Community Message Boards
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Poll: Favorite products which have been discontinued

Arby's lowfat menu (chicken breast sandwiches, etc.)

A coffee drink called CAPPIO that came in an amber-glass bottle -- kind of like a beer bottle. Think it was Maxwell House -- I loved that!

For awhile my local grocery store in Portland, Oregon was carrying Itsits, a very wonderful ice cream treat from San Francisco. I'm sure they are still being made, but I'm sad I can't just buy them anymore. Although they were deadly sinful -- ice cream sandwich type things, with graham cracker crusts covered in crackly chocolate!

Lisa
    Lisa

Unhappy

Have Royal Crown Sour candies truly been discontinued. I remember eating those when I was in high school in the 60s. I thought those things would never go out of date - they were just soooo good.

Jell-O Pudding Pops

Quote Originally Posted by Jewel
    Does anyone get the idea that healthy is 'out'? This surprises me since the diet and fitness craze has never been more prevalent. You'd think that the fatfree and lower fat items would be flying off the shelves, and the full fat stuff would be sitting there! As a society are we that ignorant?? It just bothers me that as soon as I find something lowfat that my husband and I enjoy, I automatically buy a stock of the item and put it in my basement.
    I think that the issue is more that society and therefore the marketers are realizing that the low-fat "fake" foods are not healthy. They are full of non-food items and are created in a lab. What the trend is currently is more whole, unrefined foods. That is why the "healthy" craze now is leaning toward a surge in organic and natural foods. Wal-mart (which I won't shop at) now advertises they are carrying a large selection of organic foods. Unfortunately the large conglomerate food companies are buying up the little companies that produce the organic items and they are lobbying successfully to water down the organic standards. The result is no matter what you buy, you have to read labels and be informed of where your food comes from.

Fat is not necessarily evil healthwise, you body needs fat to work properly. I tend not to believe the traditional diet dictocrat info and tend to side with the research that shows that eating the right kind of natural fats is best. We use pastured beef (which is naturally low-fat) and poultry, farm-raised, free-range eggs, Virgin Coconut oil, Organic EVOO, and butter. If you eat a balanced diet of real food, your body knows what to do with those natural fats. We also supplement with Cod Liver Oil. All our health is pretty good and DH and my cholesterol is perfectly normal.

More info on this can be found at Weston A. Price Foundation

Also, I use the Evert Fresh Bags mentioned earlier, they work great, you can rinse them out and re-use them many times. I order the combo pack on QVC as it is the cheapest I have seen them. We love them. I also like the Tupperware Fridgesmart containers, they really work!!

I don't know if this is discontinued, but Lipton had a cold-brew ice tea bag a while back, they made a decaf version, but it was only available in the south. My aunt would bring me some from FL. Last time I was in FL I could not find it. It was so easy to make and tasted great.

Also, my latest problem item is from our co-op, I used to order the cases of organic juice boxes, now they aren't available in our delivery area. I could find some to buy at WF, but they cost way too much that way. I have cut down the juice my kids drink, so now I just buy the regular juice boxes at Costco for the times I need them, but since most of the fruits used for juice are the ones that are most heavily sprayed with pesticides and then the juice just concentrates that, I hate buying them.

Lisa

Quote Originally Posted by Julzer
    Jell-O Pudding Pops

Julzer -- see my post (#100 on page 4) on this thread!

I might add the Wendy's SuperBar to my list. Does anyone else remember thes?e It had three stations: a pasta and garlic bread station, a taco bar station, and a salad station. Even now that I am vegetarian I would still eat at one of these during travel, when often I end up eating nuts and crackers from the gas station!
    My BGF and I would go there on a Friday night before football games in high school and fill up. We sure did get our $4 worth!

I really miss the Saran brand "Cutting Sheets", they were great for the advertised use, cutting chicken etc. I also liked them for cutting baked goods and fruits. Sometimes my cutting boards would give a faint onion or garlic taste to fruits and cake layers, squares. One of these disposable sheets was always fresh and odor/taste free.

Also miss Laura Secord Swiss Almond Mocha Ice Cream, Diet Cranberry Ginger Ale, Snack Bars and Decaf Sugar Free Iced Tea, either powdered mix or canned.

Also miss Tahiti Treat soda.

Quote Originally Posted by Julzer
    Jell-O Pudding Pops
    They brought them back a few years ago. They are now made by Popsicle and they have a product locator. When they 1st came back I bought about 4 or so boxes at once, I would not be burned again .

http://www.icecreamusa.com/locator/

Go here, The brand is Popsicle and then scroll down to Jell-o pudding pops, it will tell you somewhere in your area.
    Ashley

The instant we become an adult is the moment when the instinct to love is greater than the desire to be loved

Quote Originally Posted by acginkc
    They brought them back a few years ago. They are now made by Popsicle and they have a product locator. When they 1st came back I bought about 4 or so boxes at once, I would not be burned again .

http://www.icecreamusa.com/locator/

Go here, The brand is Popsicle and then scroll down to Jell-o pudding pops, it will tell you somewhere in your area.

