Community Message Boards

Thread: Anybody Grind their own Turkey Breast Meat?

Anybody Grind their own Turkey Breast Meat?

Hi,
    I used to love to cook with plain ol' ground turkey that you find in the meat dept of the grocery, but for some reason lately, I find the strong dark-meat turkey flavor off-putting. (It never used to taste that strong to me before.) Anyway... I have bought and used the 100% breast meat ground and I like it very much. (Besides, this fits in better with my WW CORE program.) It's just soooo d*mn expensive! I have a Kitchen Aid meat grinder attachment for my mixer. Has anyone ever bought a whole turkey breast, deboned it and then run it through the grinder?

Would this work? I don't think they add anything to that ground breast to keep it moist, but I'm not sure. I was thinking maybe I would brine the breast before grinding it. Do you think that would help? Any ideas?

Thanks,

Renée
    Happiness is a good piece of chocolate and a good cup of coffee.

I grind my own turkey meat -- of course you can debone and deskin. I generally get lazy and use the deboned breasts.

I wouldn't dream of eating anything but the 99% fat free ground turkey breast -- the other stuff uses skin and other parts of the turkey I wouldn't eat.

The grinder on the KA would be perfect although I do mine in the food processor.

I grind both chicken and turkey myself. I buy both on the bone and with skin and remove the meat. I don't like the taste or odor from the all ready ground in the store. I also do mine in the food processor but am thinking about getting the Kitchen Aid grinder.

Not sure if the stores add anything to make it moist but I do notice it is drier than I would like. But what I have been doing lately is dicing carrots, onions, celery and saute it in a little chicken broth and when veggies are soft and broth almost evaporated I will cool it and then add to my ground chicken and make a pattie. Not as dry as before.
    * I ONLY FAIL IF I GIVE UP *

99% ff turkey breast bought at the store is dry -- after all, fat is what makes a meat moist.

That said, I don't have any problems using it as I don't want the additional fat. If I am making meatloaf, I generally add veggies and some type of liquid (tomato paste, hoisin sauce).

If I am using the ground meat in a casserole, I really don't care since there are other ingredients providing moisture.

I don't use it for plain hamburgers so I can't comment on that

Stores add a whooooooole heck of a lot to ground meats. You probably don't want to know :-)

I grind my own turkey (and chicken) in my food processor with just the chopper blade. It helps to cut it into cubes first, don't fill the bowl more than 1/2 full and use short bursts otherwise you will grind it to moosh. It also helps lots to lightly freeze the meat first. You don't want it frozen hard, just enough to firm it up. That makes cubing it easier and it grinds better too. I hate boning meat but if you use the bones in a soup you can ease your conscience if you don't manage to cut all the meat off.
    "When you are in love with someone you want to be near him all the time, except when you are out buying things and charging them to him." Miss Piggy

Thanks! I ground my own turkey breast yesterday. It was pretty easy to cut off the bones. I divided it into 1 lb pacackages, vacuum sealed them and then tossed them in the freezer. I'll probably use them in cassaroles, or meatloaf.

Renee
    Happiness is a good piece of chocolate and a good cup of coffee.