Community Message Boards

Thread: Help with dull granite countertops

Help with dull granite countertops

Okay, so I recently moved into a new home with granite countertops. I didn't know any better and cleaned them with standard cleaners - Comet and Soft Scrub. Yes, big mistake! I didn't realize you weren't supposed to use abrasives - argh! Anyway I don't think there is too much damage but the finish is a little dull. I bought a cleaner safe for granite and though it cleans okay, the counters still look dull. Anyone have any suggestions on what I can use to restore the shine or buff them up?

There's a product called Granite Sheen , the link is to a pdf file that also has an 800- number. HTH!
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

OK, this one is for a stone polish for countertops (the first one is for granite floors...).
    Well-behaved women seldom make history!

My husband did that to our granite island while I stood there and told him that you couldn't use abrasives on granite. :mad: Whenever I wasn't in the kitchen, he would do it again. (I'm just getting it clean!) A friend caught him doing it and told him that you weren't supposed to do it, so he stopped.

Since our island was so small, it wasn't worth resealing. I just wiped it down with mineral oil.

You could get a company to come out, sand the countertops down and reseal them. They're supposed to be resealed every year. The sanding will make them uniformly smooth. I think the sanding is done every 5 years. Since you just moved in, you don't know how the previous owners treated the countertops. If you seal the countertops properly now, you can avoid permanent stains. You can also pick a high gloss or low gloss luster for your surface.
    If loving me is wrong, you don't want to be right.

Don't touch the hair!
    JB

My husband did that to our granite island while I stood there and told him that you couldn't use abrasives on granite. Whenever I wasn't in the kitchen, he would do it again. (I'm just getting it clean!) A friend caught him doing it and told him that you weren't supposed to do it, so he stopped.
    Not related to granite countertops, but this sounds like my husband. He has to hear it from someone other than me before he believes it. It must be a husband thing. That, and not reading directions. DH decided to clean the new oven. Note that he normally never comes near the oven, but (I guess) wanted to play with the self-cleaning feature. Naturally, he doesn't read the directions that state IN BOLD in several places "Remove oven racks before cleaning oven." I came home, saw what was going on, and had a fit. Luckily the racks discolored only slightly. What IS it with them???

Now, back to your regularly scheduled topic . . .

Hee Hee, Barbara. I'm an Interior Designer. Its not like I was making the countertop story up. Men.

Don't touch the hair!
    JB

I'm pretty sure the abrasives have removed the seal from your rock. You can go to Home Depot or Lowe's and buy new sealing stuff specifically for granite. You can apply it yourself. Something like applying it, letting it sit and wiping clean I think.

When our countertop was installed the guy said to only use products that DO NOT contain acetone (Or abrasives ). This wipes out Windex and a lot of glass cleaners. There is a product out here called SprayWay that is a glass cleaner and doesn't contain acetone.

Hope this helps!
    *Susan*

"One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries."

A.A. Milne

Another reason I'm getting Avanza quartz countertops. I'm not one to be that careful. A friend tells me she has to use ammonia-free cleaner on all her granite and marble, that one time with the wrong cleanser will ruin it. The granite is gorgeous, but there are too many people trying to help me in the kitchen!
    Margaret

Thanks for all the replies! I will be re-sealing them today so wish me luck.

Jazzmatazz, I know Avanza is an engineered stone. I would make sure that you have documentation that you can use household cleaners on it and set hot pans on it without problem. If it has acrylic in it, the acrylic could break down with heat and harsh chemicals. That's the problem with Corian type surfaces, you have to be really careful with them. I had a kitchen with Corian, and I was constantly watching everyone to make sure they weren't setting hot stuff on the counters. You can't always trust salespeople to know their stuff and give you all the correct information about the product. I would hate for you to have problems with your countertop later because its not what you think it is. If it is as durable and carefree as the salespeople say...let me know in a year. I'll be standing in line to buy it, too!

Don't touch the hair!
    JB

Cleaning Granite Countertops

We remodeled our kitchen last year and have Avanza. It is just wonderful. All we have to do is clean it with soap and water. The fabricator told us not to use any alcohol products. Avanza is granite with a special finish that does not have to be resealed. Your can place pots right from the range on it - just so easy to care for. We just love it!

I've just realized that my brain was disengaged when I posted my previous reply about Avanza. The fabricators told us not to use AMMONIA products on the countertop. I said alcohol. Sorry about that!

Carol

Solid Surfaces like Corian can't have ammonia on them because of the acrylic. I'm really surprised that hot pots don't bother it. We had claims filed at Wilsonart because of George Forman Grills. That's not nearly as hot as a pan directly from a stove. I'm impressed with this Avanza stuff. I am NOT one to baby stuff in the kitchen...I'm way too busy cooking.

Don't touch the hair!
    JB

http://www.oregondv.com/GraniteCare.htm

This site has several products and info whicj might be of help

Now that I know Avanza can't have ammonia either, I have a question. What cleaning products are ammonia-free? The site above has one brand, Rock Doctor, but I'm thinking about something I can get at Walmart. I would think that you should just stock your cleaning closet with nothing but ammonia-free cleaners, then you won't have to worry about making a faux pas with the stone.
    Margaret

I used to wipe my Corian down with a mixture of vinegar and water.

Any really germy stuff was done on my butcher block so I could bleach that without worry.

Don't touch the hair!
    JB

I don't mean to be redundant, but thought some of you might be interested in this info. I was going through some files today and found my brochure from Avanza and thought some of you might be interested in these statements from the manufacturer: Avanza starts with natural quartz and is pressure/heat treated with stain and impact-resistant polymers. No worry about hard knocks, hot pots, cuts, and spills. Never has to be sealed or polished, and has a ten year warranty. It was one of the installers that mentioned not using ammonia - the manager told me just wipe with soap and water; which I do. The brochure says it is: stain, scratch, bacteria, heat and burn resistant. As I said before we really do love it. The only downside is that it is so darned expensive. Now I'm sure you know more than you ever wanted to know!

Carol

It sounds like a great surface material. I know it costs about as much as granite, but it doesn't have to be sealed every year. The less maintenance the better is what I say!

Don't touch the hair!
    JB

If the store bought stuff doesn't do the trick a company will come out and professionally do it for a really reasonable cost. We have a big kitchen and I think ours was $300. Depending on the color of the granite and how hard you are on it, you may want to have it sealed every 1-3 years.

Good ol' blue dawn and water, then polish dry with a clean towel will work just fine. A dobie scrubby pad will not damage it but will get crusties off.

I wonder how all this info relates to marble. My kitchen (galley) and bathroom (head) counters are all marble, and they've gotten totally dull. I'd love to have them resealed and glossy again. It's such a relatively small amount of marble as compared to a home countertop I'd hate to have to pay someone to come do it.

Although lack of maintenance can make your granite countertops dull, it can be cleaned and polished by professionals to restore its shine.

My husband is in the granite & marble business, if anyone has any other questions

(Victoria, Where are you in Oz? My husband is an Aussie and he's from Busselton, WA.)

~Gail
    "I expect to pass through life but once.
    If, therefore, there be any kindness I can show or any good thing I can do any fellow being, let me do it now and not defer or neglect it, as I shall not pass this way again."
    -William Penn (1644-1718)

~~www.Nurse-Gail.com~~