Community Message Boards

Thread: What's the best way to cook chicken breasts in a crockpot?

What's the best way to cook chicken breasts in a crockpot?

I have some skinless boneless chicken breasts. I want to cook them in the crockpot to use in other recipes that call for cooked chicken breasts. How long do you cook them, how much and what kind of liquid do you add, etc.

Thanks,
    denise

It really depends on your crockpot. I have an older model (about 4 years old, not ancient) that cooks boneless, skinless breasts in about 4 1/2 hours on low. I usually just spray the pot with no-stick spray and throw them in there with a a quarter cup of water, broth or wine and some salt and pepper.

Just be careful because lots of recipes say 6-8 hours and for many crockpots, that is just way too long. You'll get stringy, icky chicken.

How many are you cooking? How big is your crockpot?

Both of these things can greatly influence how long you cook them. If you're only doing 3 or 4 and it's a fairly large crockpot, they can cook pretty quickly. I think my larger one can cook that amount in probably 2 hours on low. If you are cooking more or your crockpot is smaller, perhaps longer. You can check them every half hour after the first hour or so to be sure.

Alysha

Denise -- I definitely wouldn't cook in the crockpot as there is no point and it is going to produce an inferior chicken breast in my experience.

The easiest way to cook for future salads is to wrap the breasts in tin foil with some flavoring agent -- whatever appeals -- I tend to use soy with garlic and then bake for about 20 minutes. This produces a very moist flavorful breast with less effort than the crockpot (as least in my opinion.)

I am not a huge fan of the crockpot for chicken anyway as I think it is best suited for tough cuts of meat or stuff like beans or chili which can take the abuse anyway.