Community Message Boards

Thread: what to do with london broil?

what to do with london broil?

hi all! thanks so much for all your help with your recipes...I need your help once again!

the family I nanny for has a london broil that they would like to use. But they have requested a stroganoff type recipe for this with egg noodles. I have never made anything like this or used this kind of meat! Any advice or recipes to make this really yummy? So that the meat isn't crazy tough?

thank you!!!

chloe

I don't know much about London Broil, but this is my absolute favorite Stroganoff recipe, posted here on the BB by our very own Jewel. I followed Jewel's suggestion and subbed 1 can of reduced fat Cream of Celery for one of the soups. Maybe others will be able to advise you on whether London Broil would be a good sub for the chuck.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Mushroom Stroganoff

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 Chuck Roast -- 3 lbs, cubed in 1"
    cubes
    1 large onion -- chopped
    4 stalks celery -- chopped
    2 TBS bottled minced garlic (or 6-8 cloves)
    3 cans Reduced Fat Cream of Mushroom Soup
    1 envelope Lipton Onion Soup Mix
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp black pepper
    4 cups No Yolk Egg Noodles -- cooked

Dredge beef in flour, salt, and pepper. Brown on all sides in hot oil. Drain.

Mix onions, celery, garlic, soups, salt and pepper together in crockpot, stir in beef cubes to coat thoroughly. Cook on low 8-9 hours or until meat is tender. Serve over cooked egg noodles.

Source:
    "Jewel from CL BB"
    -Rebecca

Endurance comes from exhaustion. Keep running!
    --DH, aka "Coach"

I did a google search and came up with the following. Looks like London Broil could be substituted for any stroganoff recipe that uses flank steak.

Let us know what you make and how it turns out!

http://southernfood.about.com/od/fla...r/bl30220j.htm

This one is similar to Jewel's
    http://southernfood.about.com/library/cprec/bl121_5.htm

North of the ocean, South of the Freeway, Mississippi Gulf Coast
    I discovered some time ago that we much prefer the flavor and general quality of the London Broil we can get compared to that of other types of beef for use in stew, stroganoff, pot roast, a dish we call 'Steak Fingers in Gravy" which would probably gross out some of the more fat phobic among us , hash, chili (cut it up rather fine, or grind it in the food processor), etc., etc., etc.

I usually buy a big chunk of meat and cut it either into strips or chunks and then freeze it in ziploc bags in half-pound amounts for quick meal preparation. Perfect for two.
    Anna
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    A fruit is a vegetable with looks and money.
    Plus, if you let fruit rot, it turns into wine,
    something Brussels sprouts never do.
    P. J. O'Rourke, humorist
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here's another good one posted by Peggy:

Peggy's Beef Stroganoff

Recipe By : Peggy from BB
    Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : Main Dish

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    2 lb filet of beef or boneless beef sirloin -- (if using sirloin sprinkle with instant unseasoned meat tenderizer) Note: I usually cut up a London Broil.
    6 tablespoons butter or margarine
    1 cup chopped onion
    2 cloves garlic -- minced or finely chopped
    1/2 pound fresh mushrooms -- sliced 1/4 inch thick
    4 tablespoons flour
    2 tablespoons catsup
    1/8 teaspoon black pepper
    10 1/2 oz can of condensed beef broth -- undiluted
    1/4 cup dry white wine -- Note:I usually use sherry if I don't have a bottle of wine open
    1 tablespoon snipped fresh dill -- or 1 teaspoon dried dillweed
    1 1/2 cup nonfat sour cream -- Note: original
    recipe called for full-fat sour cream,
    but I have been using fat-free with not
    sacrifice of flavor or consistency
    12 ozs egg noodles

1. Trim fat from beef. Cut crosswise into 1/2-inch thick slices. Cut each slice across grain into 1/2-inch-wide strips.

2. Slowly heat large, heavy skillet. In it, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Add just enough beef strips to cover the bottom of the skillet. Over high heat, sear quickly on all sides. With tongs, remove beef as it browns. (It should be brown on the outside and rare on the inside). Add butter as needed. Brown rest of the beef and set aside.

3. Add remaining butter to same skillet and saute onion, garlic, and mushrooms until onion is golden - about 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Add flour, catsup and pepper; stir until smooth. Gradually add beef broth; bring to a boil, stirring. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.

4. Over low heat, add wine, dill and sour cream stirring until well combined. Add beef; simmer just until sauce and beef are hot.

5. Serve stroganoff over hot, cooked egg noodles or rice. Sprinkle with dill or parsley.
    In a nutshell, I'm saying no to fishbread.
    - Wendy W - CLBB

This is not a stroganof, but is my family's favorite london broil. It is easy and very good.

Amounts are flexible:

Mix: ( I usually put it in the blender}

Soy sauce - about 1/2 cup

Several cloves of garlic - more is better as far as I am concerned!

A couple squirts of ketchup - about 1/4 cup or so

A little olive oil - - 1 to 2 Tbsp

1 tsp oregano

1 tsp black pepper

Poke meat generously with a fork, and place meat and marinade in a plastic zip loc bag. Marinate several hours or overnite. Grill over high heat 4 - 7 minutes per side depending on thickness. Should be pink in the center, as it can be tough if over cooked. Let set a couple minutes and slice. Enjoy!

London broil is also known as top round - it is a rather tough piece of meat unless it is cooked correctly & sliced correctly. I don't think it is a good cut for stroganoff - that is made with the scraps left from the small end of the tenderloin...a VERY tender piece of meat. It can be made with other very tender meat...but London Broil isn't that type of meat.

The key to London Broil is cooking it rare and cutting it thinly, on the slant. Score the meat on both sides, season with salt & coarsely ground black pepper, & cook it close to the element (broil) for 5 min/side. Let it rest for 10-15 minutes before slicing it, holding your knife almost parallel to the cutting board, and slicing the meat VERY thinly. It will be yummy & tender this way. Cook it much longer and you risk its being a bit tough.