Community Message Boards
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Poll: Favorite products which have been discontinued

In the wine department, Vichon carried a chevrignon that was awesome. We all have such varied wine tastes, I'll bet no one else has ever heard of it. They've moved on to some Mediterranean chardonnays and merlots that are not as good (IMHO).

Question

Have you ever tried contacting the companies? I'd look on their site to see if you can find anything out. Maybe they will even send some to you....all of you listed big companies. I sometimes have my grocery store manager order things for me. I may have to be alittle 'firm' with them, but I know this can be done. They can't bamboozel me!
    Good luck with your favorite products! Heck I'll even check my area for things and send them to you! I know we have those chili cheese fritos!

I can't get HC low fat cheese any more either. I just thought it was my town. Also used to be able to get Thomas english muffins, the only kind I like, and now they are nowhere to be found in this town. Boo, Hiss. They try to be progressive, but they have no idea how.

I am still upset that Hershey's discontinued their reduced fat chocolate chips!

pammy--oooh! yummy queso dip-yes I know its gone!! heat it up & eat it with pretzels-fabulous. I haven't found a suitable replacement either. Also can't find Velvet peanut butter. Sigh...

Mint chocolate chips from -- ahem!-- that company we no longer mention around here...

--oh, and those Ziplock veggie storage bags.

They discontinued my veggie storage bags??

You're kidding me! (I still have a package or two socked away in my pantry... fortunately... do you still have mint chocolate chips?)

HC bran flake cereal. Tasted like fortune cookies, which I love. I also remember these great granola bars from my childhood. They were long and round, had a center of nougat, and a layer of caramel. Not the healthiest granola bar, but oh so tasty. Strawberry Fruit Wrinkles. Green apple Fruit Roll-ups. Keebler Suncherros corn chips. 7-Up Gold and Tahitian Treat soda. Wow, what happened to all that stuff?????

I also miss the M&M Royals, big time!!!!
    My father loves these. During Christmas (maybe Easter as well), M&M puts out mint flavored M&Ms. He stocks up enough to last him the rest of the year. Not all stores carry them so you may have to look around.

Jewel,
    That sounds neat! Do you think you may be able to find some formula that was used for the vanilla sorbet since it has been discontinued? I would also be interested to hear what type of vanilla was used (extract, beans, other?). Let me know if you could find out anything at all about it.

All the talk about mint chocolate reminded me of some candy bars I recall Hershey's making back in 1992 that were mint chocolate. Those were great.

Am I the only one who misses Pepsi Lite?

"The time is right for Pepsi Lite,
    Lemony Pepsi Lite,
    We put a little lemony taste in
    and took out half the calories"

I'm probably one out of a dozen people who actually drank (and enjoyed) the stuff.

Check out www.hometownfavorites.com for food items you can't find anywhere.

I've been trying to find Lipton's Sour Cream and Chive Noodles and have not been successful. They were delicious with a steak! Totally unhealthy, but it was a nice treat once in a while. I haven't confirmed with Lipton that they have stopped making this item, but I can't find it anywhere. For the longest time I couldn't find Healthy Choice jarred spaghetti sauce. After a long time, our local food store started to carry it again. For people on low salt diets, HC's spaghetti sauces are low in sodium but still taste good.

Speaking of Pepsi, does anyone remember the Clear Pepsi they made several years ago for a very short time?

Originally posted by SusieO:
    This is really a good thing, but Ben & Jerry's discontinued two of my favorite flavors: Dastardly Mash, and the peanut-butter ice cream with chocolate chips (Tuskegee Chunk?). It's been many years since I've seen them. Unfortunately, they still make Phish food . . .
    Unfortunately?

I'm really disappointed in B&J's lately. They changed their formula for Cherry Garcia; they now use horrid little maraschinos instead of big beautiful burgundied cherries. Seems that when they were "bought out" things just went to pot...

I've switched over entirely to Godiva truffle icecreams and Edy's Dreamery. Next thing you know, those will be inferior too!

[This message has been edited by lorilei (edited 03-08-2001).]

B&J brings me to another discontinued item -- their White Russian ice cream.

I don't know about the quality of ingredients, but I unfortunately found the B&J mixed ice cream flavors and man, are they good. I've been avoiding that section of the store ever since I discovered them.

My favorite was Haagen-Dazs's deep chocolate peanut butter ice cream! About a million calories, but it was to die for! I also was the kiss of death for salsa -- once I fell in love with a salsa, it disappeared from the grocery store. I haven't thought about this for years, but does anyone remember Bonomo turkish taffy? You smacked it on a counter to break it into pieces. I used to love the vanilla and the banana; they also made strawberry and chocolate.

Originally posted by Jewel:
    We should run the food marketing business, shouldn't we? I'll be OK until they decide to take my Hormel Turkey Pepperoni away from me. The day I lose my Pepperoni and Lowfat Mozzarella I will be curled up in a corner shaking uncontrollably, while scaring the dog. Heaven help them then...[/B]
    Jewel, the worst has happened here in my smallish (50,000) town in Wisconsin. I have talked to every purveyor and the Turkey Pepperoni just wasn't moving, so *poof* it is gone. I now buy a load when in MN visiting family and bring it home. I was so mad!

Aha -- I thought of another one!