Thanks for sharing! I will be looking for these.

Quote Originally Posted by SandyDee View Post
    And I haven't been able to find Pitter Patter Cookies in eons. Can't even remember who made them, but they were the best peanut butter cookie on the shelf. Sigh!
    Pitter Patter is made by Keebler.

I found pitter patter at a country store in the middle of nowhere around 2000 but I have started looking for them again after I bought some girl scout cookie that taste just like them.
    As I was leaving the filling station yesterday these girls and their mothers were setting up and I bought the two kinds of peanut butter cookies they had and the one looked like the pitter patter and tasted just like it when I got home.
    If you really like these cookies go hunting for a girl scout.

I also wanted to say that the Chili cheese fritos are still sold at krogers in Maysville Kentucky.

I really miss the Burger Chef!!!
    Last edited by NoGood; 03-11-2007 at 10:17 PM. Reason: to add a comment

At some miniscule point in time, Jello made Instant Chocolate Mint Pudding. I snagged one only, like an idiot. Now I hoard in it hopes of finding it on the shelves again so I can finally try it. It would kill me to try it, find out I LIKE it, and then never be able to have it again.

Anyone else ever seen/tried it?
    Erin

"Eating peanut butter is a sacred act, not to be defiled by pork or its substitutes."

-generic

New favorite bumper sticker: "Go Green. Recycle Yourself. Become an Organ and Tissue Donor."

Quote Originally Posted by ErinM View Post
    At some miniscule point in time, Jello made Instant Chocolate Mint Pudding. I snagged one only, like an idiot. Now I hoard in it hopes of finding it on the shelves again so I can finally try it. It would kill me to try it, find out I LIKE it, and then never be able to have it again.

I don't recall if I've had this before or not. I probably did since my mom is a mint chocolate fiend.

I'd check out Woodman's grocery store. The one near me has a huge selection of Jello puddings and gelatin flavors. They also sell Blue Bunny ice cream and popsicles--I got hooked on the cherry icecicles in the hospital, and Woodman's is the only local place that carries the Blue Bunny brand.
    If loving me is wrong, you don't want to be right.

Don't touch the hair!
    JB

Quote Originally Posted by mbrogier View Post
    I don't recall if I've had this before or not. I probably did since my mom is a mint chocolate fiend.

I'd check out Woodman's grocery store. The one near me has a huge selection of Jello puddings and gelatin flavors. They also sell Blue Bunny ice cream and popsicles--I got hooked on the cherry icecicles in the hospital, and Woodman's is the only local place that carries the Blue Bunny brand.
    I have. Everytime I go, I check just to be sure. I don't know if this was an item that was test marketed and failed, thus causing it's supply to be purchased by grocery store in the rural NE town that shall not be named that I spent Purgatory in (they tend to do that) or if it was an actual item that was available nationwide.
    Erin

"Eating peanut butter is a sacred act, not to be defiled by pork or its substitutes."

-generic

New favorite bumper sticker: "Go Green. Recycle Yourself. Become an Organ and Tissue Donor."

I saw Jello Pudding cups (the already made little cups sold in the refrigerated section) that were Chocolate Mint just yesterday at my local Kroger. Didn't buy them because my DS isn't crazy about mint, but now that I think about it, I think I'll go buy some just for me!

About 8 or 9 years ago, I was able to buy a tropical lemonade by Minute Maid - one of those frozen concentrates. It was sooo good. Sometimes I wonder if it was a figment of my imagination, because I've never run across anyone else that ever heard of it.
    Julie

Quote Originally Posted by schuh View Post
    Oh, I forgot one more -- my favorite candy bar as a kid: Maple Cream Buns. It was a circle instead of a bar, with cream on the bottom, and peanuts and chocolate on top. It's probably good this was discontinued... One less temptation.
    I think you can still buy them on the internet. Do a Google for old fashion candy or retro candy. I know I saw them a few months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by schuh View Post
    Oh, I forgot one more -- my favorite candy bar as a kid: Maple Cream Buns. It was a circle instead of a bar, with cream on the bottom, and peanuts and chocolate on top. It's probably good this was discontinued... One less temptation.
    OMG - I LOVE a Maple Bun. It's been so long

