile will be different. But, I would definitely use it without hesitation in any recipe that called for a blue cheese or feta (although I think feta is sheep's milk ...). And, any recipe where the cheese is an accent rather than an integral part of the texture it should be OK. I use it myself in a lot of situations, but with the texture/flavor thing in mind.

P.S. You might look for true buffalo-milk mozzarella as well as sheep-milk cheeses and see if you can tolerate them. You might have to venture to a whole-foods store or gourmet shop, but then you'd be able to match cheese characters more closely.

I agree that it would probably depend on the recipe and cheese called for. On the other hand, I have noticed an ever-increasing variety of cheese made with goat milk at the health-food store - I have tried feta (wonderful!) and gouda (OK but a little bland) - so you might want to explore those as well.

You can actually get goat cheddar, goat brie, goat gouda...what we call "goat cheese" is usually montrachet or chevre, two specific kinds of goat cheese...check your local specialty stores and see what they have in goat and sheep's milk...I've had goat brief and goat gouda and they were fabulous!

Thank you ladies! I saw goat milk feta in the grocery store the other day as well - I opted to use the "regular" feta and haven't had any problems yet, so hopefully that means I can have sheep's milk cheeses too. I think milder flavours of goat cheese can definitely be used in place of mozzarella - hubby and I love to vacation in the Dominican Republic, and this is where I've tried the pizza with goat cheese instead of regular mozzarella. It's quite yummy and doesn't taste nearly as heavy as pizza here at home. I blame my usual 3-5 lb vacation weight gain on the fact that I pig out on the goat cheese pizza, since it's a treat I can't get at home! I will have to keep an eye out next time I shop and see what cheeses are available...I think it will be trial and error, but well worth it if I can find a suitable replacement for regular cheese! Thank you!

Originally posted by Ginnyfyr
    hubby and I love to vacation in the Dominican Republic, and this is where I've tried the pizza with goat cheese instead of regular mozzarella. ... it's a treat I can't get at home!
    That's odd ... goat cheese on pizza is quite common here in Nashville. Not in "pizza parlors" or Italian restaurants, but in upscale casual restaurants I get it all the time. I love goat cheese (yes! I mean Chevre or Montrachet!) on pasta dressed simply with olive oil, on salads, etc.

I've never seen it offered here at home (near Toronto, Canada) BUT hubby and I don't eat out very often either, so I'm sure it is available somewhere. I've gotten used to omitting pizza as an option when I have fast food, but I would love to be able to make my own goat cheese pizza & be able to use goat cheese in other recipes. At least now I now, if I'm ever in Nashville, I can have goat cheese pizza! lol