Community Message Boards

Thread: How much uncooked pasta is 4 ounces?

How much uncooked pasta is 4 ounces?

Happy Friday, Everyone!

I am planning on making the Southwestern Pasta with Beans but need to half the recipe. Any idea how much 4 ounces of uncooked wagon wheels would be? Half of a cup? A whole cup?

I tried to do a search and couldn't find anything on uncooked pasta amounts. I normally just eyeball this kind of stuff from the box but my mom gave me a bag of the pasta and I have no idea how much was in the bag to begin with.

TIA!
    "It is no small thing that someone so fresh from God loves us."

Charles Dickens

That's a hard call because we can't see the size of the wheels.
    I gather you don't have a scale??

I found this on a website...but I think as this is a salad, you don't need to be precise...just figure how many it is to serve and what the serving sizes are for your wagaon wheels

Measuring pasta serving sizes

Serving eight for dinner and need to know how many cups of pasta a pound will make? Here are some general guidelines for measuring dry versus cooked pasta.

The general rule
    Shapes may vary in size according to the manufacturer, so use these measurements as generalizations. 8 oz. uncooked small to medium pasta shapes = 4 cups cooked
    (Examples: Elbow macaroni, medium shells, rotini, twists, spirals, wagon wheels, bow ties, mostaccioli, penne, ziti, radiatore, rigatoni)

8 oz. uncooked long pasta shapes = 1 1/2-inch diameter bunch = 4 cups cooked
    (Examples: Spaghetti, angel hair, linguine, vermicelli, fettuccine)

8 oz. uncooked egg noodles = 2 1/2 cups cooked
    A full hand = two cups
    The Food Guide Pyramid defines 1/2 cup cooked pasta as one serving. If you compare your hand to a plate of cooked pasta with sauce, you'll find that you're probably eating two cups of pasta, which means you're getting three to four servings of low-fat, high carbohydrate pasta in a single meal, at least half the recommended daily amount of grain foods.

A quarter = two ounces dry spaghetti
    Two ounces of dry long pasta bunched up in your hand, such as spaghetti, thin spaghetti, linguine or vermicelli, is about the same size as the diameter of a quarter. Two ounces of dry pasta yields about 1 cup of cooked pasta (two servings).
    Thoreau said, 'A man is rich in proportion to the things he can leave alone.'

I don't have any wagon wheel pasta, but I do have some Orecchiette which is about the same size. 4 ounces is about 1 and 1/4 cup of dry pasta.

Hope that helps!
    Rose

Not sure the size the box of your pasta is, but it it's 16 oz (or 1 lb), then 4 oz is 1/4 of the box.

If I'm reading right, she received the pasta in a bag that came from an unknown size bag or box!
    Everyone needs to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. . .

Originally posted by PAMMELA
    If I'm reading right, she received the pasta in a bag that came from an unknown size bag or box!
    ooops - didn't read her last line.

Thanks for the replies, everyone! Sorry for the delayed response. After I posted the question I didn't see it so figured I did something wrong. I didn't have time to re-post so figured I was SOL. Imagine my surprise when I logged on today and found the question with answers!
    "It is no small thing that someone so fresh from God loves us."

Charles Dickens