Community Message Boards

Thread: Pork Chops with Apples and Thyme: Eating Well Fall 04

Thumbs up Pork Chops with Apples and Thyme: Eating Well Fall 04

An excellent recipe from EW's Fast and Easy section. I used apples from our tree, neglected to peel them , but they still cooked up soft. The sauce is wonderful and makes lots- enough to pour over baked halves of acorn squash. Also had steamed zucchini as a side. An easy weeknight meal.

Pork Chops with Apples & Thyme
    Eating Well Fall 2004

Round out the meal with quick barley and pureed squash (frozen squash is very convenient).

3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
    2 teaspoons cornstarch
    2 teaspoons canola oil
    4 4-ounce boneless pork chops, 1/2 inch thick, trimmed
    1 small onion, sliced
    1 tart apple, such as Granny Smith, peeled and sliced
    1/4 cup apple cider or apple juice
    2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
    1/4 teaspoon dried thyme

1. Mix 2 tablespoons broth and cornstarch in a small bowl.

2. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over high heat. Add chops and cook until browned, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.

3. Reduce heat to medium-high and add onion to the pan. Cook, stirring often, until it starts to soften and brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Add apple and cook, stirring often, until tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in the remaining broth, cider (or juice), mustard, thyme and the cornstarch mixture. Bring to a boil, stirring, until thickened and glossy, about 1 minute. Return the chops to the pan and heat through. Serve immediately.

Makes 4 servings.
    Per serving: 219 calories; 9 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono); 67 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrate; 24 g protein; 1 g fiber; 102 mg sodium.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you are a dreamer, come in. If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a hoper, a prayer, a magic-bean-buyer. If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire, for we have some flax-golden tales to spin. Come in! Come in! Shel Silverstein, Where the Sidewalk Ends.

thanks Julie! I LOVE pork and apples!!!
    Charisse

Thx for posting this, Julie! I haven't gotten this issue of EW yet and this recipe sounds great!

I thought this was excellent also! Not lots of ingrediants but big taste. Easy. Made the house smell wonderful too!
    Patty

Thanks for posting the recipe, Julie! The ingredient list is very doable for my current situation. Looking forward to trying this one very soon!

Peggy
    To take the first step in faith, you don't have to see the whole staircase: just take the first step. - Dr. Martin Luther King

I made this last night and thought it was wonderful! It had a nice, subtle flavor. I served it with red bliss potatoes with the sauce drizzled over them--YUM!! Thanks for sharing!
    "Nobody likes beets, Dwight! Why don't you grow something that everybody does like? You should grow candy" -Michael Scott

Bringing up an older recipe. We had this last night and agree with the positive reviews-easy and delicious. I served it with another old recipe- Wheat Berry-Stuffed Winter Squash from CL-Jan/Feb/ 01 which was also a winner. It smelled and tasted like fall here last night!

Thanks Terry, it is on my menu for tomorrow night! I forgot about that recipe.
    "There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer