Community Message Boards

Thread: Thanksgiving Gravy

Thanksgiving Gravy

For several years we have deep fried our turkey, and while it makes a great turkey, there are no drippings for gravy. Jarred gravy just doesn't make it. In this month's Women's Day magazine there is a recipe for Make ahead turkey gravy - made from roasting turkey wings ahead of time; and I might try that this year, unless I can get an easier idea! Any suggestions for great gravy without drippings?

This one has been on the board for a while. I haven't tried it, but I think others have so you'll probably get some reviews of it.

Make Ahead Turkey Gravy

Recipe By :unknown
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    4 turkey wings (about 3 lbs.) or 3 turkey legs
    2 medium onions -- peeled and quartered
    1 cup water or wine
    8 cups chicken broth
    3/4 cup chopped carrot
    1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
    3/4 cup all-purpose flour
    2 tablespoons butter or margarine
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Have a large roasting pan ready. Arrange wings in single layer in pan. Scatter onions over top. Roast 1 1/4 hours or until wings are browned.

Put wings and onions into 5-6 quart pot. Add water to pan and stir to scrape up any brown bits on bottom. Add to the pot. Add 6 cups broth (refrigerate remaining 2 cups), the carrot, and thyme. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered for 1 1/2 hours. Remove wings to a cutting board. When cool pull off skin and meat. Discard skin and save meat for another use.

Strain broth into 3 quart saucepan, pressing vegetables to extract as much liquid as possible. Discard veggies and skim fat off broth. Whisk flour into remaining 2 cups of broth until smooth. Bring broth in saucepan to a boil, slowly whisk in flour mixture, boil 3-4 minutes to thicken and remove floury taste. Stir in butter and pepper. Refrigerate up to one week or freeze up to three months.
    Yield: "8 cups"

Notes From someone off CL bb:

I added a couple of stalks of celery, about 5 peppercorns, and a few spigs of parsley when making the broth. I also used 1 1/2 lbs. turkey wings and 1 1/2 lbs. turkey backs. After I made the broth, I cooled it, then refrigerated it. I never added the additional 2 cups of chicken broth. The next day I scooped the fat off the top and took out 1 1/2 cups for my stuffing. I also used a little of the broth when reheating the smoked turkey and this kept it very moist. The rest I just put in a pan and heated it up and thickened with cornstarch to make gravy. It worked great! I will use this recipe again, but I'll probably just use all 8 cups of chicken broth right from the start.

I make giblet gravy.

I don't have the recipe with me right now, but can find it and post it later if you want. Just a brief summary, you simmer the giblets and turkey neck, strain, add herbs and seasonings, simmer some more, and thicken. It's great over mashed potatoes and cornbread dressing!
    <>< denise <><
    www.chequepointe.com

Make Ahead Turkey Gravy rocks. It's so great to have it done early - I make it 2 weeks ahead and freeze it.

I also add some turkey drippings when I reheat it (just a couple of tbsp, since I brine my turkey). I reheat slowly over the stove, stirring a lot, and it's great.
    Kim

Without music, life is a journey through a desert.
    -Pat Conroy

I will be traveling again for the next two weeks and get back from Beijing the day before Thanksgiving! I plan on making the gravy this weekend and stashing it in the freezer. At least that will be done. With jet lag I am going to need all the help I can get and the gravy will be one less thing to mess up. Doing this gravy before hand is absolutely the greatest...IMO

I second the giblet gravy idea. That is how I do it. I cook my turkey on the grill, so there are no drippings. I don't follow a recipe to make the gravy. I put the wings, neck, and gizzard/heart in a small pot with onion, celery, salt, pepper, and cover it with water and cook it like soup. I flavor the broth with chicken boullion paste, season again, after removing the meat. I pick off the meat and chop it up. Thicken the broth with Wondra usually, then add the meat back in. I think if you were able to get good juice from the roasted wings that would add good flavor, but I am skeptical on the quantity of juice you would get...it is worth it? I would think you could freeze the giblet gravy too, and you can definitely do it ahead. Good luck!

Definitely the make ahead turkey gravy. We deep fry one turkey here too, so I make that recipe and it turns out perfect everytime!

Thanks - I am going to make the make ahead gravy this year!

Me too!! Thanks so much! How strange this thread shows up, when just this morning, I was talking about possibly ordering a Deep Fried Turkey from this great BBQ place for Thanksgiving this year and then thought, oh no, what about gravy???
    Everyone needs to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. . .

Surprisingly, since it's not natural, I like the dry packets of gravy that McCormick's makes. Much better tasting than the stuff in glass jars. And fat free too. I make it secretly in the kitchen, and no one seems to know it isn't fresh made. Or at least I've had no complaints.

Had to tell a funny gravy story

Don't want to hijack this thread, but I had to share a funny gravy story. When my grandmother was still able to cook, she always made this truly vile giblet gravy that had chopped, hard boiled eggs in it of all things. I shudder just thinking about it! No one would touch the stuff except for my sweet husband. He tried my Mimi's gravy the first Thanksgiving dinner he shared with my family. Well, let's just say that Mimi's vision wasn't what it used to be and she hadn't strained it well and he broke a tooth on a bone. Now I make the make ahead gravy. There are never any hard boiled eggs (gross!) or bones!

I was searching for gravy recipes today and it's really weird about the chopped hard boiled eggs! I saw more than a few recipes calling for them.

I actually love chopping up hard boiled eggs and putting them in my beef top ramen that i'm totally addicted to!
    Everyone needs to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer. . .