Community Message Boards

Thread: Changing really high lightbulbs

Changing really high lightbulbs

No, this isn't a joke!

We have a super high entryway - basically 2 stories. The lightbulbs need changing, and they are about 18 feet up. How in the heck are we supposed to change them? I don't really want to buy a new ladder (do they even make them that high?!?), and I don't know anyone that has one that tall. It would have to be a A-frame ladder, not an extension, since the wall isn't close to the lights.

While I was looking up there I also started thinking about painting...

Remind me to only buy houses with 1-story entryways from now on!!

Leigh, I think there's a type of extension grabber that will latch on to the bulb and remove it, then can be used to insert another bulb. I'll have to do some research, but I'd bet Home Depot would have something like it, or a lighting store.

Maybe someone else knows more about this?
    Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

you need something like this:

High Up Bulb Changing Thingee

I think this one is mostly designed for outdoor bulbs, but I've seen them specifically designed for exactly what you describe--an entry way or great room where the lights are WAAAAY up there. Chefzhat is right, Lowe's probably does have soemthing, or I'm sure you can find one on the web if you google around a bit.

I think you can get that thing at Home Depot. It has a suction cup that grabs the bulb.
    If loving me is wrong, you don't want to be right.

Don't touch the hair!
    JB

leightx,

We have a similar entry hall so I feel your pain! We use one of those extension poel with the light bulb changing attachment. I think we did buy it at Home Depot or Home Base. However, we also need a ladder to get up high enough. I'm afraid it takes both in our case. Perhaps you can borrow a ladder from a neighbor so you don't have to buy one.

I don't even want to think about painting that area!!

Peggy
    To take the first step in faith, you don't have to see the whole staircase: just take the first step. - Dr. Martin Luther King

Yep - I thought of those, but they won't work because the stupid lights are like chandeleirs - they swoop up and look like candles with those little "flame" bulbs in them. To complicate matters, there is a glass globe around the whole contraption. They're awful!

This is kind of what they look like (mine are uglier):

Any more ideas? Another bulb went out today - I'm sure they're all about to go out (there are 2 lights with 5 bulbs each).

Leigh--I'd call a rental place and see if they either hvae super high A-frame ladders or (probably safer) what it would cost to rent some scaffolding for a day. (we hvae a light over our stairwell that I've been wanting to replace--the entire fixture--since we moved in, but we've put it off for just this reason) And needless to say, once you're up there, however you get there, I'd change ALL teh bulbs.

Wow. If you're going to have to rent scaffolding, why don't you replace the whole fixture, while you're up there, with one that will let you change the bulbs with the pole thingy? (Don't tell me builders don't think of these things when they install fixtures. But hey, it won't be their problem when the bulbs burn out.)

Bumping this up to see if you ever found a solution, b/c we now have the same darn problem. Except ours is in a really high vaulted bedroom, and there is a dome covering it, so we can't use one of those pole attachment things either.

And....we're moving in a year so we don't want to spend the money on a huge ladder just for this or replacing the fixture.

We're going to have to have some work done on our air conditioners, and DH wants me to ask them to use their big ladders and change it for us. But I don't feel right asking them to do that (dragging a huge ladder into our house, up the stairs, climbing all the way up, changing the light, and then all the way back out again). If they had a way to charge us for it, that would be great, but I think it's asking too much to be like "By the way, while you're here.........". And I can't just borrow it myself b/c DH won't be here. Help!!!
    Amy

Om Mani Padme Hum

Quote Originally Posted by leightx
    Any more ideas? Another bulb went out today - I'm sure they're all about to go out (there are 2 lights with 5 bulbs each).
    It's a long shot but.......when a house builder installs this type of fixture he is supposed to put enough slack in the wiring to allow you to go into the attic and lower it to the floor so that the bulbs can be easily replaced.

If you have easy access to the fixture in the attic and the fixture isn't wired to do this, you might want to have an electrician correct the problem so that you won't have to get a tall ladder each time.

If you ever wondered how the bulbs are replaced in those huge chandeliers in public buildings with high ceilings, a lot of them have motorized systems that lower the fixture to floor level with the press of a button.

Well we ended up renting a huge ladder and changing the bulbs, and while we had the ladder we (ok, DH) cleaned the big arched window over our front door. It wasn't much to rent the ladder - maybe $10? Not the best solution - and I begged DH to change out the light fixtures when he was up there, but we couldn't find one we really liked. Good luck!

Where did you rent the ladder from? Do places like Home Depot or Lowes do that? And did you have a hard time transporting it to your house? Thanks!!
    Amy

Om Mani Padme Hum

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful_in_TX
    Where did you rent the ladder from? Do places like Home Depot or Lowes do that? And did you have a hard time transporting it to your house? Thanks!!

Here's a tip.

Most churches have tall ceilings and have a tall ladder to replace the light bulbs and do maintenance work, etc. Your place of worship is a good place to borrow something like this.

BTW, whenever you have to replace hard to reach bulbs it is a good idea to buy the highest quality, long life bulbs that you can get.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumbeaux
    Here's a tip.

Most churches have tall ceilings and have a tall ladder to replace the light bulbs and do maintenance work, etc. Your place of worship is a good place to borrow something like this.

That's great idea....but it would really help if we had a place of worship
    Amy

Om Mani Padme Hum