Journey beverage company had a great soda "Thai lemongrass" which I discovered sometimes last summer. It was THE most refreshing citrus beverage - perfect for a hot summer day; and it had WAY less sugar than other carbonated beverages. Well, wouldn't you know it? They discontinued it by Fall.

I still have 2 cans left... and I'm hoarding them!

[This message has been edited by lorilei (edited 03-08-2001).]

I, too, miss Ziploc's veggie bags. I also miss Cornquistos -- those little nacho cheese flavored cracker-things that are like Combos but much, much better. And I haven't been able to find Carnation Instant Breakfast Bars in years, although I'm not entirely sure they've been discontinued. Maybe it's just Oregon.

Originally posted by AD:
    Jewel,
    That sounds neat! Do you think you may be able to find some formula that was used for the vanilla sorbet since it has been discontinued? I would also be interested to hear what type of vanilla was used (extract, beans, other?). Let me know if you could find out anything at all about it.

Sorry AD, I left that company at the end of the year! Can't find out secret recipes...I do know, however, that most premium ice creams use the vanilla bean in their recipes as opposed to the extracts. At least I was able to have my fun with my SPOON TOUR of the plant before I left the company!

All the talk about mint chocolate reminded me of some candy bars I recall Hershey's making back in 1992 that were mint chocolate. Those were great.

Originally posted by Linda in MO:
    I used to love Carnation breakfast bars! I ate them a lot when I was younger, but I haven't seen them in years.
    I loved those too - ate them all the time. I look everyonce in a while - but you're right - I haven't seen them in a while.

Candy bar talk made me remember my favorite from when I was a kid - Marathon Bars - braided caramel coated in chocolate. They were about a foot long. Yummmmm.

By the way - still jealous that some of you have chili cheese fritos - but at least now I know they exist - & even better - I'll be in Chicago for opening day of the Cubs!

[This message has been edited by Leanne (edited 03-08-2001).]

The veggie ziplock bags in question - are we talking the ones with the tiny holes in? If so there are piles of them at Price Club/Costco here in Toronto AND I just purchased Thomas English Muffins this morning at Loblaws - I guess we are getting all your cast-offs!

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Marathon Bars........ I completely forgot about those!!!

I liked the Taco Bell Light menu too. They discontinued the veggie bags? Boy, I must really be on the turnip truck!

Santa Barbara Winery had a riesling that I really loved called Paradis. I loved it with shrimp scampi and seafood stew. Von's Pavillions used to carry it if you couldn't make it to the winery.

A year ago last Christmas, some friends got me 4 bottles and told me that it was discontinued. Regretfully, they are gone now .

SandyDee!!!

YES -- Pitter Patter! I LOVED those things. They were very much like the old Do-si-dos. Now they've changed the formula for THAT too.

I am mourning the loss of Almond Butter Crunch Balance Bars.

For those of you who can't get the veggie Ziplocs, there is another brand of veggie bags that work well -- Evert-Fresh -- but they don't seal. I buy them on a spinning display in the produce department. They are green-colored bags in 3 different sizes.

Now why did you people have to go and mention Marathon Bars?? I'd completely forgotten about those things until they were brought up, and now I've got Caramel Envy...

Does anyone else remember a cereal called 'Orange Kwangaroos'? Looked like Orange Kix? They got rid of those things when I was a teenager, and both my father and I are still grieving.

And back on our Healthy Choice thing, if any of you like the Healthy Choice Alfredo sauce in a jar, you'd better stock up. I can only find it at one store in town now, which is Albertsons, and the manager told me that sales better pick up or it's toast. Really good on penne pasta, tossed with grilled chicken! You've been warned!!

I say we send Lanie to Costco and make her buy for us! She can go into business, selling veggie bags to us in the U.S. at a profit, get herself one of those credit card imprinters... oh wait. Those are passe now, aren't they..?

As for the mint-chocolate, guess I'll have to check Marshall Fields and Trader Joe's, hmm? Thanks for the leads.

BTW, I thought of another thing I miss and I'm probably the only one who does. I miss waxed paper bags-- we were using them up until recently since we figured they were more biodegradable than the plastic. Now they're gone and it's back to the stuff from the roll.

Am I a dinosaur or what? Don't like microwaves, don't have cable TV, still use waxed paper...

[This message has been edited by Gail (edited 03-08-2001).]

Does anyone remember pudding roll-ups. They made these about 15 years ago, I think. My husband says they never existed and I made them up, but they made butterscotch and chocolate and they were next to the fruit roll ups. Sad to say, but I loved these. But I was 7 or 8.

Not to sound like a complete snob but the things that I really love haven't been discontinued, but exist only in another country, like Kinder Bueno bars and Soy Nice chocolate soy milk, which I understand is avaliable in Canada. Oh well.

And I remember Crystal Pepsi. My mom bought it a couple of times. It was gross.

KimKelly,

I owe you one! I just came home from Trader Joe's with a couple of bags of mint chocolate chips, which I see, by the way, are made with Ghiradelli chocolate.

Thanks so much!

No Problem Gail. You actually beat me to the post! I was at Trader Joes today too. Mine did not have the mint chips in stock, said they may be a holiday item. You may want to stock up! I love those guittard big chips that they have, but come late spring last year they stopped carrying them and did not get them again till the holidays. We have stocked up so much this year that I probably will have some left at Christmas still.

Glad to help.

Kim