Community Message Boards

Thread: Experienced Canners: One jar didn't seal. Now what?

Experienced Canners: One jar didn't seal. Now what?

I'm sure the answer is already here somewhere, but I couldn't figure out how to narrow down my search.

I canned some pickled okra this morning and I just removed the rings from the jars. All but one of my jars seems to have sealed. What can I do about the one that didn't? Do I throw it out or can I boil it again?

Thanks!!
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day. ~E.B. White

North of the ocean, South of the Freeway, Mississippi Gulf Coast
    I've never made pickled okra, but if it were me, I'd either a) just store the jar in the fridge, for essentially immediate consumption or b) try again with a new lid and a new band, but double check the rim of the jar, new lid and new band for any damage or flaw, nicks or cracks, also for any contaminant (i.e., sugar or something) that might have gotten right on the rim of the jar to prevent a seal.
    Anna
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    A fruit is a vegetable with looks and money.
    Plus, if you let fruit rot, it turns into wine,
    something Brussels sprouts never do.
    P. J. O'Rourke, humorist
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The first time I made cucumber pickles I didn't get the brine levels right. I wanted to open the jars, reheat and recan them. But Beth mentioned that they would end up soggy if I cooked them any longer. Her recommendation was just to store in the fridge. That's probably what you should do too.

Hi,
    It's nice to hear that others can Pickled Okra also. I have the same problem with sealing now and then. I've tried the re-boiling in a pan of water and changing the lid and ring, both of which worked. The last time my jar didn't seal I took the lid and ring off and put the jar in the microwave and cooked it till it boiled about 2-3 mins. I put a new lid and ring on the VERY hot jar and it sealed.
    Just another way of doing things.....

Happy cooking,
    Lovecookin

The safest bet is to put the unsealed jar in the fridge and have it be your first to use jar -- the sample of things to come. That's what I generally do.

I once pulled a jar out of the canning pot with a lid that was buldged up like I had never seen. While it was still hot, I opened it, and sure enough, there was jam around the edge and it would never have sealed. I wiped it off and immediately put it back in the canner, but had it cooled and then discovered it had not sealed -- would have gone into the fridge.

Some things can be reheated (have to bring to a boil) and reprocessed, but you do risk overcooking or breakdown in foods that need to retain texture.

Thanks to all of you!

I went ahead and put that jar in the refrigerator to be used first. I definitely didn't want to end up with mushy okra. Blech!

And, welcome to Lovecookin. I noticed this was your first post. I hope you enjoy it around here as much as the rest of us do!!
    I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day. ~E.B. White