Community Message Boards

Thread: IS there a "rule of thumb" for how many potatoes to peel?

IS there a "rule of thumb" for how many potatoes to peel?

I am making mashed potatoes and can never figure out how many I need to peel.

Is there any magic way to know how many potatoes mashed feed how many people?

thanks!
    Julie

I just think of how many whole baked potatoes each person would eat, and go from there. I usually add a couple extra, too, because people tend to pile up masheds on their plates. For BF and me, I'll usually mash 5 medium-sized potatoes, counting on having some left over for the next day.

Although I have found that low-carb diets have really put a dent in the number of potatoes people are willing to eat...
    -Rebecca

Endurance comes from exhaustion. Keep running!
    --DH, aka "Coach"

I don't know if there is a "rule" per se, but I usually use one decent sized potato per person + one or two extras, depending on the size of the crowd.
    "Life is a cookie."
    Alan Arkin, Grosse Pointe Blank

I agree with Andrea. My Mom and Grandma always said one potato per person with maybe one or two extra for the pot.

When it's just DH and I though, I do make more like 5 but just because we like leftovers (and there's usually always leftover of the main course anyway, so I make little "tv dinners" with all the leftovers).

North of the ocean, South of the Freeway, Mississippi Gulf Coast
    Dissenting view here, heh, heh. (Isn't there always one?)

When I just want to add mashed potatoes as a side vegetable to a regular meal, I just use one large baking potato for each two people. Add some butter, some milk, and really, it's more than enough for two, if you're planning a typical 'meat and two or three' meal.
    Anna
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    A fruit is a vegetable with looks and money.
    Plus, if you let fruit rot, it turns into wine,
    something Brussels sprouts never do.
    P. J. O'Rourke, humorist
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Originally posted by Little Bit
    Dissenting view here, heh, heh. (Isn't there always one?)

When I just want to add mashed potatoes as a side vegetable to a regular meal, I just use one large baking potato for each two people. Add some butter, some milk, and really, it's more than enough for two, if you're planning a typical 'meat and two or three' meal.
    You clearly didn't grow up in my house...no way would that be enough! But I can pack away mashed potatoes like no one's business...
    -Rebecca

Endurance comes from exhaustion. Keep running!
    --DH, aka "Coach"

thanks for all the input, but I agree with beckms. Mashed potatoes was a staple at our house when I was growing up, so it is the same with our kids.

It makes sense that I peel 5 medium sized potatoes for DH & me, so if that stands true, I would peel 5 more for my son & his wife, and 5 more for my daughter and her husband, making a total of 15 potatoes!!!!

If I used some of the other guidelines, I would have 6 people meaning I would peel 6 and add 2 for the pot.

Now, there is a big difference between 8 and 15.
    Julie