Community Message Boards

Thread: Pineapple- How long?

Pineapple- How long?

My DH brought home a pineapple last night from work. A co-worker bought back some from Hawaii. I am going out of town tomorrow for 5 days. Do you think it will last until I return or do I need to do something with it tonight?

I have been buying a pineapple every week recently to cut up for snacks during the work day. We usually pick them up on the weekend. One week, neither of us got around to cutting it up, and we did notice that by Friday or so (it was sitting on the counter all week long), it smelled very ripe. As soon as you walked into the kitchen, you could smell fresh pineapple. By the time we cut it, it was very ripe, possibly a tad overripe, but still very sweet and edible.

If they're already ripe pineapples, I'd say 5 days is cutting it pretty close, but if you cut them up as soon as you get back, you're probably fine. That said, I'm wondering if pineapples are like other fruit where you can slow down the ripening process by refrigerating them. You might try storing them in your fridge while you're gone to see if that helps.

Mmmmm, I love fresh pineapple.

Cool

I'll take it. I just ate my last this morning.

Five days is pushing it, especially if it's ripe, which it likely is (no green, smells sweet.) The books say they last about 3 days. I've pushed them longer than that, but they start getting sort of sickening after a while (and fruit flies start coming to live with you. ) You can take you chances and fridge it till you come back, or you can have SOME, fridge it and take your chances.

I don't suppose you can take a Tupperware with cut-up pineapple with you wherever you're going... Seems a shame to have it possibly go to waste.

I also think that it is cutting it fine, and you don't want to waste it. The pineapples I get here in Hawaii can be greenish and still be ripe. I actually let one of the first pineapples I purchased get to the yellow stage and it was very over-ripe inside. I usually go by smell. I found a little information on the Del Monte site.

Del Monte
    All That's Left Are The Crumbs

"You can never do a kindness too soon, because you never know how soon it will be too late"

"Great minds talk about ideas; small minds talk about people" - Eleanor Roosevelt

Thanks for the information. I guess I better figure out what I am going to do with it tonight. I really love pineapple and don't want to throw it out. Too bad it won't keep...I wanted to make the coconut shrimp with pineapple salsa when I return. Guess I will just have to buy another one.