Community Message Boards

Thread: Where to Buy Duck?

Question Where to Buy Duck?

So, I decided that since it was just the two of us this year for Thanksgiving, I'd make duck instead of Turkey since we like it better and it is smaller. I had even decided on the EW Fall 2004 duck recipe (halving it, of course). But now I'm not sure where I am going to get a whole duck. I have not seen any around here so I went to the Maple Leaf website. The duck is only $14.95 but it costs $24.95 to ship it. That seems like a lot to me so I'm wondering if anyone knows of a different source for duck. In the alternative, I'm open to other Thanksgiving for 2 ideas.

Thanks.
    Now, I don't know about you, but with me a feeling of fitness and well-being always lends extra zest to the cocktail hour ~ Christopher Hitchens

Jen,

Here in KC, you can buy whole, frozen ducks at most of the supermarkets -- even our Super Walmart carries them. Just look where the frozen turkeys are. Also, if you have a Whole Foods or Wild Oats, they carry duck. And we can special order fresh duck from the meat departments at the nicer supermarkets during the holiday season.
    Cindi in KC

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." Jim Elliot (1927-1956)

I'm not a duck eater, but I've seen them at groceries stores as well. You may even be able to find it at Costco this time of year.

I haven't seen them at the grocery stores out here but I guess I'll keep looking. I don't belong to Costco but there is a Super Walmart in Arkansas we sometimes frequent. I'll check there. Thanks!
    Now, I don't know about you, but with me a feeling of fitness and well-being always lends extra zest to the cocktail hour ~ Christopher Hitchens

You also might want to try the Fresh Market -- they seem to have a lot of things other stores in Mphs are constantly lacking.

I looked at the Fresh Market the other day (my FAVORITE store) and didn't see any but I think I'll go back and ask. I find it hard to believe that no one would have any.

OH my gosh jen, I was at this italian market this morning and I thought of you when I came across frozen duck. They had it for $11.99 so I'm hoping you can find it at your The Fresh Market, I'm surprised that place out of all places doesn't have it. I'd ask the manager for them to have it available at their store, I've done it before...remember they are there to serve you
    You can also call the walmart in AL in advance so you don't waste a trip up there.

Wink

KCSOCCER is right. You can buy frozen duck at Whole Foods, Wild Oats, or your local supermarket. If you have a meat market in your town, just ask your butcher to order one for you. If you can get Muscovy duck go for that one. It's leaner and more flavorful than most other ducks.