The original post is six years old
    Last edited by mikesmom; 03-13-2007 at 01:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pammy View Post
    How many of us have found wonderful products, purchased them regularly and faithfully, only to search frantically when they are no longer on the market?
    Not that it is discontinued by the manufacturer, but it has been discontinued from EVERY grocery store in the area. I even tried out of state grocers while on vacation (Oregon, Utah, Washington) to no avail. I even emailed the manufacturer and they assured me that it was still being made. I wonder where it is being sold? Maybe on ebay. Anyway the product is Cinnamon Pecan (there are 2 other flavors available) Quaker Oats Supreme. It was so much better than the "add hot water" kind--much more of a chew to it. Anyway, no one carries it or the other flavors.
    Name:  supremeCinnamonPecan.bmp
Views: 1754
Size:  44.6 KB

Also, while we're on the subject, Post Raisin Bran has been advertising on the back of their boxes a new cereal Post Fruit and Bran. They have advertised for over a year and I've never seen it in any store, either.
    Name:  fruitbran.jpg
Views: 1751
Size:  7.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by mikesmom View Post
    OMG - I LOVE a Maple Bun. It's been so long

The original post is six years old
    Google Maple Bun. You can still buy them online.

AND Amazon sells my oatmeal (a case at a time but who cares?)!!

Whatever happened to Wendy's Fresh Stuffed Pita's? They were around in the late 90's and I used to eat them now and then when I was on the run and looking for some semi-healthy fast food.

Quote Originally Posted by cocoa'smom View Post
    I saw Jello Pudding cups (the already made little cups sold in the refrigerated section) that were Chocolate Mint just yesterday at my local Kroger. Didn't buy them because my DS isn't crazy about mint, but now that I think about it, I think I'll go buy some just for me!

OOH! I'm going to look for those! Never considered those!
    Erin

-generic

Quote Originally Posted by Gail View Post
    ...about those mint chocolate chips...let's put it this way. I have checked N..... (I'm not giving those folks anymore plugs on this board), Hershey, Ghiradelli, Godiva and Guitard's web sites. None lists mint chips in their product line.
    i thought i remembered seeing them at the store recently, so i checked the hershey canada site, and sure enough they have em!

StretchTite plastic wrap. Loved it, loved it, loved it. Gone from Costco (replaced by Kirkland brand), gone from Trader Joe's. Anyone still able to get it, or know if it's being sold under another name?

I didn't read every post, so my apologies if this is duplicate info...but here's a source for mint chocolate chips...

http://www.preparedpantry.com/index....ROD&ProdID=967
    Terri _A
    I'm anal retentive. I'm a workaholic. I have insomnia. And I'm a control freak. That's why I'm not married. Who could stand me?” -Madonna

Read my ramblings about food and my nutty life on A Girl in the South!

Quote Originally Posted by Goldie View Post
    StretchTite plastic wrap. Loved it, loved it, loved it. Gone from Costco (replaced by Kirkland brand), gone from Trader Joe's. Anyone still able to get it, or know if it's being sold under another name?
    This stuff is great! You can get it directly from them

https://www.stretchtite.com/order.htm

I've had a hard time finding it in local stores, but I did happen to come across it at a kitchen store today in Des Moines of all places!
    Joe

Pictures and recipes of our Cooking and Baking!
    http://desertculinary.blogspot.com/

Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces. ~Judith Viorst

My husband and I also loved the "cheesy quesadilla" chips by Tostitoes...I think they also had "Salsa Sour Cream" baked low-fat chips. that we really enjoyed too. They may not have discontinued it, but Tostitoes makes (made) a "Restaurant Style Salsa" that I love(d). They don't sell it down here in the Detroit area anymore. I was able to get it in Cheboygan (upper Michigan) but now they stopped selling it there too. It's the only salsa I like(d). Not too sweet or thick. My husband and I also enjoyed Oregons Trail Carrot Cake...the best ever...gone!!!

Whoever was looking for the Ginger Altoids--they are still available. You can buy them at Amazon.

My husband misses a chocolate bar he had growing up in Canada called Cuban Lunch. Darla

Hey Erin-
    I remember reading this and saw Chocolate Mint Pudding at Walmart yesterday. The search engine worked (YAY!) and I found this thread! Anyhow, I'll pick some up for you if you (or anyone else for that matter)! Send me a PM if you're interested
    - Kiran

I'm glad this thread popped up today. I ran out of Hershey's dutch processed cocoa and went to the store to find it. Then I went to another and another. Finally, when I got home I looked up the Hershey website to find that they have discontinued the "European Style" dutch processed cocoa. Now I have to find a store that carries dutch processed cocoa. I'll try Whole foods, but was still bummed to find that a product I've been using so long has been discontinued.